Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Only 3.24GB memory showing in windows xp pro

• 23-07-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just upgraded from 3GB to 4GB on my HP NC6320, to find that only 3.24GB is showing up.
    I've learned later that I need 64bit!

Should I just wait for windows 7? There should be a 64bit version right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You have ways to see all 4GB. I'm not saying that the method is stable or needed for a home computer. Just saying..

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Also, remember, your graphics might be using RAM, in any case, your BIOS will definitely see the 4GB, but the full amount will not be viewable within Windows.

A limitation of the 32bit OS, as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Amalgam wrote: »
    You have ways to see all 4GB. I'm not saying that the method is stable or needed for a home computer. Just saying..

Also, remember, your graphics might be using RAM, in any case, your BIOS will definitely see the 4GB, but the full amount will not be viewable within Windows.

That's correct, a limitation of 3.3GB in 32-bit. Using that link to show 4GB will only do that, you'll never be able to utilise the whole amount.

And that's a perfect acceptable amount of RAM to have in any computer these days so I would't worry about it.

kgpixels wrote: »

Should I just wait for windows 7? There should be a 64bit version right?

You realise you can download the Release Candidate 64bit version of Windows 7 now, it will remain 'normal' until March 2010. After that date, the computer will shut-down\restart every two hours.

Get the Key (Serial) and .iso here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

---

If you don't have the bandwidth or time to download, PM me and I'll ship the 32 and 64 bit versions out to you on a DVD.

Amalgam wrote: »

This was removed in XP SP2, from there on, PAE is only used for the NX protection feature. If you want to use PAE to see all of your RAM then you either need to use Windows 2000, XP SP1 or an Enterprise server version of Windows. Far easier just to go 64-bit in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful indeed. I took out a 1GB stick to install the 2GB, so I want to get my moneys worth. That said I'm currently downloading Win 7 RC 64bit.
    My plan is to partition my HDD and run it along side XP, it’s called dual booting right?
    Should be fun getting that up and running, Acronis to the rescue I think.

Any pointers on setting up the two OS’s?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Newtechnologies

Dual booting won't be a prob if you install xp first then make sure you have a second partition of at least 30Gb for windows 7 64Bit. The windows 7 installer will see your XP partition and config the boot loader for dual boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's possible that changing the operating system will not make a difference.

I'm typing this on Win 7 64 bit and memory is still limited by the laptop chipset. It varies from laptop to laptop.

It displays as 4 GB installed, 3.25 GB usable.

Same here, I have a HP DV laptop of some description and 4GB will not show up, due to the hardware.

Yes that's true, the chipset and BIOS have to support remapping of the "lost" memory over the PCI hole. A lot of Asus motherboards come with this feature disabled by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Well I've downloaded and installed Win 7 RC 64bit on another partition.

And unfortunately it displays as 4GB installed, 3.24GB usable. So with my memory upgrade I only got 250MB!

Would there be anything in the BIOS I could change to get the extra memory? Or even a BIOS upgrade?

At a glance Win 7 doesn't look much different the Vista. What are the main differences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It seems to be faster, runs better on slower hardware and less RAM than Vista did. Plus there's the new taskbar, which I really prefer over the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

imo for normal household use.....

xp with 128mb is useless, your hard drive sounds like a kettle boiling
    xp with 256mb works okay
    xp with 512mb works and feels fast
    xp with 1gb feels fast even with norton 360 installed :p

vista with 512mb is useless
    vista with1gb works allright
    vista with 2gb is nice and fast
    vista with 3gb feels fast even with norton 360 installed :p

Advertisement