Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another deposit problem

Options
  • 23-07-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I know ye are all probably sick to death of answering all these deposit issues but I really am at my wits end. I moved out of a rented property in Cork that i had rented for 2 years on the 8th of this month. Over the 2 years there were numerous house inspections and there were never any issues. I left the place a lot cleaner when i moved out than it was when i moved in and returned the keys on the last day as requested. I paid all final bills and showed the agency that i dealt with proof of this. Only when i called to their offices to see what the hold up was in returning my €1000 deposit did they inform me that they would be with holding money for cleaning and removal of personal items from the property. The personal items in questions were lamps, iorning board and some irons that were in the wardrobes. These items were in the house when i moved in which is why i did not remove them. They agreed that in that case they would not hold me responsible for that but that certain cleaning would have to be done. We agreed on an amount and they advised that they would transfer the money to my account on the same day. That was Tuesday and still no sign. I have sent several mails and left several telephone messages and no reply.

My panic is that I have moved into another property and have still not paid the deposit to my current landlord who to be fair has been very understanding but at this stage he just wants the money paid and who can blame him. I was laid off in January and it took me ages to find a house where rent allowance would be accepted for myself and my daughter and now I am in danger of losing it. I am going to make one more call in the morning and if I don't get to speak to anyone I am going to call to their office again in person tomorrow. I have also managed to get the landlords address from the phonebook but this is road I would rather not travel unless completely neccessary.

I live day to day as it is at the moment and am losing sleep over this. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to get my deposit back I could really do with it.This is one of the biggest letting agencies in the city and I just don't know how to stand up to them. I have never been a confrontational person so I could do with being armed when I go in there tomorrow.

Sorry for the very long winded post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Well firstly, they should have given you your entire deposit back. Sounds like you left the place in good nick. But thats a by the by now as you've since agreed to get a certain amount back.

You don't say how long it is since you moved out. However as you went into them on Tuesday and they said they would put it in to your account straight away, then it can still take a few days to transfer from their account to yours (normally three days when different bank), so you may get it tomorrow provided they did indeed transfer on Tuesday.

According to the guidelines, Agencies/Landlords have to return a deposit within a reasonable amount of time. Most people take this to mean within 4 weeks but it's unfortunate that a lot of agencies stretch this.

Just keep hassling them from tomorrow onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Stay on them.

1)Did they register with the PRTB?

IF they did then say you will be taking a claim if they withhold for cleaing purposes as they are not allowed beyond normal wear and tear.

IF they didnt they tell them you will report them and they can deal with a 5k fine.

Might be an idea to talk to threshold as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Thanks for the replies guys. I did leave the place spotless which is why i was foolish enough not to take pictures, I just didn't think that there would be any issues and was completely shocked when they started messing me around. I don't know if I can name the agency on here but having asked around it seems that they are famous for this carry on.

Assertivness has never been one of my strong points but I am just going to have to grow a pair of balls on this one. Going to head into their office again today and was thinking of going to the citizens advise centre first, not sure though if this is something they can advise me on.

Advertisement