Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in maths ?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

Need some advice.I have returned to college as a mature student and I am entering my final year for degree.I am considering (a) doing the leaving cert higher maths paper or (b) doing a Diploma in Maths from London University this year

The reason I did not do leaving cert and would like to working in banking,trading etc and it has been suggested to me that I should try to get more quant skills under my belt.I will also be pursuing a post grad after degree.

Which option would be considered the best ?

Thanks,

Rocky2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

rocky2 wrote: »
    Hello,

Need some advice.I have returned to college as a mature student and I am entering my final year for degree.I am considering (a) doing the leaving cert higher maths paper or (b) doing a Diploma in Maths from London University this year

The reason I did not do leaving cert and would like to working in banking,trading etc and it has been suggested to me that I should try to get more quant skills under my belt.I will also be pursuing a post grad after degree.

Which option would be considered the best ?

Thanks,

Rocky2

Firstly, what's your undergrad in?
    Second, what's the postgrad course in maths (i.e. what's it called, where etc...)
    Elaborate a bit more on yourself, the intended courses etc... and you can receive a better, more informed reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rocky2

Sorry ,Should have included this info:

Undergrad is in commerce (BComm), I plan to do a postgrad in finance or computational finance both are in UL .I am interested in working in a banking /trading environment.Haven spoken to people that are involved in trading , they did advise me to get more quant skills.

What I need to know is if for instance I went to London looking for work, which would be regarded as a higher standard, leaving cert maths (Higher level) or a Dip: in Maths from London Uni:,

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

rocky2 wrote: »
    Sorry ,Should have included this info:

Undergrad is in commerce (BComm), I plan to do a postgrad in finance or computational finance both are in UL .I am interested in working in a banking /trading environment.Haven spoken to people that are involved in trading , they did advise me to get more quant skills.

What I need to know is if for instance I went to London looking for work, which would be regarded as a higher standard, leaving cert maths (Higher level) or a Dip: in Maths from London Uni:,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeh, then do that, stay away from doing the leaving cert. It's not worth doing, you've a BComm degree which is excellent (from the way you sounded in your opening post I thought you had done an arts degree with no quants experience!), you're kind of on the fence regarding quantitative stuff (i.e. you've done a bit but not enough). Personally, I'd do the Dip, a rule of thumb from uni's and such is; if you're paying for it, you're paying to pass, so really you can never fail it, you can do **** and it can take you a while but you can never really fail it (unless you do absolutely nothing). I would advice, talking to people who have done the course etc... get an outline of the course, get in with a grinds teacher who can help you out and then do the course itself. You might need a few grinds to get your head into but that's it, the course lecturers should be grand and their should be enough material, again you don't want to come off as a 'know-it-all'. I know from my friends etc... you'll definately need to nail down some quants stuff. The BComm is a shoe in for most courses with a substantial maths content, but I wouldn't worry about the maths content of these courses because, why would they allow you entry if you haven't got a sufficient maths background? They wouldn't, so if you have the prereq's then you're grand. Send me on the link, if you would for the Dip Maths course, I'd be interested in it myself. Also, is there any particular area of maths that you're worried about?

Advertisement