Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Face book warning

• 23-07-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Copied from another user on Facebook, but as far as I can see, this is genuine:

Facebook has agreed to let third party advertisers use your posted pictures in their ads.
    Click on SETTINGS up at the top where you see the log out link.
    Select PRIVACY - MANAGE.
    Select NEWS FEEDS AND WALL.
    Select the tab that reads FACE BOOK ADS.
    There is a drop down box, select NO ONE.

Save.

just so you all know. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've always wanted to get into ads, and here's my chance!

(Great idea on Facebook's part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

if you say so, personally I don't like the idea of people making money out of me or my pictures.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I hope they use mine !!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hope they use mine !!!

How have you not been made a mod yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I hope they use mine !!!
    You should start a thread to find a caption to go with that..!

mine:
    I know that curry is here somewhere...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

if you say so, personally I don't like the idea of people making money out of me or my pictures.....

Really? Post a pic of yourself and we'll see if your worth anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

You should start a thread to find a caption to go with that..!

mine:
    I know that curry is here somewhere...!

"Ow!!!! My Boneitis!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anything for them to try and turn a profit for once!

[latex]bollocko waz ere[/latex]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I don't think they're ads for Facebook using your image, but ads to third party that sites that reference your Facebook profile. Kind of like how Google Ads look different to different people, according to the user's interests.

For example, I was on a site last week and a banner ad addressed me by name ("Hi <my name>") and was accompanied by my Facebook profile pic. I think that's what this setting prevents when deactivated, they're hardly going to use amateur photographs on billboards advertising Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope they use mine !!!

Fianna Fail have expressed an interest in using it to replace the party logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Posting pictures of yourself on facebook is equivelant to streaking naked through Croke Park on All-Ireland day, in front of the entire planet.

Bloody morons. Running around the internet with their tackle slapping in the breeze.

Dartz wrote: »
    Posting pictures of yourself on facebook is equivelant to streaking naked through Croke Park on All-Ireland day, in front of the entire planet.

Bloody morons. Running around the internet with their tackle slapping in the breeze.
    What about people who post up pics of you without your permission and then link them back to you?
    I ****ing can't stand that. Keep your tardedness to your own facebook page. Don't include me in your pic posting crap.:mad:
    Oh wait.
    This is not ranting and raving.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

[latex]bollocko waz ere[/latex]

[latex]Noobs\enspace cannot\enspace do \enspace spaces \enspace [/latex]:D.

What about people who post up pics of you without your permission and then link them back to you?
    I ****ing can't stand that. Keep your tardedness to your own facebook page. Don't include me in your pic posting crap.:mad:
    Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

ehh just click remove this tag ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

I hope they use mine !!!
    I hope they use MINE!!

I believe this only applies to those customised ads on Facebook itself. For example, there's one for some app which randomly throws up pictures of your friends suggesting what their IQ is and wants you to take a test. I think that disabling this option stops you from showing up in these ads when they are shown to your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Karsini wrote: »
    I believe this only applies to those customised ads on Facebook itself. For example, there's one for some app which randomly throws up pictures of your friends suggesting what their IQ is and wants you to take a test. I think that disabling this option stops you from showing up in these ads when they are shown to your friends.

Well, surely that IQ test is false advertising, as it gives the impression your friends have taken the test, when they have not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be too happy if my pic was used to spread awareness of vd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Facebook has agreed to let third party advertisers use your posted pictures in their ads.
    Select PRIVACY - MANAGE.

Save.

Wonder if they might use my mugg on a poster for the Rape crisis centre?

• Advertisement

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Well, surely that IQ test is false advertising, as it gives the impression your friends have taken the test, when they have not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be too happy if my pic was used to spread awareness of std's.

I agree, just saying that it doesn't mean that they can pass your photos on to sites outside of Facebook.

Karsini wrote: »
    I agree, just saying that it doesn't mean that they can pass your photos on to sites outside of Facebook.

read the terms and conditions of face book you might be surprised......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I hope they use mine !!!

Yeah right, they're using members' pics to avoid royalty fees, why use that when Bono would be straight onto them lookin for money?

Sounds like typical paranoia to me. I do have this option disabled though, I don't want myself in these ads anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Thanks for the tip, shall be disabling this on my Facebook next time i log on, that and untagging all the photos i'm in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

They dont need your permission, they own the photos
    Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

• They dont need your permission, they own the photos

I don't think it's right that they can tag without permission. You should get a message asking if you agree with the tag, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just changed the settings on my facebook after reading this topic!

snyper wrote: »
    Wonder if they might use my mugg on a poster for the Rape crisis centre?

Pointless. Facebook is only available to users aged 13 or over, people far older than the intended audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Oh wait.
    Calm down bollocko.
    /sips whiskey.

People who do that deserve to be shot.

Pointless. Facebook is only available to users aged 13 or over, people far older than the intended audience.

your like Nicolas Cage in National Treasure........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

BTW, if the "Facebook Adverts" tab is blank and you cannot see the option, you need to do disable Ad block plus and restart your browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

That's complete bull**** I'm afraid, the only thing that it does is show you if someone else has engaged with an Ad. I.e. If you click that you'll attend an event, then it shows in your friend's feed that you are too.

Your posted pictures remain YOUR property and 3rd parties don't have any access whatsoever, to ANY of your information, unless that is YOU agree to it, usually via a 3rd party App or something (i.e. quizzes). Facebook retain a license right so your friends can look at the pictures. This right expires when you terminate your account.

This is just some copy and paste spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Altheus wrote: »
    That's complete bull**** I'm afraid, the only thing that it does is show you if someone else has engaged with an Ad. I.e. If you click that you'll attend an event, then it shows in your friend's feed that you are too.

Your posted pictures remain YOUR property and 3rd parties don't have any access whatsoever, to ANY of your information, unless that is YOU agree to it, usually via a 3rd party App or something (i.e. quizzes). Facebook retain a license right so your friends can look at the pictures. This right expires when you terminate your account.

So you haven't seen any of your friends' pictures in ads? Apparently it's quite common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Yeah in Applications, which are 3rd party, and which you have to click "Allow" when it asks if you want to let it access your information.

Applications run ads apart from Facebook, and you'll notice even if you change this setting, it won't affect anything on those pages.

The only thing it will change is Engagement type ads (Events, Polls, Comments) where it would "Andy is going to attend" under the Ad to let your friends know you're going to the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Select PRIVACY - MANAGE.

Save.

are u one of those people that sends on chain letters telling everyone that they're account is gonna be closed unless they send it on too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

vinylmesh wrote: »
    [latex]Noobs\enspace cannot\enspace do \enspace spaces \enspace [/latex]:D.

[latex]Cheers\enspace for\enspace teaching\enspace me\enspace how![/latex]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

100gSoma wrote: »
    BTW, if the "Facebook Adverts" tab is blank and you cannot see the option, you need to do disable Ad block plus and restart your browser.

Just refreshing the page will do,Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Altheus wrote: »

^That

Like Altheus I also checked the Internet to see if it was a hoax. It wasn't too much effort as I was using the Internet already anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Moar liek Facepalm

amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I think this is untrue.

Taken from notice on the News Feeds and Wall Privacy Page:
    Worried about privacy? Your photos are safe.
    There have been misleading rumors recently about Facebook using your photos in ads. Don't believe them. These rumors were related to third-party applications, and not ads shown by Facebook. Get the whole story at the Facebook Blog, or check out the Help Center.

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=110636457130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Steoob wrote: »
    I hope they use MINE!!

That guy wasn't just tagged, looks like he was getting tugged as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

A terrible actor?

Bald? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

your like Nicolas Cage in National Treasure........

The most under-rated badly-wigged actor of our generation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Facebook is sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

super-rush wrote: »
    Facebook is sh1te

Wow, you must have spent many sleepless nights composing that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

About tagging.........I've fiddled with my settings so that the only person who can see that I've been tagged in a photo is me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement