Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Experiment - Do Footballers Reply To Fans Anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Got an autographed pic of Roy Hodgson in the post this morning along with a blank with compliments of Fulham slip.

So far I've gotten responses from Roy Hodgson,Tony Mowbray,Luis Suarez and Urby Emanuelson so I've been pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

I got my first reply this morning. Javier Garrido, signed postcard, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eoin99 wrote: »
    Just back from holidays today and have got two replies. I got a Liverpool FC Official magazine from 2008 when there was a feature done on Martin Skrtl, just a standard office reply to fanmail.

Then I was amazed with what I got from Steve Simonsen. He sent me a signed pair of old keepers gloves and a letter in response:D:D.Was pretty shocked to be honest. Some pics added.

No word yet from Robinho, Mullins or Petrucci.

Jesus, that is an amazingly nice thing to do. Wish i had read this thread earlier.

Just wondering for all of you guys with autographs, are they printed/photocopies or originals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

noodler wrote: »
    Just wondering for all of you guys with autographs, are they printed/photocopies or originals?
    Mine from Givet is definately legit, you can see where he signed with the marker that it looks 'shinier' where it went over the blue part of the jersey. You don't get that when it's printed onto the card, only when it's done with an actual marker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

ADTR wrote: »
    Got an email reply from Wolves:

Thank you for your e mail. As we get hundreds of requests each week for free items I am afraid we are not able to send you anything. Please see our website for items available by mail order and information about the Club. WWW.Wolves.co.uk . Best wishes
    They are just trying to get money out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

manutd wrote: »
    They are just trying to get money out of you.

really??? thanks for the heads up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Eh can I join in lads?Sorry its a bit late I only got access the other day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Hey all,so I've sent a few letters and emails out,so far I got a squad poster from Barcelona,three autographed squad cards from Wolfsburg,signed pictures of Mowbray and Beckenbauer and one from Ajax of Kennedy Bakircioglu (Championship Manager legend) :D

My letters must've been better than I thought, I got another reply from my PL players.

Got a personalised signed photo of Moustapha Salifou, and an A4 poster of the squad.

I wonder why I've gotten so many replies from my random players when others apparently haven't, luck of the draw? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    My letters must've been better than I thought, I got another reply from my PL players.

Got a personalised signed photo of Moustapha Salifou, and an A4 poster of the squad.

I wonder why I've gotten so many replies from my random players when others apparently haven't, luck of the draw? :confused:

Got a few back this week,got a picture from Peter Crouch with the autograph pre-printed on it,but Craig Bellamy sent one personalized :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Simonsen starts for stoke today against spurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

According to Jeff Stelling, Simonsen was the 'hero' and made 'a host of good saves'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just glancing through the thread

Wow, fair play to Steve Simonsen, I'll be watching out for how he gets on each weekend now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My 10 year old nephew just received a personalised signed photo of Aiden McGeady in the post today.

I had told him about this thread and said to him that because he was a genuine Celtic (and McGeady) fan he should send him a letter telling him he was a fan and would there be any chance of getting an autograph to put up on his wall beside his Celtic (and WWF) posters. :)

Great timing too cos he's at home sick at the moment with the pig flu so it's cheered him up no end. It'll obviously be a while before I go near the house to see it though. :D

Fair play to McGeady, I think he has a fan for life now.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    WWF
    Wildlife fan is he? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Wildlife fan is he? ;)
    Yep! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

1/5 for the rugby players after 3 months. What a shame. I was expecting them to be more accessible to their fans.
    Didn't enclose any stamps however. That could be why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A year since this thread?:eek:

Anyone else get any replies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Yeah, I'm interested to hear too.

Dish the dirt lads! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dunno but i'm gonna write to Sheff United and give Steve Simonsen a shout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I remember when i was just starting to remember things, i sent a letter off to Liverpool for autographs. It would have just been one of those innocent "Dear Kenny (Dalglish), you're my hero..........autographs????.......etc etc."

About a week or so later, i got a reply. My dad brought the letter up to me one school morning while i was sleeping and woke me up. There were no personal autographs. It was more like a progamme with printed autographs on the back. But there was an accompanying letter, addressed to me personally, not just Dear whoever, explaining the players have so many demands upon them etc etc and they hoped this would suffice.

It meant so much to even receive a reply from a great club like Liverpool. I know now it's just an administrive thing, but it's a big thing to a kid to get some sort of a reply. Just an acknowledgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

baz2009 wrote: »
    A year since this thread?:eek:

Anyone else get any replies?

Scary that it's a year, god I'm getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

What sort of things did people say in their E-Mails/letters. I only saw this there now. Wouldn't mind giving Stuart Taylor a shout :)

This was the template Dear Mr [insert surname]

I just wanted to write you a letter to let you know how much of a great servant you have been to [insert club], in my opinion.

In the time you have been at the club, you have certainly made a great impression on me, and I'm sure that the same can be said for other [insert club] supporters as well.

I was wondering, is there any chance of you sending me your autograph, a picture, anything. Whatever you choose, I assure you that it will hold a massive significance to me, and it will be proudly displayed to fellow [insert club] fans, and envious [insert rival club] fans.

My address is:
    [insert name and address]

Again, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your time,

[your signature].

I'm gonna give it another go!

Did ye just write to the club stadiums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

All I got back from John Terry was a rag with some gunk on it.

Got a personal picture from Ashley Cole though :)

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Ben Dover will send a mouldy rag and a signed picture if ya want?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

baz2009 wrote: »
    Ben Dover will send a mouldy rag and a signed picture if ya want?:P

No thanks I get enough bitch slapping you around the pitch as it is :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Aw man, you lost out big time. I asked John Terry for an autograph and he sent me a picture of Wayne Bridge's bird in the nip!!!

Good times!! :):)

Lesson is, you just gotta ask!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Might give this a go, but with championship players as they would probably love anyone writing to them.
    Best response yet was Steve Simonsen, who is now in the championship with Sheff Utd. Its that level of player who are so surprised to receive any fan mail, they will love it, and might actually give a decent reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

remember my brother sending away for autographs years ago,he is a big chelsea fan and it was when guillet was just after signing,he wrote asking for his autograph and got a signed photo of him back and it was hand done,could tell it wasnt printed on,he framed it and is delighted,it said "to mark" on it and everything! he sent away for an andy sinton one for me,****in andy sinton!! but he replied and signed it to my name and everything,i still have it,just remember getting this thing handed to me thinkin who the hell is he!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Have been following this thread with great interest and have found some of the stories to be wonderful.

As a result I've been thinking of doing something but would just like some thoughts on it first. Some background, I support Man Utd, my wife Supports Liverpool. Yes it's interesting.

Anyway for the first Christmas we were together I got her a signed champions league programme from Istanbul, she loved it.

So now we are living together and it's up in the hallway.

My mate gave me a champions league programme from Moscow... unfortunately not signed! So it's not allowed to go up on the wall until I get some signatures.

Now I should have tried when United were over at the Aviva recently but didn't think of it at the time and I amn't going to get to go over to Old Trafford anytime soon.

Do you think I should send off the programme to Old Trafford, explain the story to them, send a picture of the liverpool programme to back it up and hope that someone can get at least one signature on it (obviously from someone involved on that night!) and then I'll be able to put it up in the hall too!

Do you think it could happen? I know it's a risk but would you do it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Have been following this thread with great interest and have found some of the stories to be wonderful.

As a result I've been thinking of doing something but would just like some thoughts on it first. Some background, I support Man Utd, my wife Supports Liverpool. Yes it's interesting.

Anyway for the first Christmas we were together I got her a signed champions league programme from Istanbul, she loved it.

So now we are living together and it's up in the hallway.

My mate gave me a champions league programme from Moscow... unfortunately not signed! So it's not allowed to go up on the wall until I get some signatures.

Now I should have tried when United were over at the Aviva recently but didn't think of it at the time and I amn't going to get to go over to Old Trafford anytime soon.

Do you think I should send off the programme to Old Trafford, explain the story to them, send a picture of the liverpool programme to back it up and hope that someone can get at least one signature on it (obviously from someone involved on that night!) and then I'll be able to put it up in the hall too!

Do you think it could happen? I know it's a risk but would you do it?!

I'd say go for it! What do you have to lose? Sure its only a United programme anyway! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Wow, I think I may write off to a few footballers!

Chico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I wonder does Steve Simonson have that fanmail framed over his mantlepiece...

ColHol wrote: »
    I wonder does Steve Simonson have that fanmail framed over his mantlepiece...

Nice guys obviously don't finish first :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18234917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A real shame that. There were a lot of letters sent off from this thread, and very few who sent back personalised replies. Fair play to Simonsen. Hopefully he'll bounce back from Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Just read this thread now.

Steve Simonsen. What a great guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

We should all get together and bombard Simonsen with some positive fan mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Not so much a reply from a player, but a reply from Liverpool to my application for the top job after Houllier's departure. :D

Liverpool.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Einhard wrote: »
    Not so much a reply from a player, but a reply from Liverpool to my application for the top job after Houllier's departure. :D

Steve Staunton probably has a forests worth of them letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Expect the call sometime soon Einhard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Einhard wrote: »

Liverpool.jpg

Thats a weird way to spell Rick Parry in the signature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A real shame that. There were a lot of letters sent off from this thread, and very few who sent back personalised replies. Fair play to Simonsen. Hopefully he'll bounce back from Saturday.

Cracking fella as well. Sunderland fan and is often in the area when time allows.

Think he was released the other day but that was more to do with them needing to cut the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Paully D wrote: »
    Think he was released the other day but that was more to do with them needing to cut the wage bill.

Ah but had he scored the peno they might not have had to cut the wage bill. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Never meet your heros lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Would you believe I saw it pop up on the sky sports news ticker and thought to myself that there was a particular reason why I knew his name. Now I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SFA disciplinary rule 33 prohibits players, coaches, club officials and referees in Scotland from betting on football anywhere in the world.

Seems a bit over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We should do this again would love a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We should do this again would love a shot

yeah, followed this thread, would love to take part if we do it again.

As it was followed i got a PM saying a new post had been made, when i seen i had a notification i just though, ah crap, another infraction and my mind raced back to any posts i'd made over last 24hrs

Advertisement