Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it illegal....

• 23-07-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

to overtake on a solid white line but not breaking it, i.e if a lorry pulls over on the hard shoulder and you overtake not leaving the lane.

Just wondering, cause sometimes you feel pressured into doing so cause they've really left you so much space

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take the truck - as long as it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The offence is for crossing the line, not overtaking so its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

If there is an obstruction or very slow moving vehicle in your lane and there is a continuous white line you may overtake if it is safe to do so. You are encouraged to this for the driving test as not to obstruct following traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I got done before for taking over on a solid white line, the guy in front of me pulled in and let me by and id say my wheel barely touched the line, seemed a bit harsh at the time i must say, but no if you dont touch the white line you're grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

technoman wrote: »
    If there is an obstruction or very slow moving vehicle in your lane and there is a continuous white line you may overtake if it is safe to do so. You are encouraged to this for the driving test as not to obstruct following traffic.

Do a search here, i posted the relevant legislation which showed it is indeed illegal to cross a continuous white line. Overtaking where you do not cross the white line is legal (as your not crossing the white line). When have you ever seen anyone doing the driving test overtaking someone on a continuous white line*

*assuming the vehicle causing an obstruction is not of course stationary, in which case the stationary vehicle would then be parked illegally and be guilty of an offense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Years ago while out on lessons for my test, i was stuck behind a tractor doing maybe 10mph, the person giving the lessons said i could pass out if it was safe to do so, and that was on a hatched area in the middle of the road, which i think the garda take as more serious than a continuous white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

On a motorcycle it seems to be a different story, I was told by a Garda that it tis illegal to overtake traffic even if you keep within the continuous white line.

On a motorcycle it seems to be a different story, I was told by a Garda that it tis illegal to overtake traffic even if you keep within the continuous white line.

You must have caught him on a bad day, I have never heard of there being separate legislation covering motorbikes regarding overtaking.

Having said that what a lot of motorbikers dont realise is that by driving up the middle of two lanes of cars is undertaking (and possibly dangerous driving if you catch a guard at the wrong time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

boomer_ie wrote: »
    Having said that what a lot of motorbikers dont realize is that by driving up the middle of two lanes of cars is undertaking (and possibly dangerous driving if you catch a guard at the wrong time.)

Commonly known as "filtering" through traffic among the Gardai and bikers, it is a dangerous practice as pedestrians and street vendors often step out in between the gaps in slow moving traffic and also car doors opening to let passengers out . Motorcyclists often have no choice but to filter because they are restricted from using bus lanes.

Commonly known as "filtering" through traffic among the Gardai and bikers, it is a dangerous practice as pedestrians and street vendors often step out in between the gaps in slow moving traffic and also car doors opening to let passengers out . Motorcyclists often have no choice but to filter because they are restricted from using bus lanes.

Sorry I was thinking more on motorways and dual carriageways rather than through town, in a town environment its not undertaking because your only overtaking one lane of traffic not going between two.

For the most part motorcyclists in towns and built up areas are very good its just on motorways and dual carriageways that I have seen some stupid driving. Having said that I had one coming straight for me on my side of the road yesterday evening (Blind bend, TWO single white lines on the road), luckily for him I saw him in time and stopped dead he JUST missed hitting me. It was on the Hills of Bray road leading to the bridge over the N11 for those that know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

He was talking crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Motorcyclists often have no choice but to filter because they are restricted from using bus lanes.

They could just stay behind the car infront of them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This caught me out in the biker theory test; it is legal, which I presume is why there is often both a no overtaking sign and a solid white line together. I'll see if I can find the question in my DTT book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

cars and trucks technically shouldn't pull in over the yellow line (and keep going).

If there is an incident and they are over the line then technically they are not driving on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

BrianJD wrote: »

Just wondering, cause sometimes you feel pressured into doing so cause they've really left you so much space

No offense but you are an accident waiting to happen if you feel pressured into doing something by another road user.

I got cautioned before for overtaking a slow moving vehicle on a cont. white line. It was coming up to a bend also though which may have influenced the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

You must have caught him on a bad day, I have never heard of there being separate legislation covering motorbikes regarding overtaking.

Having said that what a lot of motorbikers dont realise is that by driving up the middle of two lanes of cars is undertaking (and possibly dangerous driving if you catch a guard at the wrong time.)

I think you'll find filtering (which is the practice your referring to is legal), the RSA even have a recent publication in which it outlines how to filter safely.
    They could just stay behind the car infront of them:rolleyes:

They could but being between cars can be dangerous, it is often safer for a motorcyclist to be at the front of the pack, as if/when some idiot comes up behind them not paying attention they can make a quick escape from the dangerous situation, instead of getting trapped in the pile up where the rider is the crumple zone of their vehicle(not fun).

cars and trucks technically shouldn't pull in over the yellow line (and keep going).

If there is an incident and they are over the line then technically they are not driving on the road.

I can remember seeing something somewhere that they would be breaking the law fo this and could be partially liable for the costs of any accident however the onus remains on the driver to ensure they are driving safely!

hobochris wrote: »
    I think you'll find filtering (which is the practice your referring to is legal), the RSA even have a recent publication in which it outlines how to filter safely.

I cant see it on the RSA website, did you see my clarification that I ment to say I was referring to on motorways and dual carriageways and not to single carriage way roads in towns etc.

Do you have a link to the document you mentioned?

I cant see it on the RSA website, did you see my clarification that I ment to say I was referring to on motorways and dual carriageways and not to single carriage way roads in towns etc.

two seconds..

<edit>

Here you go(jump to page 8):

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/This%20is%20your%20bike%20Jun%2009.pdf

Even on motorways + dual carriageways if done correctly It is not illegal, Its all about road position, if you stay to the left lane and cross the line when safe to do so, and go back into the left lane, although technical it might be seen as filtering, your actually overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It's not illegal to cross an unbroken white line to overtake a stationary or slow moving (I think <10mph) obstacle, as long as it's safe to do so. Other wise, what happens when you're stuck behind a broken down car on a continuous white line?

• Advertisement

Actually I found the document:

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/This%20is%20your%20bike%20Jun%2009.pdf

It does clearly state
    The golden rule of filtering is that it should
    be safe, legal and should be performed at a
    speed that the rider can stop the machine
    within the distance he/she can trust to
    remain clear.

This would be taken to mean that it does not condone undertaking on dual carriageways, motorways and similar roads.

Actually I found the document:

It does clearly state

This would be taken to mean that it does not condone undertaking on dual carriageways, motorways and similar roads.

your correct, Undertaking is illegal, but if the motorcycle rider is careful about it, he/she will be overtaking, observing the keep left rule and overtaking as needed, the trick is using the gaps between cars in the overtaking lane, not being along side the car in the overtaking lane at speed.

Advertisement