Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical science papers

Options
  • 23-07-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Anyone hold onto the 5th year continuous assesment papers for biomed particularly biochem major and clin chem minor papers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandybum

Aren't biochem and clin chem the same subject in 5th year? I didn't do them but I know there is a multiple choice and short notes assessment, a lab exam, dissertation, data interpretation and paper critique in the major and multiple choice and short notes in the minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Exactly as sandybum said. There's no biochem in 5th year, clin chem as a major or minor only. You don't get to keep any CA papers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭curious guy

sorry meant to say clin chem major and haematology minor ...yeah im going into it next year any advice for doing well in them...?

I apologise that the only info I can give is obvious... study for them and structure your time really well to ensure you submit everything on time. Personally, I think getting the dissertation done or even half done before the january exams will make everything easier.

I'm not sure if you know the timetabe for 5th year but I'll tell you cos I wish I knew before going in.

The first week is genetics block lab, followed by 4 weeks of major and minor lectures and labs and genetics lectures. After the 4 weeks, the minor is dropped and study continues of the major and genetics up until christmas break. As usual, there are assessments along the way in all subjects which are always multiple choice and short notes. These usually begin the week of the October bank holiday.

The dissertation title is given out in late November/early December and must be handed in at the beginning of February. Other assessments that must be done for the major as I mentioned before are paper critique, data interpretation and lab exam. These may take place before Christmas or in February. There are 2 weeks of classes in February between your 2 sets of exams.

The first set of final exams are in January, you will sit 3:major, minor and genetics. The next set are in late February, you will sit paper 2 and 3 of your major.

After this, all that is left is your project. You have 12 weeks to complete practical work and write it up. Presentations are in the first week of June and oral exam is the following week.

It's a hard year but it's worth it when you finish! Just study as hard as you can but make sure to take breaks too.

I hope this has helped and that it makes sense. Good luck in the year! Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Thanks very much loads of fun ahead of me..i mit just bother ya wit a few more questions if thats alright..

Do ya know the project can ya do that in a hospital and is there funding for it because I was onto someone in the lab in my local hospital about doing it there and he was concerned about this?

Would it be better to do the project in your major /minor or other ?

Also do u get to choose your own dissertation? and is there much to it? the paper critique and data interpretation stuff?

Would you recommend any books?

• Advertisement

The project can be done in a hospital but as far as I know, it is the hospital that has to fund it. Paddy McHale is the course coordinator for 5th year. I'm not sure if you know him, he is the Microbiology lecturer. He finds projects for people in Sweden and France if you wanted to travel abroad? If there is a project in your local hospital that you would really like to do, submit the summary of the project to a lecturer for approval but as I said, the hospital most likely needs its own funding.

Otherwise, your lecturer in either your major or minor will sort a project out for you. If you know what area you would rather do a project in, let your lecturer know early before you are assigned a project. It is really up to you whether you want to do your project in your major or minor. Mine wasnt really either, it was more of a molecular project involving HIV in a research lab in UCD. That was really the best project I could have hoped for.

No, you are assigned your dissertation title by your lecturer. It's 3000 words so not too much but really the best advice I can give is do as much of it as possible before the New Year. It will leave you less stressed in January when the deadline approaches and give you more time to study for paper 2 and 3 of your major. What I did was research the topic and collected approximately 30 references from books or papers and wrote half of it before Stephen's Day and studied for January exams from then on. After exams, I wrote the other half in two days and studied up until February exams. It worked for me but you should try to find something that works for you.

In my major which was Microbiology, the paper critique and data interpretaion were done separate from the lab exam and in exam conditions. However, as far as I know, in other majors, the data interpretation was part of the lab exam and the paper critique was an assigned paper you got to take home and read, critique and present your findings to the class.

As I was not in either Clin chem or Haematology, I cant recommend any books for them unfortunately. If you ask the lecturers, they should recommend some good ones. For genetics, Fergus Ryan will recommend chapters from books and papers to read and I suggest you read them. The detail in them is required in your exam answers. Instant notes books usually help clarify topics if you are struggling. At least I found them very helpful anyway.

Hope this helps you, I apologise that I couldn't give specific information on your chosen subjects. Good luck with the year and enjoy it too as after 5 long years, you will finally be finishing! Any ideas what career path you may take?

Thanks that was extremely helpfull I dont know Paddy but think Helen lambkin is over us next year. I must give her a shout.

Oh say it will be hard to get any funding from the hospital the way things are..apparently the masters people are even struggling to get it.

How much is it or does it vary on the type of project I wonder?
    Is the first week block practical important?

Not sure about career path yet its unreal how scarce jobs in Ireland are. Talking to my friend other day and he was saying something about going abroad possibly london or england.

Another friend of mine is just qualified and is going up the north to do a masters.

I dunno yet myself need to get working after college and get soe money and experience what are your thoughts or what career path are you considering?

The cost will depend on the type of project really. If it is testing a kit or a machine, its really just the cost of that. I think they can borrow machines tho for free to test it out and only pay if they decide to keep it.

The first week block practical is extremely important and you must attend it. There will not be a second week for running the lab as there was in 4th year. There will be an assessment on it in October and it is worth 20% of the genetics module.

Jobs are definitely scarce but there are a few out there. It just takes a lot of looking and persistence. Many people are going abroad and if you feel that is something you want to do then you definitely should.

My chosen path is to continue studying. I'm planning on doing a PhD in Molecular Biology. I just have to wait til September to find out if I got it. I know research is the career for me so I have to get a PhD.

Jeez it is pretty important its probably the same MCQ every year. Perhaps testing a machine could be a runner particularly as Biocem is my major and there is probably plenty past examples although I will have to look into it further.
    Yeah best of Luck with the PhD hope you get it. I was thinking I would like research myself as from talking to people who do it they like it and its challenging and you would get to think a bit more.

Dunno I struggle to get the high Marks that id need to get into a PhD my average this year was 60% but passed all of them my highest being 67%. Dunno wat im doing wrong. Any suggestions?
    How does the PhD work what do you need to get and do you need a masters first? I should no but eh

I managed to get a first overall this year so that is why I am going the straight PhD route. I'm not sure how I did it but i put in a lot of hard work, read all extra recommended reading and sought out more to try to improve my answers. Write out sample answers to past papers, that usually helps.

Usually if you get a 2:1 (65-74%), you can go straight to PhD but someone with a first will have a better chance. It is possible though. Otherwise, the other option is to do a Masters which you can get into with a 2:2 (55-64%). This can commonly extend into a PhD if the project is progressing well.

My best advice for applying for postgrads is to start early, before college finishes. Easier said than done though i'm afraid because the best time to apply is usually while you will be doing final exams. Keep a lookout if you can though. DIT also have postgrads commonly so it may be worth looking at them if you like Kevin street :p

• Advertisement

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/essay.phd.html I read this i prob dont have what it takes for a PhD might feel different in a year maybe a masters Il think about it or analyse it as we do:p might find one of those career advice people.
    My friend is going to Birmingham doing medicine after working for a year in the job just said id said it to you if you were interested in medicine like.
    Well done on getting the first :eek: buaile bos

Sorry, I was away all week. I have thought about medicine before but I don't think it's for me. I think I might be more suited to research.

See how you feel after doing your project, that's what really made me seriously consider a PhD.

That was a good link you put up. It really makes you think about your decision to do a PhD!

Advertisement