Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming a bookmaker site

Options
  • 23-07-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Is it hard or easy to programme a bookmaker site? What are the main challenges to overcome?

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Is it hard or easy to programme a bookmaker site? What are the main challenges to overcome?

MM

hard I would say for a novice/inexperienced programmer. To get the basic functionality should be straight forward. When you go into things like security, guaranteed delivery, account management, removing threading issues with synchronization, auto update of betting odds so customer doesn't get too annoyed if it is not quick enough for him to place his bet and the price changes at the end, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Its really a question of is it easy or hard to design a bookmaker site (in terms of software design). Once you've a good design in place then the coding should be academic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Skud wrote: »
    hard I would say for a novice/inexperienced programmer. To get the basic functionality should be straight forward. When you go into things like security, guaranteed delivery, account management, removing threading issues with synchronization, auto update of betting odds so customer doesn't get too annoyed if it is not quick enough for him to place his bet and the price changes at the end, etc...

+1 I did this in college some years ago, I found the data modelling / overall domain level design quite tough at the time.

While it wasn't absolutely terrible, it was still very basic functionality wise (refresh only updates :o etc). And if someone had actually given me their real credit card details I would probably still be in jail :D

Bearong mind I was very green at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

marco_polo wrote: »
    +1 I did this in college some years ago, I found the data modelling / overall domain level design quite tough at the time.

While it wasn't absolutely terrible, it was still very basic functionality wise (refresh only updates :o etc). And if someone had actually given me their real credit card details I would probably still be in jail :D

Bearong mind I was very green at the time.

do you still have a spec for that marco_
    not the code just the spec

Advertisement