Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Experiment - Do Footballers Reply To Fans Anymore?

• 23-07-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

Ater seeing this thread, the idea came up for this experiment.

Honourable mention to 8-10 for improving the idea.

So, the experiment involves writing to 25 randomly selected Premier League footballers asking for an autograph, a picture or some sort of reply. Back in the day, footballers were happy to answer fan letters etc (IMO) but today, with them being ubermegastars, i'd say they reckon they have better things to be doing.

I suspect that the higher up the Premier League you go (or wage bracket) the less replies there will be.

So, who's in? Preferably we will get 15-20 people, that would cover most of the players. All it will cost is a little of your time and a few stamps, and you'll get some cool autographs and pics in return :D

Should be a bit of fun! We can upload the pics of what we get back right here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Dibs on sending to a Liverpool player :D

I'll send one to Kuyt. I reckon he'd be one that would reply alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I believe this is still valid?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Count me in...I call United:p:p

I reckon JOS would be too easy...

Great Idea btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

i'll give it a shot for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I believe this is still valid?;)

Bunrley players are off-limits for everyone but the_pm_of_17.. everyone else is still up for grabs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'll do it anyway - should be interesting...

Wow, awesome response so far.

We'll all be writing our letters tomorrow if this keeps up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Are we going with the 20 random players thing yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Count me in for whichever randomly generated player i qualify for :)

a Blackburn one would suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The choice of player should be random. If you just pick guys who are most likely to reply what does that prove? Random selection would be a bit more craic and give a far more accurate indication of the level of connection your average Prem footballer has with their fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I suppose I could help, but only if we kick flahavaj out :pac:

I'm thinking of blackmailing him into a response by saying something like "Me and my mate had a bet on if we asked for an autograph from a Liverpool and a United player, who'd get a reply first. You don't want them to win, do you? :o" :D

If it was to be a true experiment testing the player's connection with the fans, should there be some sort of standard(ish) type letter that would be sent to the players, rather than making up sob stories/blackmailing etc etc trying to get the response....only a thought! or would that take away from the fun??

flahavaj wrote: »
    The choice of player should be random. If you just pick guys who are most likely to reply what does that prove? Random selection would be a bit more craic and give a far more accurate indication of the level of connection your average Prem footballer has with their fans.

Okay, going on your random player method, I just closed my eyes and fired a dart into a dartboard, and whoever's jersey number I'd hit, I'd send it to.

And I'm honestly not joking, it hit number 9. Nando Torres, here I come :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eoin99 wrote: »
    If it was to be a true experiment testing the player's connection with the fans, should there be some sort of standard(ish) type letter that would be sent to the players, rather than making up sob stories/blackmailing etc etc trying to get the response....only a thought! or would that take away from the fun??

I think it is the only way to go, to have someone draw up a standard letter, and then see who replies from that,

also think we should include the Loi teams, not just for cheaper postage :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Okay, going on your random player method, I just closed my eyes and fired a dart into a dartboard, and whoever's jersey number I'd hit, I'd send it to.

You can't mail yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

****. I wanted #21.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    ****. I wanted #21.

Triple 7 :D

Being too lazy to get off my arse and make my way over to the dartboard:pac::pac: I used this random number generator ( www.random.org ) and up came no.18.

I'm sure Scholesy has loadsa time for his fans:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think the OP should randomly pick 25 players and then randomly assign them to 25 volunteers. It shouldn't necessarily be a player at the team you support IMO.
    Just to keep it properly random and experimental.

• Advertisement

The selections will be random, the suggestion was that i put all the players into an xcel sheet and pick at random, that's what i'll do :D:D

This should be fun.

As far as the standard letter, who wants to volunteer?

What about this? Feel free to edit if you see anything that could be better.
    Dear Mr [insert surname]

I just wanted to write you a letter to let you know how much of a great servant you have been to [insert club], in my opinion.

In the time you have been at the club, you have certainly made a great impression on me, and I'm sure that the same can be said for other [insert club] supporters as well.

I was wondering, is there any chance of you sending me your autograph, a picture, anything. Whatever you choose, I assure you that it will hold a massive significance to me, and it will be proudly displayed to fellow [insert club] fans, and envious [insert rival club] fans.

My address is:
    [insert name and address]

Again, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your time,

[your signature].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think people might be better off not writing to players from their own club

itd be a bit crappy if the player youre convinced is gonna write back to you coz hes such a nice guy doesnt bother

Or 20 players, one from each club.

Funny, I just did the same and you got Charles Itandje..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

What a coincidence......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It'd be interesting to write letters to players from other sports, as well, to compare to see if they reply more or less often.

It'd have to be the top people at each sport, to make them comparable to Premiership stars.

I'd volunteer to write to Rugby players. Maybe 5 of the Lions picked at random.

What about this? Feel free to edit if you see anything that could be better.

Potential problems might be if the player is a new signing, plus it sounds like a formal business letter.

Maybe adding something like "You've always been my favourite player and are a great role model....." blah blah!

:pac:

I'll write to Stevie G.

FAO MR STEVEN GERRARD
    PRISONER NUMBER 8
    CELL BLOCK H
    STRANGEWAYS PRISON
    YNWA 5/18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Footballers shouldn't feel obliged to reply to fanmail ect. Whatever about signing few autographs going about your day but getting it through your door is bit much. I don't think you'd get much difference from back in the day to today. Some will reply some won't. Doesn't make you an asshole if you don't. ALl just my opinion of course.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'll write to Stevie G.

FAO MR STEVEN GERRARD
    PRISONER NUMBER 9
    CELL BLOCK H
    STRANGEWAYS PRISON
    YNWA 5/18

Don't you mean Number 8? :D

Nah that's occupied by Joey Barton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd be willing to take part in this as well if you still need volunteers.

I'd be willing to take part in this as well if you still need volunteers.

Sweet!

I'd say it wont be long until there's enough of us

Anotheridea, to please everybody we can do it this way, everyone will get 20 players, 1 from each team. How does that sound?

Then everyone will get to write to a player at their favourite team. And no team will get loads of similar letters with the same hand writing on the same type envelope with the same return address............

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anotheridea, to please everybody we can do it this way, everyone will get 20 players, 1 from each team. How does that sound?

Then everyone will get to write to a player at their favourite team. And no team will get loads of similar letters with the same hand writing on the same type envelope with the same return address............

If everyone writes 20, then each club will get 20+ copies of the same letter. I think they'd cop on to that.

And why do you think we all live in the same house? :D

If everyone writes 20, then each club will get 20+ copies of the same letter. I think they'd cop on to that.

Well it's gonna work like that anyway, if we all had random players, everyone would still have written the same letter.

So maybe we should change the letters ever so slightly for each one

But they're not all going to the same club, are they? 20 people sending 1 letter each to one player on one of 20 different clubs, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If this doesnt get off the ground someone should atleast mail all 20 prem managers and say that many of us have great stories about sending letters to clubs/players when we were young and getting personalised letters and autographs from them that meant ever so much to us. Then actually go on to explain that many believe that the modern footballers who are much more high profile celebrity figures would not take the same time to reply to their fans and thus we have sent this letter to every clubs manager to see which clubs players would actually respond. We could then go on to say that any letters etc recieved would be forwarded to young supporters of their team who are currently in hospital.

The good PR charitable aspect of the letters combined with the fact that they wouldent want to not reply when their rivals may do so which would put them in a somewhat negative light im sure would encourage more responses and also turn this project into a more coverable subject from a media standpoint :)

Does he wear Number 8? Edited so.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fantastic idea lads. Wonder if any of them would be arsed replying to a letter from little Bruce who lives way out in the bush Down Under :pac:

But they're not all going to the same club, are they? 20 people sending 1 letter each to one player on one of 20 different clubs, no?
    This is what I thought the plan was.

Correct!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Correct!

Never question my skill when Maths are involved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

So what exactly are we doing?
    I'm a bit confused!

Can I just pick any random player from any team and write to him?

I got a reply from Steve McManaman years ago when I was about 10,signed picture of him and a Liverpool squad poster,was well chuffed at the time!

currythis wrote: »
    So what exactly are we doing?
    I'm a bit confused!

Can I just pick any random player from any team and write to him?

I got a reply from Steve McManaman years ago when I was about 10,signed picture of him and a Liverpool squad poster,was well chuffed at the time!

If you want in, i will assign you 20 players. Each one will be from a different club. Player selections are random.

You will then write letters to them asking for an autograph or signed picture.

If or when you recieve reply, some here and tell us. maybe even take a picture of said item :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fair Play Lads Keep It Up. Great Idea OP.
    Ill be back to check the outcome :D

Blisterman wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to write letters to players from other sports, as well, to compare to see if they reply more or less often.

It'd have to be the top people at each sport, to make them comparable to Premiership stars.

I'd volunteer to write to Rugby players. Maybe 5 of the Lions picked at random.
    Done.
    Using the random number generator, I picked 4 players at random out of the 22 players from the first Lions test They were:

14: Tommy Bowe
    2: Lee Mears
    9: Mike Philips
    3: Phil Vickery
    8: Jamie Heaslip

So I handwrote them all a letter with more or less the exact wording to DaPoolRulz's letter. Sent them to the club address on each of their websites.
    Let's see who replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What does it cost to send a letter to England?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Done.
    Using the random number generator, I picked 4 players at random out of the 22 players from the first Lions test They were:

14: Tommy Bowe
    2: Lee Mears
    9: Mike Philips
    3: Phil Vickery
    8: Jamie Heaslip

So I handwrote them all a letter with more or less the exact wording to DaPoolRulz's letter. Sent them to the club address on each of their websites.
    Let's see who replies.

If you want to see the letters, here they are:
    Spelling mistakes and sloppy handwriting intact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement