Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih Tzu's feeding habit

Options
  • 23-07-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi just wondering can anyone can advise me. My Shih Tzu is 10 months old and I give him 100g of Hills Science Plan twice a day. Lately when I pour the food out in the morning he is showing no interest and leaves it sitting there all day and at about 5pm he heads for the bowl. Later in the evening I re-fill the bowl with the 2nd 100g and he'll eat that about 11pm. Is this normal for a dog to want to eat so late? People have commented since he got his summer shave that he looks fat (he does have a rather rounded belly) but he gets no food off the table and his only treats are the little coachies which I use as rewards max twice a day (because he's never that well behaved :D) and every so often I fill his kong with a tea-spoon of peanut butter. He's no access to other dogs food so he's not being fed elsewhere. He's also walked 2km almost every day so it's not lack of excercise. I thought Shih Tzu's were meant to be petite dogs but I remember the day we collected him we noticed his Dad was twice the size of the mother. He's my first dog so I'm anxious I'm doing something wrong :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Are you feeding him the right amount for his weight and age?

Also - you shouldn't leave their food down all day, you put it down for 15 ish mins, if they show no interest, you take it up. You can try again later. But it teaches them that food isn't there all day long.
    I wouldn't be too happy feeding my dog at 11pm at night, as usually then they'll be sleeping til 7 or so? Same as you or I eating dinner that late, it just sits there I would assume, perhaps that's how he might be putting on some weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

Thanks for your advice Starpants, this has only started in the past week so tomorrow morning I'll put the food down as normal and pick it up after 15 mins if he doesn't touch it and feed him at 5. I might eliminate feeding him at 11 altogether for a couple of nights, it won't do him any harm would it? And in reply to your question I'm following the proper guidelines for his weight and age (Puppy Mini up to 10kg), I've a cup measure that comes with the food I use. Thanks again :)

You don't have to wait until 5pm to put down the food again, you can try again in a few hours and see if he's any interest. It won't do harm to cut out 11pm feed for a few days, but he might get hungry :)
    I have two Lhasas (one is 6months old), and they LOVE food, anything foodlike and they want it, so we have to be careful about treats or things as they can put on weight easily. I'm not sure if ShihTzus are the same but they would be similar I'd say.
    My pup eats at 7am/12.30pm/5.30pm - and she'd eat a million times more if allowed! lol.

It's just getting a routine and then they get used to being fed at X time. Just if it's there all day they'll wander round and leave it. Whereas if it's there for a certain amount of time and then it's gone they'll think twice before walking away. Plus feeding at 11pm probably means he might not be hungry in the morning when you go to feed him. So try cutting out one 11pm and see if he's hungry for his morning feed the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I have found that the recommended amount that is given on the packets of pet food is always on the very generous side. For example my late cat ate about a third of her recommended daily amount of food and was a little pudgy.

And my dog got rather stout until I figured out how much to feed him, which is far less than it says in the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Our pup is on Royal Canin and gets 50g twice a day. With Royal Canin is based on their adult weight and the age in months.
    Casper wakes us up every morning at half nine this is the time we started giving him his food at now can be timed to the button same in the evening starts dragging us toward the food :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

Thanks for all your advice especially Starpants, followed your instructions and now he is eating at 10am and 6pm, delighted :D

Ah brilliant :D
    They're just like babies lol, once you get them into a routine. And feeding at 6 means you can hopefully get him out to do his business before midnight (which means less accidents during the night).
    That's great work well done!

Advertisement