Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimax

• 23-07-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Anybody know anything about the new Wimax service that is being rolled out at the moment. I can't get wireless or DSL and have been on 3g Midband for the past couple of years but getting fed up at this stage. I am hoping Wimax will be my saviour or am i getting my hopes up. I'm living outside New Ross, Wexford towards Enniscorthy. Is there a map showing where the wimax masts will be located or a coverage map. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I am hoping Wimax will be my saviour or am i getting my hopes up.

You have answered your own question...It's just a load of hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Two kinds of WiMax

1) Fixed Wireless (FWA). Lots of Wireless ISPs using it. Similar performance to Breeze. Needs outdoor aerial/radio installed. Real Broadband.

2) Mobile WiMax. Scales better than 3G/HSPA or Ripwave. Very little difference in coverage or top speeds. Lowest speed is faster (120k rather than 60kbps) and worst latency is better (200ms rather than 800ms). It's no big revolution. Mainly a way for Intel to sell chips. Poorer indoor coverage than 3G/HSPA due to high frequencies used. Not Broadband.

My "GUESS" is that there will be few new Masts, You can find the IBB/Imagine FWA masts on Comreg's site. Since the newer Ripwave can be updated to Mobile WiMax rather than existing S-CDMA, that is the most likely scenario. Upgrading the IBB/Imagine Breeze network makes little sense. I think this was proposed in 2004. Imagine/IBB don't have anything like a National coverage and have no National licence. Each location needs a separate licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

Thanks lads. It's back to 3g for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Change the band to 3.5Ghz, all channels, all operators. This will show You which providers are licenced in your area. There may also be providers in Your area using unlicenced frequencies also, I'd investigate these avenues first, before 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

watty wrote: »

2) Mobile WiMax. Scales better than 3G/HSPA or Ripwave. Very little difference in coverage or top speeds. Lowest speed is faster (120k rather than 60kbps) and worst latency is better (200ms rather than 800ms). It's no big revolution. Mainly a way for Intel to sell chips. Poorer indoor coverage than 3G/HSPA due to high frequencies used. Not Broadband.

Why is that when the Irish do something they make an absolute balls of it? I was recently reading an article where a guy from the US went to South Korea to real-life test their WiBro solution (South Korean version of WiMax operating at 2.3-2.4Ghz).

The results were amazing, he was getting a constant speed of 4.5 download and 3Mbps upload. He was able to get on and off trams/trains, go through tunnels and still play some online games (might have been WoW or something off that nature) - apparently it had very low latency (can't remember the exact number).

I know comreg has recently published a consultation paper about opening up 2.3-2.4Ghz, but they are years too late. WiBro has been around for over 4 years, it's tried and tested and if the will was there, it could be adopted here in Ireland. Now before anyone gives out to me about EU harmonization etc. - let's deal with the primary issue at hand. Ireland's Broadband Quality Score comes in at number 39 out of 66 countries (the recent Oxford/Cisco Study). It is of national importance to get us out of the shxthole we're in - if WiBro could do it, then why haven't our Regulators/Dept. of Comms been bringing it in?

I tell you why - because no matter what they say, they're not really that interested. Unfortunately it's as simple as that.

p.s. I haven't yet tested this WiMax solution - so I hope to be proved wrong and that it will deliver fast, seamless, broadband with low latency that allows me to make skype calls whilst on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Article on RTE ATM
    Irish broadband supplier Imagine Communications is investing €100m in upgrading its technology infrastructure to support high-speed broadband.

The company said up to 200 jobs could be created as the new technology rolls out.

Imagine CEO Sean Bolger and Intel WiMAZ chief Kevin Jones explain what WiMAX is Listen
    Advertisement

The WiMAX technology, which enables faster or next generation wireless internet access, is being announced this afternoon by the Taoiseach, Brian Cowen.

The technology is being provided in partnership with US companies Intel and Motorola.

Imagine's WiMAX will bypass Eircom's infrastructure.

The service is already in operation and the company says the first phase of the rollout, covering 250,000 homes in Dublin, Wexford, Sligo, Tralee and Athlone, will be completed by mid-November 2009.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1014/imagine.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Current Wimax thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement