Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Play To Eircom

Options
  • 23-07-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Recieved my router today tried to set up a wireless connection but to no avail, rang them up and sorted out the wireless connection and all, had everything done in 5 minutes max.

People complain about their customer service but from my experience they have been spot on so far.

Now to set up Xbox Live :)

Top marks to Eircom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did You change the security to Wpa and change the encryption key? Bet they didn't tell You that Your wifi is easily hackable if You don't change these, the Eircom wep cracker software is easily available on the net, google and You'll see, 1st link ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

In fairness to other posters who complain, you're only a new customer and this was your first experience.....maybe give it some time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Did You change the security to Wpa and change the encryption key? Bet they didn't tell You that Your wifi is easily hackable if You don't change these, the Eircom wep cracker software is easily available on the net, google and You'll see, 1st link ;)

No they didnt mate, but my next door neighbours have their own Eircom line so I doubt they would go to the trouble of hacking mine, especially considering they are nearing the age of pension.

Is there anyway of guarding against this just out if curiosity?

35notout wrote: »
    In fairness to other posters who complain, you're only a new customer and this was your first experience.....maybe give it some time...

True mate, but so far so good.

They even came out 3 days before they were supposed to, to activate my landline and all.

........but my next door neighbours have their own Eircom line so I doubt they would go to the trouble of hacking mine

What about Mr Foreignor "I not wanna get my own connection, drive round till I find an easily crackable Eircom modem" Fella?
    Is there anyway of guarding against this just out if curiosity?

Yes, change the security to wpa and change the password.
    Its a major security flaw which Eircom have not fixed, they may have started using wpa and using a different method for generating the password but they have not contacted the 1000's of customers who's security means nothing.

• Advertisement

Its a major security flaw which Eircom have not fixed, they may have started using wpa and using a different method for generating the password but they have not contacted the 1000's of customers who's security means nothing.

Can you give me an idiots guide to doing this please mate as I havent a clue how to do it.

Can you give me an idiots guide to doing this please mate as I havent a clue how to do it.

1901 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Eircom tech support probably dont know how either :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

35notout wrote: »

i have been with Perlico, UTV. Their broadband was slow in evenings. They said it was my computer. I switched back to eircom and never had problems (other than 1 weekend). They are more expensive but atleast they give the service.

1901 :p
    :)
    Any chance you could tell me mate, please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The chances are that your router is already set up for wpa. AFAIK Eircom have been issuing the routers with wpa security enabled for some time - however you can check.

Go to http://192.168.1.254 and choose the expert services option on the left - in that choose Wireless and you can check your settings.

I am writing this from memory but think they are the settings.

Full information here:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=59&E=0000000000176839516&K=4299&SXI=5&E=0000000000176839516&St=59&K=4299&SXI=5&case=9035&branch=4

dub45 wrote: »
    The chances are that your router is already set up for wpa. AFAIK Eircom have been issuing the routers with wpa security enabled for some time - however you can check.

Go to http://192.168.1.254 and choose the expert services option on the left - in that choose Wireless and you can check your settings.

I am writing this from memory but think they are the settings.

Thanks alot for you reply.

When I do what you say it says the privacy is on WPA-PSK, so I guess that means my router is secure?

Thanks alot for you reply.

When I do what you say it says the privacy is on WPA-PSK, so I guess that means my router is secure?

Nothing is ever totally secure:)

There is nothing to stop you changing your password there or even to changing the name of the Wireless network if you so wish.

What about Mr Foreignor "I not wanna get my own connection, drive round till I find an easily crackable Eircom modem" Fella?

Did they not contact all customers and tell them how to chage the wep key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Cheers mate, it was already on WPA-PSK so it seems everything is "secure".

Did they not contact all customers and tell them how to chage the wep key?

My apologies, They did, but how many people actually did change it. I've used the cracker quite a few times, while i was waiting for tyres, sitting in the van having tea at a garage, sitting waiting for someone on a main street, in fact the cracker is on my laptop in case I need it, it never fails. Writing to people telling them their security isn't worth a damn isn't fixing the issue, they should be ringing people and talking them through changing it, they are a phone company after all.

They did, but how many people actually did change it. I've used the cracker quite a few times, while i was waiting for tyres, sitting in the van having tea at a garage, sitting waiting for someone on a main street, in fact the cracker is on my laptop in case I need it, it never fails. Writing to people telling them their security isn't worth a damn isn't fixing the issue, they should be ringing people and talking them through changing it, they are a phone company after all.

Well if you know they did why did you write up above that they did nothing? Do you expect them to go out to everyone's house and change the security?
    but they have not contacted the 1000's of customers who's security means nothing.

There has been enough publicity in the media for people to take responsibility for themselves in these matters. It is ridiculous to constantly harp on this and in the process to mislead people. People buy cars with lousy locks or doors with lousy locks etc etc.

There is more than enough advice around for people on how to protect themselves on the net or at least if they dont know themselves to encourage them to find out from a friend how to do it.

I have come across lots of 'Eircom' wireless networks with no security enabled at all - I suppose that's Eircom's fault too?

Well if you know they did why did you write up above that they did nothing? Do you expect them to go out to everyone's house and change the security?

If thats what it takes, Yes. Writing a letter trying not to make a big issue of it is not fixing the matter IMO.
    I have come across lots of 'Eircom' wireless networks with no security enabled at all - I suppose that's Eircom's fault too?

Very few unsecured, lots and lots on wep and hackable. Course the unsecure ones aren't Eircoms fault, but the wep ones are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

My apologies, They did, but how many people actually did change it. I've used the cracker quite a few times, while i was waiting for tyres, sitting in the van having tea at a garage, sitting waiting for someone on a main street, in fact the cracker is on my laptop in case I need it, it never fails. Writing to people telling them their security isn't worth a damn isn't fixing the issue, they should be ringing people and talking them through changing it, they are a phone company after all.

Yes they informed them but its not eircoms responsibility to make sure everyone does it plus it it wasnt for people like you with the cracker saved on their laptop as you say cracking into peoples while waiting for things we wouldnt have this problem so either stop complaining or change your ethics mate,there are people who work hard to pay for a service like that who havnt a dogs notion about things like that

• Advertisement

If thats what it takes, Yes. Writing a letter trying not to make a big issue of it is not fixing the matter IMO.

Very few unsecured, lots and lots on wep and hackable. Course the unsecure ones aren't Eircoms fault, but the wep ones are

They have written to people telling them about the wep problem what do you expect them to do?

And what is point of your contributions? you have stated that Eircom did nothing when you knew that they did?

You have misled the op here too?

What exactly do you hope to achieve by this type of activity?

They have written to people telling them about the wep problem what do you expect them to do?

Hold on, I work for an ISP, one that takes security a little bit more seriously than Eircom, in fact I was sent to a customers house 2 days ago to put security on his router. Eircom haven't fixed this mess IMO, writing a letter does not fix anybodies security
    And what is point of your contributions? you have stated that Eircom did nothing when you knew that they did?

See above ^^
    You have misled the op here too?

Hands up on this one, but he/she is a little naive in thinking that his/her first miniature experience with Eircom support is the state of things and that all those of us who whinge on here (me included, I've an Eircom connection at home) are wrong and shouldn't be complaining. Many, many times I've been ran around in circles by Eircom Customer Support, its not funny and is very frustrating.
    What exactly do you hope to achieve by this type of activity?

See above ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Hold on, I work for an ISP, one that takes security a little bit more seriously than Eircom, in fact I was sent to a customers house 2 days ago to put security on his router. Eircom haven't fixed this mess IMO, writing a letter does not fix anybodies security

See above ^^

Hands up on this one, but he/she is a little naive in thinking that his/her first miniature experience with Eircom support is the state of things and that all those of us who whinge on here (me included, I've an Eircom connection at home) are wrong and shouldn't be complaining. Many, many times I've been ran around in circles by Eircom Customer Support, its not funny and is very frustrating.

See above ^^

That maybe and im sorry for you just like every else whos been given the
    run around but the fact that matter is Theft of service or Enabling* Theft of Service is Criminal in Irish Law.

(*i.e. by describing tools, equipment or actions that would enable 3rd parties to steal a service).You know that or you wouldnt be here talking about it but its not really helping anyone by telling them how to do it and the op is only here to mention the good service he recieved from eircom so let him and eircom have their moment

I dont know what working with an isp has got to do with needlessly misleading the op or stating categorically that Eircom had done nothing about the problem?

The op posted praising Eircom for his direct experience wtih them. By the way the op did not say in his/her post that other people should not be complaining.

You waded in immediately raising needless concerns for the op when you must have known that Eircom were now issuing the routers with wpa enabled?

When the op asked for help (which of course he/she didnt need) you smartassedly gave 1901 as an 'answer'.

You then as I said earlier stated that Eircom had done nothing knowing that this was not the case. Your post was also racist.

You know that no company could afford to send people out to change the wep for everyone never mind Eircom.

And how come if you work for an isp that you would actually need that awful Eircom customer support?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

And how come if you work for an isp that you would actually need that awful Eircom customer support?:rolleyes:

You really couldn't troll any more about ISP support departments if you tried like. EVERY one is Ireland's worst apparently....until the next thread.:rolleyes::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well this has gone nowhere fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement