Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loading Screen for ASPX web site?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi guys

I am creating a website where users will be buying a certain item. The user can use paypal to pay for their purchase.
    After the purchase is complete paypal will redirect back to my page where I will then wait for paypal to send me notification that of the payments status. While I wait for this notification I want the user to be shown some sort of waiting screen, preferably animated.

Does anyone have a pointer to a tutorial of some kind? Would I need to do this in Flash? Was thinking maybe silverlight as I have done some work with it.
    Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Do you do anything in code that waits for the notification? If you run that code in an update panel, you could use an updateprogress control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whackhead

Not really, I am waiting on PayPal to send me some sort of order status, whether it be Failed or Successful etc...
    I have found a silverlight tutorial showing how to edit the SL loading screen, will see if I can modify it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A silverlight app seems way over the top for just a waiting screen tbh. Even though it'll be a tiny one, there'll still be the overhead of downloading the app and launching the plugin. Not to mention installing silverlight for people who don't have it and browser compatability. Just use an AJAX updatepanel and some kind of progress bar or something, or even just a spinning icon or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

How does PayPal send you back the response? Do you make a synchronous or asynchronous call to their site?

Do you call PayPal from the code behind?

For simplicities sake, based on it being a synchronous call, what I would do is have a hidden div become visible on the button click which calls PayPal (do this in JavaScript). Hidden div can contain some spinning loading graphic (can be created using online generators).

Once you get your response from PayPal you can hide the div again in the code behind, if you have made the div a server side control as well as a client side one. I presume you know how to do this?

I wouldn't be going the SilverLight route and UpdatePanels or anything else AJAX.NET are the spawn of the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If you did this using an sync thread its fairly easy.

All you need to do is set your thread to do the jobs and before you start the thread show the screen, once the thread is finished, remove the screen

Can be done pretty trivially

Otherwise what you can do is do it async with a web service and just use an update panel to track the changes..

• Advertisement
Advertisement