Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google/youtube/etc not loading.

Options
  • 24-07-2009 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

So here is the situation.
    recently got UPC 20mb installed. Works fine, speed is good etc.
    However website loading is not up to standard. Google is VERY temperamental as is youtube/forums.
    Firefox can't find the server at www.boards.ie.
    * Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

The sites that work are fine and download speeds good. I still have eircom installed so i checked the sites that will not load with UPC on eircom and they worked, as expected.

I have used Wired and Wireless connections but both have the same problems. And i tried on Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any idea what causes the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Seems to be UPC alright as I can get google on my iphone over 3G but not on wireless through my broadband !

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

just have this issue now.

my mate who has NTL couldnt even get online yesterday.

whats going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Long shot but could it be related to the recent "hacking" incident with Eircom?
    There were a thread on this a while back. I'm shure someone more experienced than I will post a link to it.
    Might be worth changing over to an Open-DNS. Worked for me.
    This is what I was told to do & I've suffered no ill-efects.

If you want to change from eircom DNS to OpenDNS, open your router interface by typing 192.168.1.254 into your web browser, click on Expert mode, then Configure. Scroll down to Primary and Secondary DNS servers.
    They should say-
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.235 (could be a six)
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.195 (could be a six)
    Change these IP addresses to the following OpenDNS settings-
    primary dns: 208.67.222.222
    secondary dns: 208.67.220.220
    Save and Restart.

would it be the same for NTL? 192.168.1.2 and so forth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭nVid

Im just hacking a few bank accounts, will return service back to google shortly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I'm also on UPC here in Naas and am having trouble with Googles services, only started happening for me inn the last hour or so.

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

mjsmyth wrote: »
    I'm also on UPC here in Naas and am having trouble with Googles services, only started happening for me inn the last hour or so.

mj

Same in north Dublin city for me

No access to google, gmail or youtube

alot of imaging hosting sites are down.

anther hack like with Eircom?

Maybe this is the internets way of telling me to go to sleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

yep all google websites gone on my upc connection also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Maybe this is the internets way of telling me to go to sleep!!!

Good call... some internerds will sort it by the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

192.168.100.1 for upc i think. dont know if they let users log in though, if so i dont know what the user and pass are.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

Google, Gmail and Youtube down here also - for UPC.
    My vodafone live won't connect to them either for some reason, so not sure if its just UPC or if its more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Back for me

speedy21 wrote: »
    Google, Gmail and Youtube down here also - for UPC.
    My vodafone live won't connect to them either for some reason, so not sure if its just UPC or if its more widespread.

Im using Eircom atm and i have no problems with any sites. Only on UPC

All google sites back for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Same here in Lmk too, intermittent connection to the major sites, could be all sites and just seems like the major ones cause thats what we're all using right regularly.

All ok again now but pings to www.google.com or one of its IP's was returning host unreachable at the time. Cant remember now what the trace routes were showing but def looks like its on the UPC side of this. Tested on wired / wifi and all these diff comps and regions its very clear its from the network.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow and see whats happening. :)

hightower1 wrote: »
    Same here in Lmk too, intermittent connection to the major sites, could be all sites and just seems like the major ones cause thats what we're all using right regularly.

All ok again now but pings to www.google.com or one of its IP's was returning host unreachable at the time. Cant remember now what the trace routes were showing but def looks like its on the UPC side of this. Tested on wired / wifi and all these diff comps and regions its very clear its from the network.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow and see whats happening. :)

Yes, i am going to ring them aswell. Make sure that they acknowledge the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

back again! at last something to do while baby is awake.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Happening to me as well and I'm in work using fibre connection.

• Advertisement

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Yes, i am going to ring them aswell. Make sure that they acknowledge the problem.

Ah sure why wouldnt they? If there is ever an area problem around here they say so straight away and most times their answer service has the note up before I'd even have to ask anyone! lol.

I doubt its anything like Eircom's problem last week, it'd be dense of a hacker to attack an isp in such a small country again so quickly after. It'd be like robbing a shop in town then a week later hitting the one next door...and its a small street of a country we have here lol.

I'm sure its just some routing fault. Ran a LONG ping test there to google and seems like every so often the MS's triple. Will leave them know anyways.
    They prob just wanted to give us insomniacs something to do thats above board lol (excuse the pun):D

I'm sure its just some routing fault. Ran a LONG ping test there to google and seems like every so often the MS's triple. Will leave them know anyways.

Let us know what they have to say on the matter if you can.
    They prob just wanted to give us insomniacs something to do thats above board lol (excuse the pun):D

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

anyone having issues with getting to play.com?

It was working fine today. But in the last 10 minutes im starting to have problems again with google etc. How irritating

Contacted them today ref this and their looking into it now, they will call me back to keep me updated and will post any update here too.

I did mention that there are a few people here with the same issue and the guy I was speaking with checked out the thread so nice to see they are pretty human about it and will think outside the box to some degree.

Will update as soon as I hear back.

Im getting this error alot tonight on UPC connection. Plus the non loading of Google pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I currently can't access www.play.com and www.ebay.ie or .com

Unlike on previous recent occasions where I couldn't access ebay, when I ping ebay, I eventually receive the error that it can't resolve the name.

However, google and other websites' names are being resolved properly and speedily.

I'm with perlico, so I'm on the same shared internet infrastructure as Vodafone customers. BT customers in the next while aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can't access facebook,twitter etc.On vodafone.Can't access play.com either as above.Google sites work though.

Advertisement