Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Driving Licence

• 23-07-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Whats the biggest car / van / bus I can drive on a car licence???

Basically we want to go on a road trip next summer and all we have is a car licence, so how many passengers can I carry on this licence??? Whats the biggest vehicle I can drive???

Basically we (as in the girlfriend and the mates) want to buy a mini bus / campervan of some sort, or just the biggest car van we can drive on the licence, do it up, and go on a road trip (easier said than done I know but I am just wondering).

Also do you need a qualified driver with you on a provisional bus licence???

Sorry I am so clueless about this but its just a simple question.

Thanks,
    mcgowaner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

If you have a look at your Driving Licence, under category "B" I think it is, it says 1 + 8 people and I think the maximum weight is 3500kg.

Correct me if I'm wrong! Don't have my Licence with me at the moment..

Basically whats written below:

Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg (includes pulling a trailer where the maximum weight of the trailer when fully loaded is 750kg or less)

From here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Great, thanks for the reply, but what type of vehicle is that, could I get a mini bus and pull out a few seat (I presume not). I don't think I am going to be able to weigh the vehicle before I buy it so what are we talking about here??? A camper van, converted transit van, small minibus, one of those large taxis.

Thanks a million for all this information people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would imagine a transit van would be fine, minibus is doubtful. I'm not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the reply, but what type of vehicle is that, could I get a mini bus and pull out a few seat (I presume not). I don't think I am going to be able to weigh the vehicle before I buy it so what are we talking about here??? A camper van, converted transit van, small minibus, one of those large taxis.

Thanks a million for all this information people

Part of the ruling regarding driving minibuses, apart from the licence type, is the "for gain or reward" aspect. Mechanics in a bus depot I was in many years back, drove buses as part of their work, but couldnt carry passengers for payment. D, D1 allows up to 16 passengers. As far as I know there is no such thing as an actual "provisional" bus licence, only a HGV licence, used while learning until you pass the test, as you arent carrying passengers while learning. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

OK sounds good, this ain't working out too bad then, I will keep looking at big cars then . . . . .

Yeh I thought there must have been something got to do with driving a bus and taking money oir not, just like a limo.

How about this:

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/full-stock-list.php?page=1&dir=DESC&action=searchresults&vehiclesaddes=all&id=10&sort=makeandmodel&id_listing=428914&action=viewCarDetails

Do you think I could drive that, and what would be the story with pulling a few seats out of the back of it so it was within the car licence catagory??? Do you think that would work???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Think that it'd stay outside category B as the weight will be in van/minibus territory once fully loaded with peeps and luggage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

How about this:

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/full-stock-list.php?page=1&dir=DESC&action=searchresults&vehiclesaddes=all&id=10&sort=makeandmodel&id_listing=428914&action=viewCarDetails

Do you think I could drive that, and what would be the story with pulling a few seats out of the back of it so it was within the car licence catagory??? Do you think that would work???

Looks like it's under 3.5ton GVW to me so should be OK on a "B" Licence, if it's less than 8 seats.

If it's currently more than 8 seats and you take some out, you might need to get it re-classified (and possibly pay some VRT) before it's OK to drive without a D licence. I'd check with your local tax office about that.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Looks like it's under 3.5ton GVW to me so should be OK on a "B" Licence, if it's less than 8 seats.

If it's currently more than 8 seats and you take some out, you might need to get it re-classified (and possibly pay some VRT) before it's OK to drive without a D licence. I'd check with your local tax office about that.

I was going to ring them there but they close at half 3, ah well, I am going to send off an email tonight and follow it up with a phone call tomorrow.

Do you think it would be expensive???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was going to ring them there but they close at half 3, ah well, I am going to send off an email tonight and follow it up with a phone call tomorrow.

Do you think it would be expensive???

Sorry, don't have a clue about pricing on Minibusses :o

According to my commercial guide, all Ducato's available in 2006 are under 3,500kg so the van versions are good to go on a B licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A good rule of thumb is that if it has twin wheels on each side on the back axel, it's >3500kg GVW, if it's just the one wheel at each side on the back axel, you should be good on a B license provided there's no more than the driver + 8 passengers. As with all rules of thumb, there will invariably be a freak who can touch their own elbow with their thumb (on the same arm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Thats a fair rough bus you picked there! €10k or thereabouts and I'd reckon you'd get it.

Advertisement