Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The company I work for engages in racial profiling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tbh wrote: »
    if the Pakistani guy, or whoever, was an Irish citizen and had an Irish passport, would they still have to pay the deposit?
    If an American with an American passport wanted the service, would they have to pay the deposit?

The question really boils down to that. Are they "discriminating" based on the color of your skin, or the ability to produce documentation that shows their identity has been verified by the Irish state?

Good question. In my experience (I'm the original poster) it affects primarily those from the Indian Subcontinent.

In my time working there, I've had (amongst others) Canadian, British, Dutch, Swedish, French, South African and American citizens living in Ireland apply, using their national passports as ID, and they have not as a rule been subject to the same deposit criteria as customers from India or Pakistan.

I haven't been in the job that long in the big scheme of things, & I have not yet come across a case where a person who was born in India/Pakistan etc. but who actually holds an Irish passport requested the service, so I cant say whether they would pass the profiling or not in that circumstance. So without knowing that, and without knowledge of the scoring system used by our credit control company, All I CAN say is that holding an Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi passport seems to be a hindrance to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I've just re-read the posts in question, and I'm fairly sure that he means that when you quoted his post, you edited it, leaving out an important line, thereby adjusting the meaning :

The line above in bold is the part of their post which attributed the descriptions to the opening poster, You failed to include this when you quoted it in your earlier post, making it look like the description was theirs and not the OP's. You put words in 2 Fiver's mouth that they clearly had pointed out were someone else's.

This thread is about work problems, not a place for you to try and prove how clever you are when you feel you''re losing an imaginary argument. Could you stop bringing the thread off topic please?

I'm sorry i didnt realise you were a mod.

Also, the decsription was his not the OP's, if it was the OP he should quote what was said and not give an interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Hilarious to see that some of the people rushing to cry racism and discrimination have no compunction about automatically labelling an unemployed young Irish person from an inner city area as a "k*****r" or a "skanger".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

jonsnow wrote: »
    Hilarious to see that some of the people rushing to cry racism and discrimination have no compunction about automatically labelling an unemployed young Irish person as a "k*****r" or a "skanger".

My point exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Bren1609 and Bondvillan - don't let this little post war escalate and thus ruin the thread. Agree to disagree and walk away or be civil in the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Bren1609 and Bondvillan - don't let this little post war escalate and thus ruin the thread. Agree to disagree and walk away or be civil in the discussion.

I'm always civil. :D

Apologies if boundaries crossed.

Advertisement