Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting No in revenge

Options
  • 23-07-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

It is widely accepted that the reason many people voted no the first time is because they were worried about non-issues, like abortion, taxes, defense and neutrality- issues that Lisbon either did not address or did not change; in other words, they voted no because they did not understand what they were voting for.

Now that these issues, despite their irrelevance to the treaty, have been addressed for the sake of peace of mind, polls here show that a greater number of people plan on voting no than before.

My question (aimed no voters) is this: are you voting no because you now understand the treaty and disagree with it, or because you are trying to send a message (or some other reason)? In essence voting no in revenge for being asked a second time? Because logic would dictate that more people should be voting yes now that we have gotten the concessions that were issues, like the commissioner, as well as legally binding guarantees for the non-issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It is widely accepted that the reason many people voted no the first time is because they were worried about non-issues, like abortion, taxes, defense and neutrality- issues that Lisbon either did not address or did not change; in other words, they voted no because they did not understand what they were voting for.

Now that these issues, despite their irrelevance to the treaty, have been addressed for the sake of peace of mind, polls here show that a greater number of people plan on voting no than before.

My question (aimed no voters) is this: are you voting no because you now understand the treaty and disagree with it, or because you are trying to send a message (or some other reason)? In essence voting no in revenge for being asked a second time? Because logic would dictate that more people should be voting yes now that we have gotten the concessions that were issues, like the commissioner, as well as legally binding guarantees for the non-issues.

To be honest I think it's an Irish thing. 100 years ago when the English were trying to prevent us from learning Irish we couldn't get enough of the language. As soon as it was made compulsory by our Government we didn't want to know any more. I think we just like being objectionable towards authority.

Advertisement