Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beacon Motor Group

Options
  • 24-07-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone had any experience with the Beacon Motor Group in Sandyford, Dublin?
    They seem to have some nice cars ( audi and bmw ) and their prices aren't too bad, but they are not a SIMI member, a lot of their cars have incomplete histories or expired NCTs, and their warranty only covers problems with the engine or transmission for 3 months (unlike most other dealers who seem to cover any fault for up to 6 months) It all seems a bit sketchy and I'm just wondering what they are hiding?...any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 super106

Best sticking with SIMI dealers as these are the dealers who you will have some back up with should anything go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

super106 wrote: »
    Best sticking with SIMI dealers as these are the dealers who you will have some back up with should anything go wrong.

Backup? Don't get hung up on SIMI membership, they are there to protect their membership, not the customer. The best indication of the backup you'll get will be from previous customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 free-2-air

As a previous customer i was happy enough with service/price I got from these guys....my situation was slightly different though as the car i bought was new enough not to need an NCT and had a full service history which checked out when i called the garage in question.....also different in that i got a comprehensive 12 month third party guarantee rather than a limited three month one.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience but mine was pretty good.

Consumer Services

SIMI is a member’s organisation which consists of Dealers, Repairers, Vehicle Distributors, Wholesalers, Retailers, Vehicle Testers and many more important operators within the motor industry in Ireland. All members of SIMI are required to follow our code of ethics in their business practices and to maintain a high standard of customer service.
    Our aim is to assist in any dispute, which is within the scope of our consumer complaints service, between a consumer and a member.

Wouldnt you hate to buy a car and have something fail,ie suspension,diff,gearbox and then the dealer to tell you to go away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Discriminateire

Thanks for that super106, sounds like it's worth sticking to SIMI dealers - does it cost to join? Or do you scrutinise applicants - wondering why there aren't more members...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

LMAO :pac: - A couple of SIMI dealers have been through the courts in recent times for car clocking...

A SIMI delaer is not enough piece of mind for me unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Discriminateire

Guess the only way to be certain is to take the hit and buy a new car then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Guess the only way to be certain is to take the hit and buy a new car then!

As you can see there are mixed opinions about the SIMI.
    dont think you should write off a dealer coz of this.
    If you have a particular car in mind get it looked over by a professional, do usual checks.
    Hardly worth buying a new car without checking a used car over first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kartale wrote: »
    If you have a particular car in mind get it looked over by a professional, do usual checks.
    Hardly worth buying a new car without checking a used car over first ?

+1

Exactly. Surely if there is a full service history present and a Cartell check reveals nothing out of the ordinary then the prospective buyer should bring the car to a mechanic they know to get it checked out.
    If it's ok, then they can buy the car. At that stage it shouldn't matter if the dealer is SIMI or not - both will only offer limited warranties on second hand cars anyway. After that, it's all down to the owner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

SIMI is a member’s organisation...
    ...All members of SIMI are required to follow our code of ethics in their business practices and to maintain a high standard of customer service.
    Our aim is to assist in any dispute, which is within the scope of our consumer complaints service, between a consumer and a member.

Super106, can you confirm (via PM is preferable) if you actually represent the SIMI or if you're just a member, and in what capacity you're representing the SIMI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

-Chris- wrote: »
    Super106, can you confirm (via PM is preferable) if you actually represent the SIMI or if you're just a member, and in what capacity you're representing the SIMI?

Most of super's post is a direct copy from SIMI's website.

http://www.simi.ie/consumer_information/consumer_services.aspx

By passing it off as his own makes it plagiarism! But more likely he simply forgot to credit the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 123john123

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I visited them earlier this year when looking at a car. I made an offer below the asking price (not ridiculously below). They just weren't interested - wouldn't even take my details in case they wanted to contact me. They seemd to have a bad attitude.

2 months later, the same car is still up on carzone at the same price.

not in simi at all !! just from experience thats all,

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Has anyone had any experience with the Beacon Motor Group in Sandyford, Dublin?
    They seem to have some nice cars ( audi and bmw ) and their prices aren't too bad, but they are not a SIMI member, a lot of their cars have incomplete histories or expired NCTs, and their warranty only covers problems with the engine or transmission for 3 months (unlike most other dealers who seem to cover any fault for up to 6 months) It all seems a bit sketchy and I'm just wondering what they are hiding?...any thoughts?

OP, did you end up purchasing off these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Erm, it's quite obviously a quote from SIMI's website........ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

testicle wrote: »
    Erm, it's quite obviously a quote from SIMI's website........ :rolleyes:

A query from 7 months ago? Lightning quick reactions there Testicle... :rolleyes:

Add the fact that it was already addressed by Robbie99, and you'd wonder why you posted at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

A query from 7 months ago? Lightning quick reactions there Testicle... :rolleyes:

Add the fact that it was already addressed by Robbie99, and you'd wonder why you posted at all...

I like all my fellow bordsians read threads from top to bottom, i replied to your post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've always heard pretty good reports about these guys excluding the Lotus that they had for sale a while back. In relation to their prices I've heard mentioned a few times that their stock is usually keenly priced hence little wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

motorwatch wrote: »
    I visited this seller recently and I would steer well clear - I found glaring and several very serious flaws with car (albeit buffed over) that any enthusiast should be able to spot but that pleanty of inexperienced buyers would easily miss. When I raised my concerns (thinking I was doing them a good service) I received immediate and well practiced defensive behaviour (verging on the aggressive) and I was effectively kicked out without discussion. I would not trust this seller!

Good call motorwatch! The sales rep in the office was rude, defensive and, as per your experience, bordering on the aggressive. I asked if BMG were SIMI registered and he proceeded to bash the entire SIMI process. One somewhat memorable quote (bearing in mind this was several months ago) was "SIMI is all about putting in wheelchair ramps, and loads of other sh!t like that". I could not believe my ears! This goon did not know me from the next potential customer, and for him to openly make such a statement was hard to believe and was so unprofessional.

Regarding the quality of the cars there, I was specifically looking at a Honda Accord. It looked impressive on the web photos, but up close it did not stand up to scrutiny. There were clear signs of trying to hide the flaws with the bodywork. If I recall correctly, there was a crack on the rear bumper and it was like pulling teeth to get the rep to get a quote for its repair.

Ultimately, everything here suggested "run away" rather than "steer clear"! It is amazing that, especially during a recesion, this outfit behave in such an unprofessional and obnoxious manner, rather than doing their best to provide good customer service, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Seem to be a hit and miss crowd, I know two guys from other forums who have bought off them and had no trouble at all with them and didn't report aggresive behaviour from sales men.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If you like a car they have, why dont you get a vehicle inspection done on it or bring a mechanic with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aiswa1

Did you end up buying off the beacon motor group?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

aiswa1 wrote: »
    Did you end up buying off the beacon motor group?
    Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads. Start a new one if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement