Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Experiment - Do Footballers Reply To Fans Anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Fair play lads. This should be interesting!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I think you're right on this.

Hand writing 20 letters is also quite time consuming. If it's a more manageable number I'll happily take part. I'm on nights this coming week so I should have time to write them too.

Thought I'd said I was in. Anyways, if you're still looking for participants now that it's five, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Using the Random Number Generator to determine the players, they'll be then removed from the list:

Eoin99

1) Liverpool: Martin Skrtl
    2) Man City: Robinho
    3) Man Utd: David Petrucci
    4) Pompey: Hayden Mullins
    5) Stoke: Steve Simonsen

What are the chances Robinho will send anything???:pac::pac: Petrucci won't know whats happening getting fanmail:p:p

Will send these off as early next week as I can. Where exactly should they be addressed to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Thought I'd said I was in. Anyways, if you're still looking for participants now that it's five, I'm in.

Cool man, as many participants as possible now we're down to 5,
    eoin99 wrote: »
    What are the chances Robinho will send anything???:pac::pac: Petrucci won't know whats happening getting fanmail:p:p

Will send these off as early next week as I can. Where exactly should they be addressed to?

Funny thing is, Robinho is supposed to be really down to earth. I saw on Sky Sports News that him and his girlfriend went shopping in Manchester and took the BUS! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

when I was a Kid my mam got a book about the size of a wallet to Denis Irwin. He got the whole team and the boss to sign it. was sweet.

Funny thing is, Robinho is supposed to be really down to earth. I saw on Sky Sports News that him and his girlfriend went shopping in Manchester and took the BUS! :cool:

Robinho on the BUS...seriously?!? I mite write to him saying he's my favourite Chelsea player:D:D

eoin99 wrote: »
    Robinho on the BUS...seriously?!? I mite write to him saying he's my favourite Chelsea player:D:D

Check it out http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1945590.ece

Looking at that picture on the right, Robinho must be much taller than he looks on tv :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

To the person writing to Ashley Cole, make sure you include a mobile as a gift to definitly get a reply back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Unearthly wrote: »
    To the person writing to Ashley Cole, make sure you include a mobile as a gift to definitly get a reply back.

Id ask for a few pics of the mrs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Missingtime

1) Sunderland: Robbie Weir
    2) Spurs: Huerelho Gomes
    3) West Ham: James Tomkins
    4) Wigan: Marlon King
    5) Wolves: Sylvan Ebanks Blake

Aww...jeeze. Gomes, he'll just drop the letter.

Ebanks Blake could be interesting. He's a liverpool fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'll write to Stevie G.

FAO MR STEVEN GERRARD
    PRISONER NUMBER 8
    CELL BLOCK H
    STRANGEWAYS PRISON
    YNWA 5/18

Mods: What happened to the Steven Gerrard thread? It seems to have disappeared into thin air? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Mods: What happened to the Steven Gerrard thread? It seems to have disappeared into thin air? :confused:

Things were getting too heated/spculative/dodgy/all of the above, so it was locked a couple of days ago.

Edit: Although I can't find it at all now. Probably the third or fourth option above, so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I will send one to Stevie G with talcom powder in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

id be veyr interested in this but how would u go about getting all them players addresses?im sure alot of them would send stuff back and alot wont.

Fo anyone that's wondering, www.fanmail.biz has the addresses of all the clubs, and you can just add the player's name at the top.

Does anyone know if you can get British stamps in An Post, or if Airmail stickers here going to England will work sending from England to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

curry-muff

1) Liverpool: Andriy Voronin
    2) Man City: Nigel de Jong
    3) Man Utd: Paul Scholes
    4) Pompey: Niko Kranjčar
    5) Stoke: Andy Wilkinson

Be interesting to see if scholsey replies, voronin will surely think im taking the piss though :pac::pac:

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Fo anyone that's wondering, www.fanmail.biz has the addresses of all the clubs, and you can just add the player's name at the top.

cool thanks, is their any spots left avaible?

nkay1985

1) Burley: Stephen Jordan
    2) Chelsea: Paulo Ferreira
    3) Everton: Dan Gosling
    4) Fulham: Eddie Johnson
    5) Hull City: Matt Duke

marko91

1) Liverpool: Daniel Agger
    2) Man City: Vincent Kompany
    3) Man Utd: Darron Gibson
    4) Pompey: Hermann Hreiðarsson
    5) Stoke: Glenn Whelan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Ebanks Blake could be interesting

a bird i was in college with scored him a few years back [/useless information]

Helix wrote: »
    a bird i was in college with scored him a few years back [/useless information]

Was it while he was at Man Utd? Coz i think she's the only thing he scored bwfore he went to Wolves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Was it while he was at Man Utd? Coz i think she's the only thing he scored bwfore he went to Wolves!

lol

he banged a few in for plymouth i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'll give it a go as well for the craic sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Have many letters been sent off yet?

do ya make ur own letters up or do we all send the same thing away?if so can i have a copy?

• Advertisement

marko91 wrote: »
    do ya make ur own letters up or do we all send the same thing away?if so can i have a copy?

I wrote a sample draft a few pages back, that you can edit and tweak to fit each individual footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ill be definitely up for this,the more obscure player the better for me! Ah no,I know its random but Im definitely up for it.

Must go up to my attic I used to do this years ago with my mates and got tons of replies! Collymore,Barnes,Kinkladze etc might try and eBay 'em!

baz2009

1) Sunderland: Michael Liddle
    2) Spurs: Michael Dawson
    3) West Ham: Jack Collison
    4) Wigan: Titus Bramble
    5) Wolves: Karl Henry

Gillington

1) Arsenal: Kieran Gibbs
    2) Villa: Wilfred Bouma
    3) Brum: Jordon Mutch
    4) Blackburn: Paul Robinson
    5) Bolton: Jlloyd Samuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Gillington

1) Arsenal: Kieran Gibbs
    2) Villa: Wilfred Bouma
    3) Brum: Jordon Mutch
    4) Blackburn: Paul Robinson
    5) Bolton: Jlloyd Samuel

Good stuff,Ill get on it in the morning! Interesting to see if Robbo gets back,It'll be him and Bouma who wont reply if no-one does.

baz2009

1) Sunderland: Michael Liddle
    2) Spurs: Michael Dawson
    3) West Ham: Jack Collison
    4) Wigan: Titus Bramble
    5) Wolves: Karl Henry

Alright, I'll get on it in a few minutes, can't see Michael Dawson writing back tbh, never liked his attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Are you going to write as adults or children because if you where a child writing to there superstar i'd imagine they'd be much more inclined to write back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Gillington wrote: »
    Good stuff,Ill get on it in the morning! Interesting to see if Robbo gets back
    Alright, I'll get on it in a few minutes, can't see Michael Dawson writing back tbh, never liked his attitude.

From talking to mates who've met both, they are both very genuine and always have time for fans they meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great idea lads
    The general concensous regarding fan mail for footballers seems to be that you should send a few photos of the player with the letter and a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) as this will increase your chances of a reply.
    I have heard of Walcott, Arshavin, Ballack and the likes sending on autographed photos with this method.
    Bit pointless sending a SASE if you're sending a letter to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

?

Michael Dawson from Spurs?

Dawson has to be one of the most down to earth, good natured footballers out there. Are you thinking of the right bloke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Bit pointless sending a SASE if you're sending a letter to England.

Well yes but you can buy mail vouchers if you are international.
    Anyway the point was the chances of a reply are far greater with this method and that's with replies being sent back in the U.K.

Well yes but you can buy mail vouchers if you are international.
    That is something I did not know.

Anyway the point was the chances of a reply are far greater with this method and that's with replies being sent back in the U.K.
    The way I see it though is that if a £20k a week footballer can't be ársed to pay for the post to send a fan a signed photo he doesn't really give a shít about his fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It wouldn't be the cost of it, just the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

eirebhoy wrote: »

Exactly.

Of course money isn't the issue but Jesus, how much hassle is it to get your PA to go out and post a few letters every month?

Having fans is part and parcel of being a footballer. I just find it annoying that some players find it too much hassle to look after their fans. I'm not expecting a 24hr turnaround on signed photos, but they could at least eventually find the time to get around to it.

As for Rock Stars!! Don't get me started on them!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eirebhoy wrote: »

what hassle? They'd more than likely get a PA, their agent or a secretary at the club to actually do the posting, including sorting out the postage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If it's no hassle then I'm expecting 100% response rate. :)

Just got around to sending off the letters there today. Now we play the waiting game.

*checks watch*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ive only wrote one of them, must get writing the rest today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As for Rock Stars!! Don't get me started on them!! :P

Poor oul Ringo. leave him alone! After all this was the man who brought us the fat controller on TV!

seriously he's probably signed more photo's and replied to more fans over the years than anyone else in history.

Appearing in an episode in the Simpsons probably didn't help either

What should I send in the envelope with the letter? concerning stamps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Poor oul Ringo. leave him alone! After all this was the man who brought us the fat controller on TV!

Eh? he was the narrator of the show was he not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

If there is room left - count me in (cant wait to see what players I get...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Just thought I'd chime in here, being in the US, I mailed off 5 today to some MLS players:

1) NY: Juan Pablo Angel
    2) Columbus: Guillermo Barros Schelotto
    3) Seattle: Freddie Ljungberg
    4) LA: Landon Donovan
    5) Chicago: Cuauhtemoc Blanco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Eh? he was the narrator of the show was he not?

yeah, he was the voice of them all. It just wasn't the same after Ringo left...

Advertisement