Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are There Any....

Options
  • 23-07-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Download allowance monitors around, as I have a 30GB download allowence and as there are two people using the internet in my house, I'm afraid I might go over it.

I seen one on here earlier but I don't really like the idea of having to put my phone and account number in to get it up and running.

So any of them that just monitor your allowance without needing your personal details would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it depends who your ISP is. a lot of ISP's have built in monitoring, but the likes of UPC don't.

if you check the sticky at the top of the broadband forum. it's the one conspicuously titled "Forum Charter & Broadband FAQ - READ BEFORE YOU POST!" the 4th POST lists all the usage monitors for each ISP and some separate programs to monitor usage.

what's your ISP and what speed is your package?

if you're using more than one PC and your ISP doesn't have traffic monitors the only reliable way to measure your traffic is with a router that supports bandwidth monitoring.

some do it out of the box, but others will only do it with 3rd party firmwares loaded onto them like ddwrt or tomato.

if you just have 2 windows machines though, something like du meter on both would do the trick and you can just add up the totals for both to get a rough estimate of your combined usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

vibe666 wrote: »
    it depends who your ISP is. a lot of ISP's have built in monitoring, but the likes of UPC don't.

if you check the sticky at the top of the broadband forum. it's the one conspicuously titled "Forum Charter & Broadband FAQ - READ BEFORE YOU POST!" the 4th POST lists all the usage monitors for each ISP and some separate programs to monitor usage.

what's your ISP and what speed is your package?

if you're using more than one PC and your ISP doesn't have traffic monitors the only reliable way to measure your traffic is with a router that supports bandwidth monitoring.

some do it out of the box, but others will only do it with 3rd party firmwares loaded onto them like ddwrt or tomato.

if you just have 2 windows machines though, something like du meter on both would do the trick and you can just add up the totals for both to get a rough estimate of your combined usage.

Cracking stuff mate thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or OpenWRT rather than DD-WRT (which had a nasty vulnerability this week) or Tomato.
    I can see last hr, 24hrs, 7days or 30 days on my OpenWRT based Router
    traffic.png

Total traffic (Up + down) in 24hrs is thus 260MByte. I do have an ISP based monitor and it agrees with this.

The router I have can take a USB dongle (for GSM/3G GPRS/EDGE/HSPA) or use ethernet to a Cable Modem, Ripwave, Breeze Modem or ADSL Modem/router with the wifi/router turned off (bridge mode).

I use a separat Gigabit switch for more ethernet ports as it only has 1 ethernet for WAN and one for LAN. It does have two WiFi module slots though (one installed).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

watty wrote: »
    Or OpenWRT rather than DD-WRT (which had a nasty vulnerability this week) or Tomato.
    I can see last hr, 24hrs, 7days or 30 days on my OpenWRT based Router
    i'm a tomato man myself, i like to keep it as simple as possible without losing the fun stuff. i had a look at openwrt a few times over the course of it's development, but it always felt a little too complicated for what i wanted to do. don't get me wrong, if i had the need for the extra stuff you can do with it, i'd be all over it, i just don't have a use for it and tomato does everything i need.

i guess it just depends on how much you want to do with it and what level of control you want.

also worth noting that not just any router can take 3rd party firmwares and you can't even rely on every router that can take them to be able to take all of them. some are better than others and some are easier to re-flash than others. not to mention the few that look just like the ones that work but don't. :eek: (some revisions of the linksys wrt54g routers are totally incompatible with 3rd party firmwares.

all i can say is do lots of reading up (linksysinfo.org is probably your best resource) and ask plenty of questions before you jump in, if that's what you decide to go for.

Advertisement