Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5d Mark 2 / or wait for 1d mark4...?

• 23-07-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for a opinion !, i currently have a 20D and a 30D and both have served me well but i think the time is right for me to upgrade. ( came close to purchasing a few months back but went on hols instead :)!!). I was looking at the 5d mark 2 or the 1d mark 3, but time has passed and maybe its worth waiting for the mark 4 as i am not in a rush. the idea of full frame i like, but the performance of the 1d series is very appealing. I'll be shooting a bit of everything but i do the odd wedding and have found the low light af performance of my current 20d/30d a bit lacking sometimes. the 5d is appealing due to its low light performance ( but i heard reports about banding @ low iso's ), the video aspect of it i dont really care for as i have a hd cam.
    any users have both cameras? , if you had to only keep one which one would you choose?... i realise they are different tools for different jobs but if you had to choose one..........:o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a bit of a price jump there! If you can afford a 1D then I don't see why the decision is so hard! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

its just that the mark 3 has been out for quite some time and is due for replacement soon, i know if i buy it the mark 4 will be announced the following day !:o, while the 5d is available now..... both are excellent cameras and i would perfer the 1d series but the rumour of the 16MP 1d mk4 is holding me back from the 5d mk2..... !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Try and find yourself a 2nd hand 5D in good condition, that way when a new 1D comes out you can upgrade without that much of a loss, if any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'd much prefer 'better lenses' than the slight differences in bodies, unless you've something very special that you need in a particular body, like FPS or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wait for the mkIV if I were you,Should be back on track again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

isn't that a bit like asking if you should by a sprots car or a SUV? As in 2 completely different reasons to own each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

5D MKII and 1D MK4.... seriously there's a massive price difference there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

it takes a stunning photographer to push the limits of what the 5dII can do, in fact unless you shooting extreme low light or printing bigger than A2, any as yet unreleased camera won't do any better than a 5dII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Same as the 50D v 5D thread TBH,If you shoot sport MKIV wedding and portraits 5D MKII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For any job the Mk3 will excel, the 5d/5dmk2 both have the same problem and thats low light af. No good having such good high iso performance if you cant focus on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The fact still remains that Moreilly is kind of saying "I have a nissan micra and I want to upgrade so I'm thinking of getting either a BMW M3 or a Ferrari 430"

If you can afford the 1D then get it but I'm guess you've overlooked the 1.5-2k price difference between both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

steve06 wrote: »
    The fact still remains that Moreilly is kind of saying "I have a nissan micra and I want to upgrade so I'm thinking of getting either a BMW M3 or a Ferrari 430"

If you can afford the 1D then get it but I'm guess you've overlooked the 1.5-2k price difference between both.

I would disagree, the 5dmk2 handling wise is very similar to the 20/30d and no big adjustments to move up to. Bit more of a steep learning curve moving up the the 1d bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

he 20d and 30d have served me well for the past few years and i generally don't upgrade very often but when i do i like to upgrade to something that is going to last, I find that in low light eg.. a bride walking up the isle in a dim church these cameras AF do not nail the shot often enough and from reading posts the AF on the 5D might not be that much better 21 Mpix is no good if the shot is out of focus. i agree there is a learning curve with the 1 series but i'll give it a go if the mk4 comes out!, but the basic principles should remain the same whether its a 1d series or a €300 slr....hopefully:o

Advertisement