Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the Sake of 3 cent!

Options
  • 23-07-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Just checked my bank account there and realised that i didnt have enough money in my account to cover a standing order...

Standing order is 30.00 I only have 29.97. So I rang my bank to see what would happen.

I was told im going to be charged 13 euro for a failed standing order tansaction and then when i do put in the money i have to tell them and they will send the standing order!!

Im sorry but that fair pissed me off...for the sake of 3 cent! I have to pay 13 euro .... I do pay close attention to what I spend however something i bought over a week ago had not been taken out of my account until today. Banks are closed now so there is no way of paying them 3 cent... Do you know what!! Just out of spite i think i will lodge 3cent to my account tomorrow!! See how they like them apples!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

you should set up 24hr internet banking account for yourself, then opening hours become irrelevant, and you could transfer the three cent from your credit card to your current account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Take out a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

blubloblu wrote: »
    Take out a loan

Another sub-prime problem:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

blubloblu wrote: »
    Take out a loan

Cant take out a loan because i have no job... had one but it went bye bye havnt been able to get a job!! have the banking setup online but mine doesnt allow me to transfer money from my credit card...I know it does with certain banks now that you say it the boyfriend could do it on his but i cant with the bank im with and even if he transferred me money with his bank transferring to my bank if its after 1 o clock in the day it takes 3 working days to transfer!! Tis all a load of ****e really!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

just goes to show how banks have a strangle hold on us. I think a kind of credit union bank where you could get laser cards etc and have anormally functioning bank owned by the people would be much better. NO charges etc.... We could be world pioneers....and this ideal bank wouldnt mess up the economy and your job wouldnt have gone bye bye....oh if we could do it all over :/

• Advertisement

Dean0088 wrote: »
    just goes to show how banks have a strangle hold on us. I think a kind of credit union bank where you could get laser cards etc and have anormally functioning bank owned by the people would be much better. NO charges etc.... We could be world pioneers....and this ideal bank wouldnt mess up the economy and your job wouldnt have gone bye bye....oh if we could do it all over :/

I vote Dean0088 for Taoiseach!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I vote Dean0088 for Taoiseach!! :D

I would vote 4 me too except I'm only 17 :|

I'll run next year! Clann na 'give us our cash' sounds like a good party name :)

aww really well hopefully someone like you will b running our country someday!! Ive always said if credit unions did atm cards i would be gone from the banks not a bother!! Credit cards would be nice too though!! But yeah im not impressed!! Doubt they will be either when i turn up tomorrow to lodge 3 cent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

aww really well hopefully someone like you will b running our country someday!! Ive always said if credit unions did atm cards i would be gone from the banks not a bother!! Credit cards would be nice too though!! But yeah im not impressed!! Doubt they will be either when i turn up tomorrow to lodge 3 cent :)

Have you got free bank charges, or will the bank have the last laugh when you get charged for the 3c transaction later?:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Have you got free bank charges, or will the bank have the last laugh when you get charged for the 3c transaction later?:(

Im fairly certain its free!! Think thats because im a student!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Dean0088 wrote: »

that was already tried several years ago (I was on the board of my local credit union at the time). pumped 50k into the project along with a load of otehr credit unions.... then, 5 months later I met the guy in charge of the central server site (that would eventually regulate the inter-credit union transactions and card transactions) when I attended a course "introduction to Novell"... the project went under about a year later and the investing credit unions lost their 50k. pity, it was a great idea.

LoLth wrote: »
    that was already tried several years ago (I was on the board of my local credit union at the time). pumped 50k into the project along with a load of otehr credit unions.... then, 5 months later I met the guy in charge of the central server site (that would eventually regulate the inter-credit union transactions and card transactions) when I attended a course "introduction to Novell"... the project went under about a year later and the investing credit unions lost their 50k. pity, it was a great idea.

Yeah thats unfortunate i would love if they did they are so much easier to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you can't ensure your account will have enough money in it to cover your bills, you should arrange an overdraft facility.

I don't believe the bank are in the wrong: you cannot afford your standing order. However the 13 euro charge sounds a tad excessive.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If you can't ensure your account will have enough money in it to cover your bills, you should arrange an overdraft facility.

I don't believe the bank are in the wrong: you cannot afford your standing order. However the 13 euro charge sounds a tad excessive.

I know yes the 13 euro is what im complaining about!! I was short by 3 cent so there are charging me 433 times what i am short!! Thats all i am saying!! I dont think i would have even have started this thread if it was 2,3 or even 5 euro max but 13 euro for 3 cent!! 13 euro isnt much to some people but its alot to me! well i was payin the credit union so and when i started it up the said they dont do direct debits just standing orders!! So i dunno! All they are going to do anyway is resend it when i put the money in... resending it doesnt cos them anything all they will do is draw up a list of all the money that needs to be sent to the credit union and click a button and run the payment now who wants to pay me 13 euro to click a button i would surely be clicking anyway!!! I would just love to know where that 13 euro goes and i would imagine nowhere!! The just pocket it!!

I remember about 6 years ago the charge used to be €4.44 which was quite excessive. How in the hell have they justified €13?

I remember about 6 years ago the charge used to be €4.44 which was quite excessive. How in the hell have they justified €13?

I didnt ask them too i was too annoyed just said thanks and hung up. No point screaming at the girl on the phone tis only her job!! I just love to know who decided to charge 13 euro for that!! Im going to go into them Monday and I will ask them what the 13 euro pays for? Its definitly not postage, or wages for the person who does it because they get paid anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I didnt ask them too i was too annoyed just said thanks and hung up. No point screaming at the girl on the phone tis only her job!! I just love to know who decided to charge 13 euro for that!! Im going to go into them Monday and I will ask them what the 13 euro pays for? Its definitly not postage, or wages for the person who does it because they get paid anyway!

At a guess they'll prob tell you its extra admin work/queries involved in such cases. Means person can't spend that time working on something else.

At a guess they'll prob tell you its extra admin work/queries involved in such cases. Means person can't spend that time working on something else.

If that's true, you'd wonder why they haven't computerised bouncing standing orders. Surely it's something that a piece of software can handle...

If that's true, you'd wonder why they haven't computerised bouncing standing orders. Surely it's something that a piece of software can handle...

All that is computerised but they will probly just say that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know yes the 13 euro is what im complaining about!! I was short by 3 cent so there are charging me 433 times what i am short!!
    Why do you think the charge should have any relation to the funds missing?
    Do you think they are just loaning you the 3c or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

Its a massive shame that that did not work out. In fact it was mainly due to incompetence it did not.
    I remember a credit union in waterford did have an ATM around 2001. How was this?
    Irish people would bedelighted to put their money in institutions that were set up for their interests rather than shareholders.
    If irish nationwide can organise ATM facilities then the Credit unions should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I have seen ATMs at credit unions too....there's one in abbeyfeale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as far as I can remember , some credit unions made deals with local banks to have ATM facilities, either in branch or at the back itself. 2001 was around the time of the project I was talking about so your credit union was probably one of the ones that signed up for the testing phase (not all got machines though).

back on topic:
    the charge isnt really justifiable, just like the cost of transferring funds into an account on the continent. I asked about this when I was trying to put €300 into a portuguese account (I forget how much the charge was) and I was told that it was an incompatility between the computer systems, that it "needed to be translated".... i've always wondered if it was the 1s or the 0s that caused the confusion...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Why do you think the charge should have any relation to the funds missing?
    Do you think they are just loaning you the 3c or something?

They wernt loaning me 3cent at all, the transaction would be a failed transaction and for that reason they would charge me 13 euro

as far as I can remember , some credit unions made deals with local banks to have ATM facilities, either in branch or at the back itself. 2001 was around the time of the project I was talking about so your credit union was probably one of the ones that signed up for the testing phase (not all got machines though).

back on topic:
    the charge isnt really justifiable, just like the cost of transferring funds into an account on the continent. I asked about this when I was trying to put €300 into a portuguese account (I forget how much the charge was) and I was told that it was an incompatility between the computer systems, that it "needed to be translated".... i've always wondered if it was the 1s or the 0s that caused the confusion...

ha ha ha yeah i know, its a bit ridiculous like. Wish credit unions would start up ATMs the banks would loose so much business though...but i really dont care! They have never done me any favours

It really is a disgrace. They're making mega money from lending out your deposits so there really is no reason for these poxy little charges. It's so cheeky when you think about it.

edit: Not to mention our taxes keeping them afloat when they need a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

look €13 is excessive, we know alot bank charges are ridiculously high, but once you have enough in the account, you will never have to pay them...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    look €13 is excessive, we know alot bank charges are ridiculously high, but once you have enough in the account, you will never have to pay them...

yeah i know that and i have never been in this situation but as you know laser transactions dont always come out of your accout straight away in this case something i paid for a week before that i had paid for haddnt come out of the account which i completely forgot about and thought i had until it came out the day before my standing order was due out and at this stage i had no time to go into the bank and put in 3cent as the bank was closed!! It coulda happened to anyone. easy mistake to make

Advertisement