Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you think Admins/Mods can ever be truely fair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You cannot suit all users all of the time. Whatever decision you make, someone will feel it is unfair.

You appear to be making a bit of noise about the moderation of this site. You also appear to have misconceptions about what we'll do - references to banning users for speaking up, for instance.

Is there a chase you'd like to cut to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

turgon wrote: »
    Apologies, but I was refering to conchubar1's attempt last month. I didnt know you had pushed for this, and I dont hold your motives to be the same as his.
    Hagar wrote: »
    A blantant untruth my good fellow. I was that poster.
    Me and another guy really. I try not to talk to myself much in any language.

Hagar and I went over this before. I believe we offered a compromise. We merely required that any posts in Irish had a full and accurate English translation in the post also, so as not to exclude any posters.

Nobody is stopping anyone posting in Irish, we just want to ensure that everyone is included in the conversation.

As Minesajackdaniels said, we can aspire to please everyone, but the reality is, we will only ever manage to please a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

^^ Cheers. conchubar1 was pushing for Irish-only posting asfaik. All comments I made as regards that issue were to do with conchubar1's request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

You cannot suit all users all of the time. Whatever decision you make, someone will feel it is unfair.

You appear to be making a bit of noise about the moderation of this site. You also appear to have misconceptions about what we'll do - references to banning users for speaking up, for instance.

Is there a chase you'd like to cut to?

No no chase i want to cut to.I am not going to nit pick the bits i did,nt like over the three threads involved:)
    the fact that i could log on to the site today increases my admiration for it very much.
    I am actually proud of the site and also that it Irish owned,proably the best site on the net for checks and balances between posters and mods there is.
    I say this because I honestly feel its true ,NOT because i want to please anybody for the sake of remaining a poster or feeling i cannot speak my truth in case i (or other members) upset a mod or admin:)

plenty of democratic true grit by mods/admins who will do the job in a professional way.The not taking it personally by most mods is very refreshing to experiance having tried simulor sites on the net.
    kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

GuanYin wrote: »
    As Minesajackdaniels said, we can aspire to please everyone, but the reality is, we will only ever manage to please a majority.

QFT.

Democracy in action!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    QFT.

Democracy in action!

Was it FDR who said "You can fool some of the people some of the time"
    " more of the people more of the time"
    "but you cannot fool All of the people ALL of the time"?;);)

or was it him who said "the buck stops here"on a plaque on his desk in the Oval office ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

GuanYin wrote: »
    Hagar and I went over this before. I believe we offered a compromise. We merely required that any posts in Irish had a full and accurate English translation in the post also, so as not to exclude any posters.
    Indeed, there is always a middle ground. The trick is not finding it in itself but to have the will to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ynotdu wrote: »
    Was it FDR who said "You can fool some of the people some of the time"
    " more of the people more of the time"
    "but you cannot fool All of the people ALL of the time"?;);)

or was it him who said "the buck stops here"on a plaque on his desk in the Oval office ;)
    Neither:) But someone said both.

The first one's generally attributed to Lincoln, the second one is definitely Truman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

orestes wrote: »
    Hello person.
    Allow me to help you.
    This is a lolcat:

failcat.jpg

Apt, no?

**runs off to start a new feedback thread "please bring back the thanks button in feedback"**

sceptre wrote: »
    Neither:) But someone said both.

The first one's generally attributed to Lincoln, the second one is definitely Truman.

Lol well never one to refuse a learning curve me!:)
    just when do learning curves stop,? i,m knackered,but hunger and thirst for knowledge!:)

@* $$$$$;;;;?/////

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    **runs off to start a new feedback thread "please bring back the thanks button in feedback"**

see i,m always on a learning curve!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcat

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

snyper wrote: »
    Actually, I'm really missing it :o

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

DeVore wrote: »
    Actually, I'm really missing it :o

DeV.

Boards.ie Menu > Control Panel > System > setup > thanks button on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

^^^^^^
    I wish I could thank that.:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Can't speak for the rest of them but I'm a bastard,

Not really, you're a pussy cat.
    but I'm just as much of a bastard to everyone, so as far as I'm concerned that counts as fair

No, there's much bigger bastards than you.
    For some reason this thread makes me think of lolcats

Well done. Sarcastic irreverent threads are great. Especially in feedback. I appreciate the irony of my own post, but sure what can you do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well that is a new low for the humanites forum, lolcats.
    I am reporting this thread, cos it either should be in feedback or in helpdesk.
    Feedback for general mod mehness or helpdesk considering the op got banned from PI/RI this evening and hasn't taken it well.

So it's not just certain mods (now admins - god bless their soles) who dump PI threads in humanities, but it's also posters who don't get satisfaction in PI who want to expand the specific to the general?

It's probably best to say that some people accept authority, others don't, and a few make it their mission to derail it whenever they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hi,
    I could ask the same about boss,s heads of households etc also.

Is it possible for human beings to be totally fair?
    can a mod for instance ever infract/ban in a totally unemotional way?
    are we doomed to having favourites we turn the blind eye to if we have a posistion of power?

are we doomed to liking people we agree with or who agree with us,and hostility towards those who dont *fit*our perception of *correctness*

will we always be tribal in nature?and will those in posistions of power always feel threatened by their decisions being questioned?

given the chance are we ALL dictators at heart?

P.S how many might feel slightly intimidated to reply to this thread for fear of retribution by a mod?

Bosses,heads of house holds or mods act by a rule.

You act the bollix,expect consequences.

Simple as.

You go to work drunk,should that be let go?

You take a dump on the coffee table,is that acceptable?

You act the prick here,will you get away with it?
    No

As for this
    can a mod for instance ever infract/ban in a totally unemotional way?

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous question I have ever seen on Boards.

Seriously,were you in an accident or something?
    :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

<snip>......, i'm currently serving a 1month ban, It was nothing short of rape by a mod....<snip>

A ban is equal to rape now?
    I'm sure many rape victims would find your comparison extremely offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Keep it civil (and in perspective re: the comment quoted above) folks, or I'll become less than patient with people :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Keep it civil (and in perspective re: the comment quoted above) folks, or I'll become less than patient with people :)

Yes, but will you be fair?

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Bosses,heads of house holds or mods act by a rule.

You act the bollix,expect consequences.

Simple as.

You go to work drunk,should that be let go?

You take a dump on the coffee table,is that acceptable?

You act the prick here,will you get away with it?
    No

As for this

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous question I have ever seen on Boards.

:confused:

and your next bandwagon will be arriaving @ 22.00 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

and your next bandwagon will be arriaving @ 22.00 hours.
    Is it fair of you to pick on that poster after he has already been admonished by an Admin?
    "As you give so shall you receive" - Hagar 21:05

Hagar wrote: »
    Is it fair of you to pick on that poster after he has already been admonished by an Admin?
    "As you give so shall you receive" - Hagar 21:05

yes it is when and it is directed at me!
    did he or you read post 35 on this thread were i thought i had laid to rest a thread i started which was not well received and after sleeping on it thought i had to say the least phrased it badly.

contrary to popular belief i did not start either of the two threads after a 7 day ban on the pi forum in anger,i have already said the ban DID prompt the idea for them though.

neither of the 1st posts on the new threads made any mention of the p.i thread and the moderator who banned me from p.i are on perfectly good terms now.(in fact she has been very helpful in directing me to some usefull tools on boards.ie
    the p.i thread does need strict moderating,i usually avoid it because it is often obvious a person is in severe distress and a careless comment or worse a cruel one could push someone over the edge.
    the particulor thread on p.i i got the ban for did not fall into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh sush you'll ruin my rep :o

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh sush you'll ruin my rep :o

Lol ah shush and give me a kiss whilst nobodys looking!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

it's a classic

078cbd95.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Lol ah shush and give me a kiss whilst nobodys looking!:D