Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding

• 23-07-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just got caught by Garda Gatso van doing about 110kph in a 60kph zone (that poxy one on the N11 going through Kilmac). Just wondering how F***ed I am.........
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fairly, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 renjosh2

Btw, only realised after posting that this is probably the wrong place to post this and can't figure out how to move it, so apologies to anyone it annoys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

€80 and 2 points. got caught same place @120km - middle of the night, late for night shift at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 renjosh2

Thanks Bren. A little more reassured. Annoying thing is the fact that I live in the area and should have remembered that it was closing on the end of the month and our darling police force needed to make up some numbers... oh well, back to the back roads for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

renjosh2 wrote: »
    Thanks Bren. A little more reassured. Annoying thing is the fact that I live in the area and should have remembered that it was closing on the end of the month and our darling police force needed to make up some numbers... oh well, back to the back roads for a while.

NO (and this is not a high horse rant) 65 is excusable 70 maybe even too maybe even 75 or 80 if you are delusional,but 110 in a 60? that's the annoying thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭x MarK x

tossy wrote: »
    NO (and this is not a high horse rant) 65 is excusable 70 maybe even too maybe even 75 or 80 if you are delusional,but 110 in a 60? that's the annoying thing.

If it was a housing estate, i might agree with ya. But, what about for example, the stillorgan dualler at night? Think you might agree, it depends on where, and time etc.

If it was a housing estate i would be writing to my local representative about the 60 kmph limit :D

I agree with the stillorgan dual carriageway,but in fairness if you travel down that at 110 you deserve it as everyone knows its traffic corp central!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

tossy wrote: »

You do know the stretch of road he's referring to, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

You should know by now that the guards love Kilmac for speed checks they are always at Jamesons Corner (Avoca) at behind the wall beside Rockfield Estate on the Dublin direction and either under the bridge or at the petrol station on the Wicklow bound traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Just got caught by Garda Gatso van doing about 110kph in a 60kph zone (that poxy one on the N11 going through Kilmac). Just wondering how F***ed I am.........
    Thanks

Nice letter will arrive so, be 100% sure and a nice fine. (and some points)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's closing? Why? i hate that stretch of road too. It amazes me that you have to do 60 there put turn up into one of the little wicklow backroads and you'll see a sign with 80 on a road that couldn't hold 2 cars and is covered in potholes with sharp bends. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

jaffa20 wrote: »
    It's closing? Why?

I read "it was closing on the end of the month" as meaning "it was coming up to the end of the month", but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

i agree it the most stupid speed limits in the country. should be at least 80km/h the whole way:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

golden wrote: »
    You should know by now that the guards love Kilmac for speed checks they are always at Jamesons Corner (Avoca) at behind the wall beside Rockfield Estate on the Dublin direction and either under the bridge or at the petrol station on the Wicklow bound traffic.
    +1. Even if I wasn't familiar with the spot, all the traffic slowing down is a dead giveaway.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its nothing to do with the end of the month. Your just pissed you got caught.

If you had of been doing the legal limit would there be an issue here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with the end of the month. Your just pissed you got caught.

If you had of been doing the legal limit would there be an issue here?

well as the thread is titled "speeding" then i guess no is the answer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

wex96 wrote: »
    i agree it the most stupid speed limits in the country. should be at least 80km/h the whole way:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    To be fair, between the garage on the left and the turn-off just after it it's quite a dangerous little section of road. It looks a lot safer than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Did you not see the 60km/h signs?

Doing 110 in a 60 zone you don't deserve a ticket, you deserve a day in Court, 4 penalty points at least €1000 fine and you name splashed all over your local newspaper. That'll slow you down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

prendy wrote: »
    well as the thread is titled "speeding" then i guess no is the answer:rolleyes:

Have you ever seen a post "I dove by a gatso van at the correct speed"

People only post here when they get caught and know they are in the wrong and looking for any way to get out of it.

Drive at an appropriate speed given the legal speed limit and road conditions and there is no issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anan1 wrote: »
    +1. Even if I wasn't familiar with the spot, all the traffic slowing down is a dead giveaway.;)
    Surely the speed limit signs would be a 'dead giveaway' or are they missing? :eek:

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »

Doing 110 in a 60 zone you don't deserve a ticket, you deserve a day in Court, 4 penalty points at least €1000 fine and you name splashed all over your local newspaper. That'll slow you down.

I dont know the road but I'm sure the speed limit is yet another stupid one. Court should be for real crime not braking a stupid speed limit.

A few years ago when I started out driving and was a little less careful about where I would speed I was caught doing 65mph in a 40mph zone(mph at the time) Thing is by the time they caught up I was doing about 90mph in the 30mph zone (thinking it was a friend behind me as it was my local town). Then on with the sirens, I was pulled over and 2 points and 80 euro fine.

So the OP wont need to worry about court

and yes I know it was a stupid speed to be doing entering a town but I was younger and more foolish at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

high-horse.jpg?t=1248427892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know that section well.

On the southbound section, a speed limit less than 100km/h is well justified. There's a stupid, stupid, stupid junction there where a petrol station exits straight onto the start of the off ramp, so you get traffic coming along the N11 wanting to turn off conflicting with traffic coming out of the petrol station and wanting to merge straight onto the main carriageway. It's a disaster waiting to happen, and should never have been allowed. Whether that limit should be 60 km/h or 80 km/h is open to question though.

On the other hand, the northbound side which is also 60 km/h is completely unjustified IMO. There's a plenty long enough slip coming onto the N11 for traffic to merge at a full 100km/h with no problem, although for some reason unknown to me, traffic that tries to join often comes to a grinding halt just as they rach the start of the on ramp rather than speeding up. That section is supposed to be being upgraded to 80 km/h soon though which will help matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Anan1 wrote: »
    To be fair, between the garage on the left and the turn-off just after it it's quite a dangerous little section of road. It looks a lot safer than it is.

I'd have to agree, that section could do with an upgrade along the likes of the new system at the foxhunter and spa hotel/kew park on the N4.

Alun wrote: »
    although for some reason unknown to me, traffic that tries to join often comes to a grinding halt just as they reach the start of the on ramp rather than speeding up

The reason is this is Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i don't know the road at all, and my immediate reaction was...jaysus...110 in a 60? thats pretty high in fairness. but seeing some peoples comments and knowing how ridiculous some limits are, i feel sorry for ya. dont think youve much hope of not getting the points and fine!

Here's a live webcam of the stretch of road, make your own mind up
    http://michaelr.camstreams.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Guys some of ye are on a huge high horse here. The thread doesnt read " I got caught doing 110 in a 60 ,how much of an ar23hole am I ". Give the guy a break. We've all broken speed limit at some time or another. It wasnt a housing estate or outside a school. Its a bloody stupid low limit because its a bloody stupid design for a main road link on to a petrol station. You wouldnt see it anywhere on the Continent. He without sin and all that ..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its a bloody stupid low limit because its a bloody stupid design for a main road link on to a petrol station. You wouldnt see it anywhere on the Continent. He without sin and all that ..... :)
    This is rich...first, the ordinary decent speeders (ODS) complain that they won't respect speed limints where they dont't see any justification for them. Now, on this occasion, the ODS's are crying foul because there is a justification for a speed limit.

The OP was familiar with the area and familiar with the legal limit in that area, and quite aware that speed traps operate there & he decided to go break the law. The kindest thing to say to him is that he's a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This is rich...first, the ordinary decent speeders (ODS) complain that they won't respect speed limints where they dont't see any justification for them. Now, on this occasion, the ODS's are crying foul because there is a justification for a speed limit.

The OP was familiar with the area and familiar with the legal limit in that area, and quite aware that speed traps operate there & he decided to go break the law. The kindest thing to say to him is that he's a fool.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Thats a bit OTT mate,

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Thats a bit OTT mate,

Have a look at the webcam and tell me how it is safe to do 110km/h through the village of Kilmacanogue.

For those of who who think I'm on a high horse how many fatal accidents have you attended?

Here's one scenario I was first to arrive on the scene. 12th July NI reg car stuck in a lamp post, 5 month old child ejected through the front windscreen, father impaled on steering wheel partially ejected through windscreen, mother telescoped under front seat. Where do you start? Significant contributing factor Speed.

N11 at Belfield ( shooting fish in a barrell territory) I personally attend 2 fatal accidents where cars ran into the perimeter wall of the apartment block. Significant contributing factor speed and in at least 1 case alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭halkar

Respect your life, think of your loved ones and slow down. Regardless how stupid speed limits may look, they are there for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to speed quite regularly until I finally got caught for the first time, was given points and fine and was threatened with court if I had been going a few kph faster. I think the fright put some sense into me. I've been a good boy since, and now I get tailgated for sticking to the limits :eek:

Advertisement