Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Experiment - Do Footballers Reply To Fans Anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Redzer7

1) Liverpool: Sotirios Kyrgiakos
    2) Man City: Pablo Zabaleta
    3) Man Utd: Tomasz Kuszczak
    4) Pompey: Marc Wilson
    5) Stoke: Mamady Sidibe

joe316

1) Sunderland: Kieran Richardson
    2) Spurs: Robbie Keane
    3) West Ham: Jonathan Spector
    4) Wigan: Richard Kingson
    5) Wolves: John Dunleavy

paddy978

1) Arsenal: Denílson
    2) Villa: Emile Heskey
    3) Brum: Chucho Benitez
    4) Blackburn: Frank Fielding
    5) Bolton:Ricardo Vaz Té

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

any chance I could hope on the bandwagon?! :)

A few years ago me and my brother wrote to Viera and Petit and got responses I think Arsenal have someone employed for it cause in the Guardian and here it was the same kind of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

I'll definitely take part in this experiment. Please!

Few questions...where do I get address for the players?

And....are people including a stamped addressed envelope?

This is cool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Fo anyone that's wondering, www.fanmail.biz has the addresses of all the clubs, and you can just add the player's name at the top.
    thats were i got the addresses i needed.
    i didnt send S.A.E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Mr Stuffins give me a list and I will grovel with the best of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Mr Stuffins i'll throw my hat in the ring too, if thats ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Just saw the post with Steve Simonsens, what a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

blue-army wrote: »
    Here ya go!
    EDIT - Got more from Schalke again today.

Don't know why they sent more to be honest, Got one from Halil Altintop, and the same again from Jefferson Farfan, Gerald Asamoah and Kevin Kuranyi.
    It seems Schalke are the club to email if you want autographs! (I only emailed them 2weeks ago max.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Only after getting round to writing my letters tonight, probably best saying Kranjčar moved to spurs yesterday :pac: Ive wrote letters to all 5 of my players and 2 additional ones to Roy Keane and Phil Neville as ex united players ive admired. Ill mail them off tomorow and hopefully recieve a reply or two :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've two of my five letters written. Going to write the remainder next week and send them off. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

liamygunner29

1) Burley: Nik Kudiersky
    2) Chelsea: Michael Essien
    3) Everton: James Wallace
    4) Fulham: Damien Duff
    5) Hull City: Kevin Kilbane

hblock21

1) Liverpool: Jay Spearing
    2) Man City: Roque Santa Cruz
    3) Man Utd: Ritchie De Laet
    4) Pompey: Jamie Ashdown
    5) Stoke: Abdoulaye Faye

dannydiamond

1) Sunderland: Nyron Nosworthy
    2) Spurs: Niko Kranjčar
    3) West Ham: Hérita Ilunga
    4) Wigan: Hugo Rodallega
    5) Wolves: Kyle Bennett

pokerface_me

1) Arsenal: Theo Walcott
    2) Villa: Moustapha Salifou
    3) Brum: Giovanny Espinoza
    4) Blackburn: Pascal Chimbonda
    5) Bolton:Ali Al Habsi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've my five written and sent off a few days.
    Any chance of another five or am I being greedy?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

duffer and kilbane!! be interesting see how our own respond!! Essien I would imagine not a hope! That Wallace lad has represented Ireland as well. 3 Irish this is what a get for starting a club or country thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ive got kranjcar already :p

curry-muff wrote: »
    Ive got kranjcar already :p

Yeah, i was thinkin about pullong him back (Spurs one) but i guess there'd be no harm in comparing the 2! If they're identical, i guess it's himself or his agent, if they're different then maybe it'ss the clubs.

If it's just Spurs then it's sour grapes :D

• Advertisement

I've my five written and sent off a few days.
    Any chance of another five or am I being greedy?:P

Seth Delicious Race

1) Burley: Chris Eagles
    2) Chelsea: Branislav Ivanović
    3) Everton: Tony Hibbert
    4) Fulham: Andranik
    5) Hull City: Nicky Featherstone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Right, gwan I'm in! Gimme 5! ;)

8-10 wrote: »
    Right, gwan I'm in! Gimme 5! ;)

8-10

1) Liverpool: Nathan Eccleston
    2) Man City: Stephen Ireland
    3) Man Utd: Craig Cathcart
    4) Pompey: Nwankwo Kanu
    5) Stoke: Liam Lawrence (Liam Richardson)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

MrStuffins wrote: »
    8-10

Lol, good one ;)

Good man, didn't expect to get an ex-Ajax player (I support Ajax). That'll be an enjoyable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

As Simonsen was so sound to send the gloves, am I alone in thinking that as thet were gotten by false pretences, should they maybe be sent back so that they could be given to a real Simonsen/Stoke fan. Could explain the experiment to him and tell him that he was the winner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

As Simonsen was so sound to send the gloves, am I alone in thinking that as thet were gotten by false pretences, should they maybe be sent back so that they could be given to a real Simonsen/Stoke fan. Could explain the experiment to him and tell him that he was the winner...

you raise a fair point there i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

MrStuffins wrote: »
    8-10

just incase chris kamara is on boards:pac:

Helix wrote: »
    you raise a fair point there i think

I think we're now the biggest Simonsen fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I must write to Phil Babb and Dante Washington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Blisterman wrote: »
    Done.
    Using the random number generator, I picked 4 players at random out of the 22 players from the first Lions test They were:

14: Tommy Bowe
    2: Lee Mears
    9: Mike Philips
    3: Phil Vickery
    8: Jamie Heaslip

So I handwrote them all a letter with more or less the exact wording to DaPoolRulz's letter. Sent them to the club address on each of their websites.
    Let's see who replies.

Received my first reply today from England and Bath player Lee Mears, who sent a personally autographed photo. I'll scan it in if anyone's interested.
    Since the season's just started, I suppose there's a good chance the players are only receiving the letters now, so hopefully I'll hear back from the others. I'd especially like to get a response from one of the Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Actually I think it'd be far better to say nothing.

Nothing wrong with letting him think he has a fan out there - and in fairness he certainly has quite a few now.

Personally I'd be more upset to find out I'd wasted my time with an experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

8-10 wrote: »
    I think we're now the biggest Simonsen fans.

haha yeah thats also very true actually

we should set up a steve simonsen appreciation society

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Actually I think it'd be far better to say nothing.

Nothing wrong with letting him think he has a fan out there - and in fairness he certainly has quite a few now.

This is exactly right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Maybe a good idea to stop the experiment and not send any more letters then. As it's whoever has sent the letter (under false pretences) has caused the player to waste his time.

Not very nice IMO, something distasteful about this whole thing. Deception and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Maybe a good idea to stop the experiment and not send any more letters then. As it's whoever has sent the letter (under false pretences) has caused the player to waste his time.

Not very nice IMO, something distasteful about this whole thing. Deception and all that...

Ah it's fun though.:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I might write to Alan Smith and deceive him greatly. Then send him a pic of me burning whatever he sends me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wastes his time? All 2 minutes of it?

It's not as if it did any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I might write to Alan Smith and deceive him greatly. Then send him a pic of me burning whatever he sends me.

sigh :( a player takes time to repsond to a 'fan' and this is what happens. no wonder some players dont do anything for fans anymore...

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

I've got two replies from footballers in my youth, Kevin Hunt and Shay Given. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Got reply's this morning from Urby Emanuelson and Luis Suarez of Ajax and Tony Mowbray the Celtic Manager,I only e-mailed them last Monday so fair play to both Ajax and Celtic

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

How did you know where to email?
    currythis wrote: »
    Got reply's this morning from Urby Emanuelson and Luis Suarez of Ajax and Tony Mowbray the Celtic Manager,I only e-mailed them last Monday so fair play to both Ajax and Celtic

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good to see Simonsen come on today for Stoke :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyone else hope Thomas Sorensen gets injured soon? :pac:

Didn't take long, did it? :P

Our man mostly did well when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Is it too late to throw my name into the hat guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

How is this going? who was the best reply (bar the gloves, total ledge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I was too late for this, but I decided to email a few european clubs and a few random english clubs.

I just got the email addresses from that link to the Fanmail.biz site that someone left below. Wasn't bothered writing a letter, so just fired out the same email to each...

Anyway,
    after only 5 days I got a reply from Ajax. Got an signed pics from Dennis Bergkamp, Oleguer,Anita and Dario Cvitanich. All definately hand signed, and not printed.

Also got some from Schalke - from Farfan, Asamoah, Kuranyi and Neuer.

Best one though was a personalized signed pic by Rafa Nadal. :) Think I just left the msg on his website.

So, what did you do? Just send off a generic email with your address to a few clubs email addresses and they sent you back all that stuff? Did you ask for any specific players?

ADTR wrote: »
    So, what did you do? Just send off a generic email with your address to a few clubs email addresses and they sent you back all that stuff? Did you ask for any specific players?
    yeah, just made a generic letter, and changed the club names in each. (for Ajax I asked specifically for Bergkamps though - they sent it, and more.)
    Got a signed pic from Franz Beckenbauer too recently. :) I just used the email left on the fanmail.biz site.

yeah, just made a generic letter, and changed the club names in each. (for Ajax I asked specifically for Bergkamps though - they sent it, and more.)
    Got a signed pic from Franz Beckenbauer too recently. :) I just used the email left on the fanmail.biz site.

Alright. Thanks! I'll give it a go so.

• Advertisement

Got an email reply from Wolves:

Thank you for your e mail. As we get hundreds of requests each week for free items I am afraid we are not able to send you anything. Please see our website for items available by mail order and information about the Club. WWW.Wolves.co.uk . Best wishes

You had more luck than me with Ajax. I emailed them and they sent me a postcard signed by Jereon Verhoeven. Included a piece of paper that said they can only send one free postcard and then a price list for more. Better than nothing and a quick reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is it too late to throw my name into the hat guys?

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I just got another reply from my batch of 5 PL players.

An autographed picture of Gael Givet (Blackburn)

ADTR wrote: »
    You had more luck than me with Ajax. I emailed them and they sent me a postcard signed by Jereon Verhoeven. Included a piece of paper that said they can only send one free postcard and then a price list for more. Better than nothing and a quick reply!
    just send another email. I got that price list thing too... but they still sent more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement