Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool "Service"

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am having major problems getting a household appliance repaired, and I wonder if I have any legal comeback.

Just to give some background, I moved to a new house a few months ago and bought several Whirlpool appliances - washer, dishwasher, oven, hob and American style Fridge Freezer. About a month ago the icemaker in the fridge started giving bother, dumping all the ice into the door, making a lot of noise, display panel flashing. I thought it was a once off but it happened againg and got worse. On Monday 6th July at 9am I phoned the Whirlpool service number and was given a number for MS Services in Cork who handle Whirlpool servicing in this part of the world. They took the details and said an engineer would call me "shortly". Later that day the fridge stopped working completely.

Anyway "shortly" turned out to be 5pm on Thursday 9th July. The engineer found that the fridge needed two replacement parts, a solenoid in the icemaker and the main circuit board at the rear. He said he would order those and they should be in after a couple of days. As I was going away until Weds 15th we arranged for him to call back on the following Thursday July 16th as he is in this area on Thursdays. Anyway the 16th came and went with no engineer and when I called them on Friday 17th I was told the parts had not come in, calling again on Monday was the same and I was told they hoped to have them "sometime this week". When I called today I was told the parts came in yesterday but the would not guarantee the engineer would call before next week. On checking my voicemail later I had a message stating it will now be "early next week" before it's repaired.

So essentially I am still without a fridge 17 days on from reporting it and it will not now be repaired before 21 days pass on Monday or maybe even not until the engineer is in the area on Thursday next.

It seems ridiculous that Whirlpool / MS Service cannot keep a supply of spares in stock, and even more ridiculous that they cannot source spares in less that two weeks. Also emailing service_ireland@whirlpool.com is a waste of time. I think I had to send 3 or 4 before I got a reply. I wonder if the guarantee was up and I was paing for the part and labour would it take so long?

Is there anything I can do to ensure it's fixed tomorrow? Do I have any comeback against Whirlpool for inconvenience caused etc? Can I demand a refund so I can purchase from another manufacturer?

Thanks.
    Mossie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Your case is with the retailer.

You say a few months...if you have had this problem within a month of use then I would reject the appliance and approach the retailer for a refund/ different model.

If it's more than 6 months than I think a repair is fine though the delay is a bit much.

A better service would be a refurb when the repair is going to take more than 3 days.....

Would you have space for a loan fridge from the shop to get you by until your one is fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Your case is with the retailer.

You say a few months...if you have had this problem within a month of use then I would reject the appliance and approach the retailer for a refund/ different model.

If it's more than 6 months than I think a repair is fine though the delay is a bit much.

A better service would be a refurb when the repair is going to take more than 3 days.....

Would you have space for a loan fridge from the shop to get you by until your one is fixed?

At this stage a loan isn't an issue as it's only a few more days. If I'd known at the start it would take so long I'd probably have pushed for a replacement. I can see the retailer has some responsibility but it's hardly his fault that whirlpool are unable to provide proper service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mossie wrote: »
    I can see the retailer has some responsibility but it's hardly his fault that whirlpool are unable to provide proper service.

It is the retailers responsibility to make sure you got what you paid for. You can still go back to them, and ask them to sort it out for you ASAP, or you can seek a refund or replacement.

From personal experience with Whirlpool's after sales service, I'd never buy a Whirlpool product. Took me 6 months to get a dial on a washing machine replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

It's high summer and most engineers are on holidays, the few that are not are covering double and triple workload.

Take your own line of work, whatever that may be, and if you are on holidays in the south of France or wherever, the last thing you are worried about is somebody elses fridge gone whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DOS wrote: »
    It's high summer and most engineers are on holidays, the few that are not are covering double and triple workload.

You don't know that for a fact, and even if it is the case, that's not the OP's problem. He booked a time with the engineer, and then he failed to turn up. If he's busy and unable to attend, why take the booking? Other people's holidays are not an excuse, the company should be able to work around this, as it's not exactly like they come up out of the blue or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

DOS wrote: »

Take your own line of work, whatever that may be, and if you are on holidays in the south of France or wherever, the last thing you are worried about is somebody elses fridge gone whack.

And companies who have such bad planning or consideration for their customers, are those who have bad customer service.

When I go on vacation I make sure my commitments are covered by others. If the load is increased to the point whereby they can't cope, they find a different solution, they don't just schedule time with customers that they have no intention of meeting.

Any company who does that... has piss poor customer service.

jor el wrote: »
    You don't know that for a fact, and even if it is the case, that's not the OP's problem. He booked a time with the engineer, and then he failed to turn up. If he's busy and unable to attend, why take the booking? Other people's holidays are not an excuse, the company should be able to work around this, as it's not exactly like they come up out of the blue or anything.

I spoke to the retailer today, he's been pushing Whirlpool to get it sorted, and he told me that this particular engineer is "difficult". Seems a lot of customers have had issues with him so it's not down to holidays etc. Even if it was three weeks is a bit much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

thats a very common issue with those fridge freezers. heard this a few times. same **** with whirpool too. had mine replaced (the whole fridge) but not due to this particular fault tho. i too had all my applicances from them, sent of guarantees and apparently they never received them..another common stunt, please pay x amount for appliance for late registration. customer service is disgusting..try go higher, find a name of director, ceo or something, write off, register letter, mention any names..drop them all in it...worth a shot
    good luck....

magconn wrote: »
    thats a very common issue with those fridge freezers. heard this a few times. same **** with whirpool too. had mine replaced (the whole fridge) but not due to this particular fault tho. i too had all my applicances from them, sent of guarantees and apparently they never received them..another common stunt, please pay x amount for appliance for late registration. customer service is disgusting..try go higher, find a name of director, ceo or something, write off, register letter, mention any names..drop them all in it...worth a shot
    good luck....

Yeah, I have since found out that this is a common problem which makes it all the more frustrating that they don't keep a supply of parts in stock. I sent of my guarantees within a week or so and still have heard nothing 2 months later. The engineer told me it can take up to 4 months and in one case it took 4 years!!

Advertisement