Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Flytying suppliers

• 23-07-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Wel lads im looking for a good suppplier for hen capes and feathers, mallard and teal. anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

For the duck feathers try posting in the hunting forum on here - I'm sure there are a few duck hunters on there and you can get heaps of useable feathers from just one bird.

Failing that, Glasgow Angling Centre should have anything you would need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iascanmore

For the duck feathers try posting in the hunting forum on here - I'm sure there are a few duck hunters on there and you can get heaps of useable feathers from just one bird.

Failing that, Glasgow Angling Centre should have anything you would need.

Do not touch GAC with a barge pole. They are brutal, never have stuff in stock and will takes ages to tell you that.

For all natural feathers and fur the ONLY place to purchase from is Steve Cooper of Cookhills Flytying - google should throw up his address.

For all other bits and pieces I'd recommend Lakeland Flytying or Wharfedale Angling. Again very good people to deal with, quick service with reasonable postage charges. (Check out GAC postage of a spool of thread to here - about 8 stg...)

iascanmore wrote: »
    Do not touch GAC with a barge pole. They are brutal, never have stuff in stock and will takes ages to tell you that.

For all natural feathers and fur the ONLY place to purchase from is Steve Cooper of Cookhills Flytying - google should throw up his address.

For all other bits and pieces I'd recommend Lakeland Flytying or Wharfedale Angling. Again very good people to deal with, quick service with reasonable postage charges. (Check out GAC postage of a spool of thread to here - about 8 stg...)

Now that you mention it, I have had a few problems with them substituting stuff in my orders - and sometimes it wasn't even close to what I needed!

Never had a problem with Cookhills, and Lakeland are also good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

I get a lot of stuff at angling /game fairs at least you can see what your getting .I had the same problem with materials on mail order where they substitute items, hooks in my case (I cannot recall the supplier's name) has any one noticed that a lot of angling shops are getting out of fly tying materials ?? I find now If you need a small item (like fine gold wire) you have to try a few places to get it and its not worth sending off for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

+1 on that.
    You'll always get feathers from duck from Sept 1st onwards although you may have to wait until later in the year from more mature birds. From November on we'll always have pheasant, woodcock etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Take great care about one thing:
    When you pay for feathers and capes prepared for the fly tying trade, they have been sterilised. But when you take the same materials from a captured/shot bird, they will carry mites and other "wildlife".
    That's ok so long as you remember to fumigate, etc.
    Otherwise your current fly tying materials may be damaged by teeny grubs that like to eat feathers!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

coolwings wrote: »
    That's ok so long as you remember to fumigate, etc.Otherwise your current fly tying materials may be damaged by teeny grubs that like to eat feathers!

:eek: How do I fumigate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Campfor mothballs I guess. That's what I used in the past, and they worked.
    I cut pieces off of one and spread it out through the gear.
    Not sure where to get them apart from maybe a hardware shop?
    An internet search might throw up alternative ways. I wonder could the microwave do it and not ruin feathers and fur!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I have a box full of capes,furs,masks,bobbins,wing stencils. 95% of it is brand new and never opened and the ones i did use were used a handfull of times.
    if anyone wants the box they can have it for 50 euro. 100s of euro worth of gear in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

ok, i'm hooked, i'll buy them.

this is the same chap who got the magazines from you a year ago!

i think you should hold onto the stuff to be honest. but i'll be driving through navan a couple of times this week so if you really want to sell the stuff pm me ur number and i'll text u.

cheers. d.

• Advertisement

I remember:)
    Id prefere to see somone get some use out of the stuff so ill offer if to somone who will use it:)
    anyway all i do now is pike and coarse so its just sitting in the house anyway.
    50 quid to the first person to my door, Doc has a slight advantage as he has been there before:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

This fella is good.
    http://www.irishflycraft.com/

:eek: How do I fumigate?

You can freeze everything at -20 for a week. That should kill damn near everything, but it might be an idea to stick the feathers in a bag with some moth balls (make sure you get the paradichlorobenzene ones - not the eco-friendly cedar oil kind) to finish the job.

Some of the tying mags recommend keeping mothballs in your tying storage box but then it stinks up the house every time you open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

thanks mr. bitemybanger,

a lot of good stuff there, the beginning of my new winter hobby i think.

thanks mr. bitemybanger,

a lot of good stuff there, the beginning of my new winter hobby i think.

no worries, happy with it so? has everything you need and some to start tying, i just dont get the time to tie flies or use them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

for fly tying materials try euro-fly in france they are a small company with a good selection they have some rare and unusual stuff too, i have been getting stuff of them for years and they are cheaper than irish rip off prices and the qaulity of the stuff is good, all the major brands and all the capes you want. they have a web site but its a bit old fashioned, but it works.
    as for glasgow angling centre - never agian :mad::mad: absolutely dreadful.

Advertisement