Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Belfast

Options
  • 23-07-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys, I'm going up to Belfast from Galway for a couple of nights with my boyfriend. We're not going for anything in particular, just a break away. Whats nice to see and do etc., and can you recommend any good restaurants or good pubs for the evenings? somewhere with some live music or decent gigs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

When you heading up?

One thing to try might be the big Wheel at city hall, I don't know how much it costs but I've been given good reviews from friends. The Sight seeing tours are apparently good as well, again never been on them but my mum and dad have, takes you round where parts of the troubles have been and up round stormount.

Pubs and bars wise, Aunty Annies on the Dublin road has live music regularly from what I remember and depending if it's during the week the Empire Comedy club, on Tuesday's, a great night, it's hosted by either Colin Murphy or Jake O'Kane (alternative weeks) and has some good comics on it.

Restaurant wise Victoria Square has a good selection of chains to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

This thread should be moved to belfast city

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

Yeah I only noticed that after I had replied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Hi!
    Thinking of staying a night or two in Belfast this weekend.
    Want to get somewhere to stay sorted, any recommendations?
    Close to or in the city centre would be great, or near the train/bus station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

fifomania wrote: »
    Hi!
    Thinking of staying a night or two in Belfast this weekend.
    Want to get somewhere to stay sorted, any recommendations?
    Close to or in the city centre would be great, or near the train/bus station.

Fifomania, what kinda budget you looking at?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kellyj7

hi,

my girlfriend and I are heading up to belfast on the 20th and 21st of august for a break away. She is pregnant at the moment so we cant really be going out clubbing etc. Any good ideas on what is good to do in the city. E.G where are the good shopping areas etc.

Thanks for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kellyj7

thanks...thats looks good. Any good shopping distrcts, any recommended restaurants? also heard the belfast wheel is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am just back from Belfast where I stayed for 1 night/2 days. If you are going to be there on a Fri/Sat, Georges Market, which is about a 5 min walk from the train station is worth looking at. It has all sorts of food, with plenty of knick knacks, ranging from jewellery, to other crafts. If you exit out the fish monger end of the market, the main shopping district is not from there. I started heading for House of Fraser, and I found the people quite friendly there, and had no problems with asking for directions, and then from House of Fraser headed for Castle Lane, and from there onwards, there are shops everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

ok, next question:

I'm coming up from galway... google maps says to come up via Dublin, that its the quickest route...

Thou on the day I know I'll probably rely on the sat nav, is there anyone who takes the trip regularly?

Google maps maintains its going to take 5 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I don't drive myself, but based on the public transport route from Dublin, I would imagine if you headed for Dundalk, it would be quicker, rather than going into Dublin itself. Someone else may be able to help you better than I can though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

oh yea, i figure we'll come off the m50 & not go into Dublin.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

If your driving, some of the best shopping can be found on Boucher Crescent, off Boucher Road.

In town, the 'Victoria Center', tho very pricey.

Anywhere around the front of the 'Primark' building is good if walking, plus Ann Street.

Advertisement