Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Experiment - Do Footballers Reply To Fans Anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im in too :D How we gona know where to post to though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What does it cost to send a letter to England?
    82 cent.

Should include a few LOI players too for the interest. And Celtic of course! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you want in, i will assign you 20 players. Each one will be from a different club. Player selections are random.

You will then write letters to them asking for an autograph or signed picture.

If or when you recieve reply, some here and tell us. maybe even take a picture of said item :D

Yeah I'm in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cool, i'll sort out the players tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

you should probably sort the players into tiers for the experiment. Obviously someone like Rooney is going to get more fan mail than someone like Dean Ashton so making groups based on player status and then making percentage replies would be quite interesting imo. Also I dunno if you are going to get 20 people willing to pay about €15 for the experiment...

Maybe I'm just complicating things, good luck anyway.

Liam O wrote: »
    you should probably sort the players into tiers for the experiment. Obviously someone like Rooney is going to get more fan mail than someone like Dean Ashton so making groups based on player status and then making percentage replies would be quite interesting imo. Also I dunno if you are going to get 20 people willing to pay about €15 for the experiment...

Maybe I'm just complicating things, good luck anyway.

I think random makes it less complicated.

And you might be right about the cost thing but if they get anything back i'm sure they might be able to sell it on eBay and maybe get their €15 back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Does it have to be 20 letters per person? That seems a bit excessive. I don't mean to sound stingy but that's a fairly big ask on a poor sod like myself! By my calculations that's €16.40 for each volunteer.

Following on from Blisterman's example, how about each person just mails 5 letters to 5 players? For example...

Volunteer 1:

Arsenal player
    A. Villa player
    Birmingham player
    Blackburn player
    Bolton player

Volunteer 2:

Burnley player
    Chelsea player
    Everton player
    Fulham player
    Hull player

And so on. To me that's a lot more manageable and by my calculations will cost each volunteer €4.10, which isn't too bad at all. I'm sure there would be a lot more people willing to take part if it was a bit more cost-friendly.

Not trying to tell you how to run things MrStuffins. I think you have hit on a concept which is ace but I feel it needs a bit of tweaking. I'd love to be involved in this but I can't mail off 20 letters. Sure I couldn't be arsed doing that for players I liked. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'll write to Stevie G.

FAO MR STEVEN GERRARD
    PRISONER NUMBER 8
    CELL BLOCK H
    STRANGEWAYS PRISON
    YNWA 5/18

Fiendish judge: making him do his time in Manchester. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fantastic idea lads. Wonder if any of them would be arsed replying to a letter from little Bruce who lives way out in the bush Down Under :pac:

Maybe if you tell them that your dad is doing work for the international drainage commission too :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Blisterman wrote: »
    If you want to see the letters, here they are:
    Spelling mistakes and sloppy handwriting intact.

Class...you should have put in a few backwards Rs and such while you were at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Does it have to be 20 letters per person? That seems a bit excessive. I don't mean to sound stingy but that's a fairly big ask on a poor sod like myself! By my calculations that's €16.40 for each volunteer.

Following on from Blisterman's example, how about each person just mails 5 letters to 5 players? For example...

Volunteer 1:

Arsenal player
    A. Villa player
    Birmingham player
    Blackburn player
    Bolton player

Volunteer 2:

Burnley player
    Chelsea player
    Everton player
    Fulham player
    Hull player

And so on. To me that's a lot more manageable and by my calculations will cost each volunteer €4.10, which isn't too bad at all. I'm sure there would be a lot more people willing to take part if it was a bit more cost-friendly.

Not trying to tell you how to run things MrStuffins. I think you have hit on a concept which is ace but I feel it needs a bit of tweaking. I'd love to be involved in this but I can't mail off 20 letters. Sure I couldn't be arsed doing that for players I liked. :pac:

Yup, I agree with this idea, assuming you can get the number of volunteers required. Sending 20 letters each is a small bit excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

20 volunteers, 1 letter each.

I'm in if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Volunteer 1:

Arsenal player
    A. Villa player
    Birmingham player
    Blackburn player
    Bolton player

Volunteer 2:

Burnley player
    Chelsea player
    Everton player
    Fulham player
    Hull player

Yeah I think you're right on this.

Hand writing 20 letters is also quite time consuming. If it's a more manageable number I'll happily take part. I'm on nights this coming week so I should have time to write them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

What does it cost to send a letter to England?

How much to Los Angeles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

if numbers are big enough, then maybe send letters to a few players of the bigger teams in european leagues, maybe 5 from spain & italy, and 3 or so from germany, france. Would be interestin to see if players are less likely to reply, as irish people aren't traditionally strong supporters of these leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

thebhoy wrote: »
    if numbers are big enough, then maybe send letters to a few players of the bigger teams in european leagues, maybe 5 from spain & italy, and 3 or so from germany, france. Would be interestin to see if players are less likely to reply, as irish people aren't traditionally strong supporters of these leagues.

Language stuff though. Dutch and German leagues might work. Italy and Spain no. If there's really a lot of people interested I'd say move to the Championship, more likely to get a reply and a good few Irish players around too.

But I say don't cap the number of volunteers either. More people will probably express interest after it's started. Just give 5 to each so far (I'm also in btw) like someone else said, postage won't be too bad then.

Then anyone else who wants in can get the next 5. As long as someone keeps a record of all of them so we're not doubling up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Looks like I can send my letter to Stevie at home now anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this was done 2 months ago by the Guardian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Great idea lads
    The general concensous regarding fan mail for footballers seems to be that you should send a few photos of the player with the letter and a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) as this will increase your chances of a reply.
    I have heard of Walcott, Arshavin, Ballack and the likes sending on autographed photos with this method.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'll do one to Craig Bellamy. Big ego, feeling low at the moment cos he has no chance of getting his game. But he's a nice chap, so I'm sure he'll reply.

PiE wrote: »

yeh i pointed this out in the other thread too, couldnt find it for the life of me though...

The guardian only sent out letters to 20 premiership players though.

Nope eirebhoy all players, FTA: "sending out a request to a player at each of the 20 Premier League clubs."

Nope eirebhoy all players, FTA: "sending out a request to a player at each of the 20 Premier League clubs."
    All 20 clubs. 1 player from each club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

A player = 1

1 x 20 = ?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

And you might be right about the cost thing but if they get anything back i'm sure they might be able to sell it on eBay and maybe get their €15 back

Maybe that's why you won't get as many replies back as you would have done in the 1980's?

ah i took it up wrong sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

you can count me in.ill sent a few letters

imo 5 letters is probably enough,

Cool, 20 is a bit much, perhaps 5 each?

• Advertisement

5 each. 20 is too expensive.

Everyone happy to do 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

We should write the same letter to the captain of each club.

smithy1981 wrote: »
    We should write the same letter to the captain of each club.

Nah i'd still be interested to see the average Premiership player's reaction.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'd be very interested to document the outcome of this on my new webbie, if whoever's over this wouldn't mind. You can give me a shout, if you like

Volunteer 1:

Arsenal player
    A. Villa player
    Birmingham player
    Blackburn player
    Bolton player

Volunteer 2:

Burnley player
    Chelsea player
    Everton player
    Fulham player
    Hull player

In the vain of this, as it makes so much sense, i will now go off and pick out the volunteers one by one and pick random players from the teams written..........
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to document the outcome of this on my new webbie, if whoever's over this wouldn't mind. You can give me a shout, if you like

Absolutely :D

Using the Random Number Generator to determine the players, they'll be then removed from the list:

DaPoolRulez

1) Arsenal: Samir Nasri
    2) Villa: Moustapha Salifou
    3) Brum: Artur Krysiak
    4) Blackburn: Gael Givet
    5) Bolton: Fabrice Muamba

The Pm Of 17

1) Burley: Wes Fletcher
    2) Chelsea: Ashley Cole
    3) Everton: Phil Neville
    4) Fulham: David Stockdale
    5) Hull City: Sam Ricketts

Eoin99

1) Liverpool: Martin Skrtl
    2) Man City: Robinho
    3) Man Utd: David Petrucci
    4) Pompey: Hayden Mullins
    5) Stoke: Steve Simonsen

Missingtime

1) Sunderland: Robbie Weir
    2) Spurs: Huerelho Gomes
    3) West Ham: James Tomkins
    4) Wigan: Marlon King
    5) Wolves: Sylvan Ebanks Blake

Keane 2097

1) Arsenal: William Gallas
    2) Villa: Marc Albrighton
    3) Brum: Keith Fahey
    4) Blackburn: Benni McCarthy
    5) Bolton: Joey O'Brien

ctrl-alt-delete

1) Burley: Kevin McDonald
    2) Chelsea: Claudio Pizarro
    3) Everton: Tony Hibbert
    4) Fulham: Adrian Leijer
    5) Hull City: Nick Barmby

mayordenis

1) Liverpool: Philipp Degen
    2) Man City: Micah Richards
    3) Man Utd: Wes Brown
    4) Pompey: Papa Bouba Diop
    5) Stoke: Michael Tonge

Eire-Dearg

1) Sunderland: Andy Reid
    2) Spurs: Robbie Keane
    3) West Ham: Savio
    4) Wigan: Emmerson Boyce
    5) Wolves: Ashley Hemmings

Mr.Nice Guy

1) Arsenal: Armand Traoré
    2) Villa: Nathan Delfouneso
    3) Brum: Garry O'Connor
    4) Blackburn: Morten Gamst Pedersen
    5) Bolton: Jussi Jääskeläinen

currythis

1) Burley: Richard Eckersley
    2) Chelsea: Henrique Hilário
    3) Everton: Joleon Lescott
    4) Fulham: Diomansy Kamara
    5) Hull City: Liam Cooper

curry-muff

1) Liverpool: Andriy Voronin
    2) Man City: Nigel de Jong
    3) Man Utd: Paul Scholes
    4) Pompey: Niko Kranjčar
    5) Stoke: Andy Wilkinson

PiE

1) Sunderland: George McCartney
    2) Spurs: Alan Hutton
    3) West Ham: Scott Parker
    4) Wigan: Jason Scotland
    5) Wolves: Sam Vokes

yabadabado

1) Arsenal: Mikaël Silvestre
    2) Villa: Nigel Reo-Coker
    3) Brum: David Murphy
    4) Blackburn: Vince Grella
    5) Bolton: Matthew Taylor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Using the Random Number Generator to determine the players, they'll be then removed from the list:

DaPoolRulez

1) Arsenal: Samir Nasri
    2) Villa: Moustapha Salifou
    3) Brum: Artur Krysiak
    4) Blackburn: Gael Givet
    5) Bolton: Fabrice Muamba

You might as well write yours in French :D

Damn, I got Nasri. With his injury he's probably flooded with letters :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i see i got a real who's who of superstars:)

im ready to go whenever we agree on the layout or whatever.if i dont get something from that bunch ill be pissed ! i bet it will be the 1st fan mail some of them ever got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

The Pm Of 17

1) Burley: Wes Fletcher
    2) Chelsea: Ashley Cole:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I really hope I get nothing back.
    3) Everton: Phil Neville :) A bit of balance anyway.
    4) Fulham: David Stockdale
    5) Hull City: Sam Ricketts

Haha, i was keeping it random, none of those player lists seem to be very appealing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Also, since i've already used the random number generator on burnley, can i use that number, since my player is an 18 year old on loan in scotland, so only a generic club cover letter would be sent back.

Also, since i've already used the random number generator on burnley, can i use that number, since my player is an 18 year old on loan in scotland, so only a generic club cover letter would be sent back.

Part of the point of the experiment is having players of all types

Mr.Nice Guy

1) Arsenal: Armand Traoré
    2) Villa: Nathan Delfouneso
    3) Brum: Garry O'Connor
    4) Blackburn: Morten Gamst Pedersen
    5) Bolton: Jussi Jääskeläinen

Jussi aside, these fan letters are going to be one mighty big challenge! But I'll give it a shot. :)

• Advertisement

Jussi aside, these fan letters are going to be one mighty big challenge! But I'll give it a shot. :)

I'd say Gamst gets a good bit of fan mail!

I'd say Gamst gets a good bit of fan mail!

Yeah, that's true. It's a fun experiment. If one of them writes back I'd definitely look out for them in the rest of their careers.

When do you reckon we should start sending them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No time like the present.
    My Rugby ones were posted this morning.

I will send mine on tuesday.are we gonna send the same letter to all the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think so. Isn't that the point? Send the exact same letter to every player, so that things are kept equal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement