Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I was driving along the road today and this happened......

• 24-07-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

So I was driving along the road today and this happened......072309145027.jpg

Another pic:
    072309145036.jpg
    So anyway, I was overtaking a car doing 60 in an 80 zone, and then the steering wheeel began to shake alot. So i pulled over thinking I had a puncture, but no, the tyre was pretty shredded and I was pretty much driving on the alloy:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Didn't happen to hit a pot hole by any chance? I Done the sidewals on my tire recently. but in your case, jesus thats a bad one. What was the road like before-during- after overtaking? That looks pretty bad indeed Thankfully your alive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    and then the steering wheeel began to shake alot. So i pulled over thinking I had a puncture,

You must have continued to drive for a long time after noticing the shake .

That tyre is really badly damaged .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Kinda looks like some one slashed your tyre or scraped it and when the car started rolling it just made it worse. Looks pretty bad. Youre lucky you didnt have an accident over it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Same thing happened me many years ago in a Punto while overtaking. Front tyre blew out and I lost all steering control...real brown trouser moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

That is very strange, was it deflated for an extender period of time at a previous stage?
    There seems to be a definite line of weekness the whole way around. No one could slash a tire that perfectly imho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Glad you didn't have a crash OP. That's a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

That is very strange, was it deflated for an extender period of time at a previous stage?

I'd go with something like that, looks like it deflated (maybe slowly as you were just driving prior to the shake) and then was riding on the rim of the wheel before you pulled over.

Is there a similar cut on the other side? Was this a back wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hey OP glad you managed to stop safely.

Do you or anyone else who drives the car have a tendency to scrape the sidewall of the tyre of the kerb of footpaths when parking? This can seriously weaken the sidewall of the tyre which can lead to the result in your pic above.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How old was the tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

He cut follows a white line arond the tyre. Normally these white lines appear when scraped off a kerb. Maybe a few too many scrapes wore down the tyre and it blew out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

You had a very lucky escape.

When i saw the pic i immediately thought of the race in grease where the guys had the spikes on their wheels and tried to take out grease lightning.
    (bad taste, i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

`What brand is the tyre? it is one I would avoid in future.

The mark around the tyre looks like to be caused from the rim while driving flat, but the tyre looks like it is still bonded to the rim.

Just curious as to the maker of the tyre ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

That just looks like a regular old blow out to me. There was probably damage to the tyre of sorts before this happened i.e a gash or bulge in the sidewall and that just happened to be the moment it picked to blow. Its very important to check tyre pressures once a week ( something myself included most people dont do ). If a tyre runs low on pressure it can get damaged easier and increases the chance of this happening. Also by checking pressures once a week if gives you a chance to inspect the condition of the tyres and alerts you to any potential problems i.e a slow puncture which in the end leads to this. Also if you get a puncture insist that the tyre is patched from the inside or atleast taken off the rim and the inside inspected for damage. Alot of places just plug the hole without inspecting the inner tyre sidewall and fill it back up with air and send you on your way. Again if there is damage to the inner sidewall it will have gone unnoticed and its highly likely something like this would happen. One things for sure , it had nothing to do with the brand of tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

@ congo 90- No I didnt hit a pot hole. The stretch of road I overtook on is very smoothed surfaced and does not have any bumps or anything, its pretty much flat.

@ allthedoyles- I drove for about a half kilometre after the steering going like that. I pulled into the first safe place I could find.

@ brandansmith- Nope, the tyre was never deflated. Never had a problem with it.

@ polyfusion- No the cut is just on the outer side of the wheel. Yes this was the back left wheel.

@ h3000- I've only hit the curb once and that was in January when I scraped the front right tyre. My mom might have hit the curb I'm not sure. You can see from the picture though, that there is very little scraping marks on the alloy. The rim off the alloy kind of sticks out a bit from the tyre so that would usually be the first thing you hear if you hit the curb.

@ Anan1- The tyre was at most, about 4 months old.

You were lucky it was on the back; you in the opposite corner of the car (and engine in the front) maybe kept it from being too noticible until it completly failed. Pressure may have been very low in that tyre, and heat is generated more in a tyre with low pressures; I'd say the wheel rim made the cut. A deflated tyre will crease over in roughly that location when the cut is.

Just feel lucky that it wasn't on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

polyfusion wrote: »
    You were lucky it was on the back

Just feel lucky that it wasn't on the front.

Actualy a blowout on the back is much more dangerous than the front because if the front blows its just trys to dig into the ground and plow on in a straight line. If a back one blows the back of the car trys to swing everywhere like a pendulum and goes into a wild oversteer. You have some chance of stopping a car with a front blow out but when a back one goes you're just a passenger waiting for it to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You must have continued to drive for a long time after noticing the shake .

That tyre is really badly damaged .
    Surely someone would have pointed it out to you. Would have thought that tyre was a bit soft to begin with before that happened. Very lucky i would think all things considered.

Got a new tyre today, free of charge considering I only got the one that blewout a few months ago:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Damn you got lucky man..

Glad to hear you didn't crash..

So you have had to replace two tyres in the space of four months. Are you putting too much air into your tyres i wonder. How much mileage do you do a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Looks like it was flat for some time before that happened, you wouldnt notice the pull of the steering wheel as much at higher speeds but at 60kph you definately would.

So you have had to replace two tyres in the space of four months. Are you putting too much air into your tyres i wonder. How much mileage do you do a week.

Well the origional tyre was just worn down and needed replacing. There must have been some fault in the tyre that blewout because we were given a new one for free. Nope, keep the air pressure between 28-30psi. Dont do alot of mileage. Car is mainly used for just driving around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Same thing happened to me a while back, guys in garage told me it was a majorly under-inflated tyre.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Actualy a blowout on the back is much more dangerous than the front because if the front blows its just trys to dig into the ground and plow on in a straight line. If a back one blows the back of the car trys to swing everywhere like a pendulum and goes into a wild oversteer. You have some chance of stopping a car with a front blow out but when a back one goes you're just a passenger waiting for it to end.

Not in my experience, but a lot could do with the speed when it happens. When it's happened to me, or been a passenger when it's happened, we weren't going fast, maybe 40mph maximum. But I can see what you describe above being more of a problem at higher speeds.

Yes that is very strange. Assume the roads in your town are fairly okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

had a similar blowout on the kilkenny to carlow road once. rear wheel drive, back left tire just...went. i reckon i was lucky because i was turning left at the time so more weight would have been on the right rear. car went everywhere but managed to get it stopped. its a terrifying experience. good to hear you're alright OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Out of curiosity, what should you do if this happens? Is it like being on ice and you steer into the motion or do you just try to keep the car going in as straight a line as possible and pull in when safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Same happened to me too a few weeks ago, only in a 4X4 with a trailer on the M7 just before Newlands Cross. Heard a loud bang and managed to pull in off the motorway at Clondalkin. Was weaving all over before i stopped, very scary stuff indeed.
    When i got the tyre off the jeep (rear passenger side), there was a hole the size of your little finger on the top of the tyre, probably a lump of steel or something. Tyre was finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what should you do if this happens? Is it like being on ice and you steer into the motion or do you just try to keep the car going in as straight a line as possible and pull in when safe?

yes steer 'into' the skid but when the vehicle corrects itself it may over steer more so than on ice.use the gears for braking

I done some hot rod racing in my mispent youth I still believe to this day the skills I learned in this, helped me avoid hitting a pedestrian during a blow out many years later.

IMHO learner drivers should get some tuition of what to do in such circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Had a similar problem a few yrs back in 06 had a brand new golf was driving along bang hit a pot hole got out to change the flat, took off the wheel and half of it was still hanging on the brake pad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

lucky boy!! At least you avoided a crash!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Had a similar problem a few yrs back in 06 had a brand new golf was driving along bang hit a pot hole got out to change the flat, took off the wheel and half of it was still hanging on the brake pad.

Was that a cheap alloy?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

33 posts into this thread and nobody has suggested that it was because it was a Renault! :eek:

Glad you are still in one piece xFROSTY!

yop wrote: »
    Was that a cheap alloy?

I think they were €450 each when I bought them with out tyres cant remember the name of the company but I know they were made in Germany. The alloy was sent back to them and there was found to be a fault in it place where I bought it gave me a €500.00 voucher a sat nav and a full new set of upgraded alloys and tyres, but I never but em on it just put the stock ones back on

kbannon wrote: »
    33 posts into this thread and nobody has suggested that it was because it was a Renault! :eek:

Glad you are still in one piece xFROSTY!

Renault dont make tyres or the pot holes in the Irish roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doesnt really make a difference on here.

But if they did, they'd probably be the best in the world :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

What i cant figure out is how the tyre bead is still seated on the rim after a half kilometre of driving on it flat:confused: Its a strange one.Lucky you didnt crash OP..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have to say that it's obvious that the tyre was being driven for a reasonable period of time without any tyre pressure at all. I'd have to say more than 500m.
    If you looked at the road behind you would have seen two parallel lines from where the tyre side-walls were contacting the road surface.
    The white mark the full way around the tyre is indicitive of the tyre cords overheating through friction and contact with the road surface, failing in the manner you see.

I've done the same on a rear tyre - I travelled 2 miles down the M50 on a flat on the rear without knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Well the origional tyre was just worn down and needed replacing. There must have been some fault in the tyre that blewout because we were given a new one for free. Nope, keep the air pressure between 28-30psi. Dont do alot of mileage. Car is mainly used for just driving around town.

That looks like a megane wheel if so i think you will find the pressure for that tyre is more than 30.
    also the damage is pure runflat damage. it is only a 55 series profile and will take very little runflat abuse.
    i think it was punctured pror to your overtaking you then noticed it and had to drive even further to stop. hence the mess you see.
    The fact that you got a tyre for free is not an admission of any fault but may have been a goodwill gesture from your tyre retailer. it seems like they see you often.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

alo1587 wrote: »
    What i cant figure out is how the tyre bead is still seated on the rim after a half kilometre of driving on it flat:confused: Its a strange one.Lucky you didnt crash OP..

I had a blowout which I mistook for a mis-seated load in my van and a poor road surface; and probably drove three or four km at ~90km/h on it. The bead was still on the rim there but there wasn't much the sidewall holding the carcass on to it! :eek:

rim wasn't damaged at all either, amazingly.

Advertisement