Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV ads - The Beatles

• 23-07-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

You never really see The Beatles stuff being used in ads. But I saw a Budweiser ad using All Together Now (one of my favourites ruined:() and Drive My car is being used in another ad for something.
    Did something happen that allowed their songs to be used in ads? Jacksons death anything to do with it?
    Really cheapens the songs when you constantly hear them in ads. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You never really see The Beatles stuff being used in ads. But I saw a Budweiser ad using All Together Now (one of my favourites ruined:() and Drive My car is being used in another ad for something.
    Did something happen that allowed their songs to be used in ads? Jacksons death anything to do with it?
    Really cheapens the songs when you constantly hear them in ads. :(

wondered the same thing. Jackson had them mortgaged to Sony AFAIK so there could be something to do with it, but the ads came out v quick. Was he murdered by Budweiser...did they have that ad ready to go.

Mods, can we move this to conspiracy theories, pls? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

With the impending Beatles Rock Band game which has been in development for quite a while now it seems there has been some breakthrough with regards to licensing of Beatles tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

niallon wrote: »
    With the impending Beatles Rock Band game which has been in development for quite a while now it seems there has been some breakthrough with regards to licensing of Beatles tracks.

no - if there was a breakthru, it'd be original beatles tracks being used. That's what Apple would want out there in adland if they were going to allow it. The way the Remasters/Rockband project is going, the campaign will have a little more 'impact' i'd think, rather than drip drip drip cover versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

no - if there was a breakthru, it'd be original beatles tracks being used. That's what Apple would want out there in adland if they were going to allow it. The way the Remasters/Rockband project is going, the campaign will have a little more 'impact' i'd think, rather than drip drip drip cover versions

Yeah, All Together Now in the bud ad is a cover. Drive My Car isn't though. But can advertisers get a Beatles tribute band to do a "cover" of a song so it just sounds like the original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I believe that anyone can record a cover, as long as they pay a set royalty fee to the original songwriters, even if it sounds uncannily like the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, All Together Now in the bud ad is a cover. Drive My Car isn't though. But can advertisers get a Beatles tribute band to do a "cover" of a song so it just sounds like the original?
    It is a cover. It's by the Hot Rats who are Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey (half of supergrass).

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=54729501375

Second entry down says they got a mad offer from Hugo Boss to do the cover.

Advertisement