Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Whelans

Options
  • 23-07-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

hi

not sure where the best place for this topic is but..

I'm heading to Whelan's for a gig next week. Where is the best place for parking, either an on a street or in a car park that's open late?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Royal College of Surgeons/Mercer Hotel car park, beside the Stephen's Green shopping centre. It's a 24 hour park and about five minutes walk from Whelans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

thanks.

is the overnight rate of €5.50 that price all the time of is that only a special price during July?

Also, is it a safe enough car park+what is the best way to access it from?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

that area of town is a pretty safe to leave a car for an evening, i definitely wouldn't bother with a car park. try in and around harcourt st/hatch street, you'll easily find somewhere and be 2 minute walk from whelans

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Be careful around Whelan's though, as there are some residential areas that have parking restrictions (paid parking) up until midnight, I've been clamped just up the road from the venue entrance at Whelan's.

thanks for the responses. Think I might chance that car park at St.Stephens Green.

Anyone know the best way to access it? I would be driving in coming from Heuston Station direction

thanks

• Advertisement

anyone know how to access it from o'connell bridge?

or woul dcoming from thomas street direction be the best?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jph100 wrote: »
    anyone know how to access it from o'connell bridge?

or woul dcoming from thomas street direction be the best?

thanks

Six of one, half a dozen of the other tbh.

Down the quays to capel St Bridge, over the Bridge, up Parliament St and left onto Dame St, down a a bit and turn right at onto Georges St and dead straight for the guts of 10 mins (depends on traffic).

For Thomas St, go down the quays a bit and up Wating St (you better be good at hill starts;)), then left onto Thomas St, straight down for about 5 mins and then take a right onto Francis St (2 mins after Vicar St venue), straight down to the end and take a right, then straight through the junction, pass Kevin St Garda Station, go straight through that junction, pass DIT on your right and then take your next right onto Wexford St and Whelans in 2 mins down on your right.

Thomas St would be probably quicker, but it's more all over the place. As for parking, Camden Row, Pleasants St, Pleasants Place and basically every road around there all have pay and display on street parking and you'll easily get a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

nope, you're all wrong.

the best place to park when you're going to whelans, is in the cash and carry carpark, about 10m from the side entrance (main venue entrance). It's free and it's literally the closest you can get. Now... there's only about 20 spaces there and they fill up quick, so if it's a big gig and there's likely to be a big crowd, i'd suggest getting in early enough. I'm in Whelan's twice a week usually (house photographer) and I get a spot here 9 times outta 10. If it's full, there's paid parking all up the same street and there's always spaces. 3 or 4 quid change is usually enough to keep the meter going for the length of the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

what iamnothin said but make sure you have enough change on you! i had to do a legger at 11 on the dot to put more money in the machine as i hadn't enough change on me first time around.

also the previous poster gave wrong info, you can't turn right from dame street onto georges street! you can however go to the next junction turn right there (trinity street) then turn right on andrews lane then straight up south william street and that will bring you to the mercers car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

dereko1969 wrote: »
    what iamnothin said but make sure you have enough change on you! i had to do a legger at 11 on the dot to put more money in the machine as i hadn't enough change on me first time around.

also the previous poster gave wrong info, you can't turn right from dame street onto georges street! you can however go to the next junction turn right there (trinity street) then turn right on andrews lane then straight up south william street and that will bring you to the mercers car park.
    O'Connell bridge heading south, D'Olier St, Follow around College green onto Dame st. then left onto Georges St, keep straight, on your right.

No need to go up the quays if you can avoid the CG bus corridor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Voodoo Bones

Just a word of warning, the carpark at the cash and carry beside whelans is now a 24/7 clamping zone, ive parked there for years and it was fine, got caught out last night as did four others, be warned, its also private clamping and its 120 euro to get the clamp removed, best off parking on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Just a word of warning, the carpark at the cash and carry beside whelans is now a 24/7 clamping zone, ive parked there for years and it was fine, got caught out last night as did four others, be warned, its also private clamping and its 120 euro to get the clamp removed, best off parking on the street

Grand, we know where the OP is when he wants the clamp removed so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Voodoo Bones

Grand, we know where the OP is when he wants the clamp removed so! :)
    ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement