Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To the 3 fellas that stole my top hat tonight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

Some people can be assholes when drunk, some can be assholes sober.
    I feel sorry for the OP as I would anyone who got something stolen from them compounded by the fact that it has such sentimentel value.

But If I'm being honest I'd have to say a part of me thinks some people let themselves be more vunerable than others.

This is a perfect case, sure If I saw you wearing the Hat out I would never cross the line and take it from you much as I wouldn't want to rob anything off anyone, but that said I'd still think you'd be an attention seeking individual with issues and unfortunately some D*cks act on this excessively.

I Hope it's returned to you, and if it is hopefully you'll just leave it at home next time if its that important to you

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Here she is

lol

Sad to hear about the theft of an item with personal attachment but this thread is hilarious, especially the reply about the rabbit being left on his head when the hat was taken.

The pic made me snot with laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

@OP: 50% chance these were nice guys who were acting out of character due to drink. If you make a broad appeal you may very well get it back. Most likely some guy woke up and had no idea where he got the hat...**** chances are the new owner is not even the guy who took it off your head (you know how props get passed around). I'd put out feelers all over the place. Dublin is small...if you really want it back I think it can be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

scop wrote: »
    @OP: 50% chance these were nice guys who were acting out of character due to drink.

Nah theft makes you a criminal regardless of whether or not you're drunk, They're scumbags.

Just to have a Citizen moment the wnakers should have been tracked down and given lovely "bruise hats" to wear on their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

waxer1986 wrote: »
    some ppl are responsible true there actions in the months before they die

looks like Ted Bundys been released ,
    or is it some crazy back, sack, and cracker

sorry to hear about the hat , but this citys no place to wear easily nickable stuff .
    hope you get it back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

orestes wrote: »
    Mods normally don't get banned because they understand how this site works, but if they deserve it they definitely do.

Where can I sign up for training on 'how this site works' please?
    I know the poster of the above quote is now banned but can anyone else enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

OP maybe it would be a good idea to hop on your bike and have a look around town, you may find it discarded somewhere, the scum would have lost interest in it as soon as you stopped chasing them.
    http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/images/Norrtalje.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Dfens wrote: »
    I know the poster of the above quote is now banned but can anyone else enlighten me?
    Read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've got a few hats that I think look terrific on me, and I often wear them out without getting any hassle off people. The only time anyone has tried to grab my hat was some skanks out on a hen night, which was an isolated incident, otherwise I've been wearing a hat about without bother. From my experience I think anyone should be fine wearing a hat without fear of it being nicked on them, and I'm quite surprised at all the scumbag apologists in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dfens wrote: »

www.boards.ie/faq

Personal abuse of another poster is not tolerated.

Blitz has worn that hat out in in Dublin many, many times, I can only recall twice over the last 4 years of many events and beers of seeing him with out it.

Wearing a hat is not that unsual and it is never an excuse to steal one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The only time anyone has tried to grab my hat was some skanks out on a hen night,

Am I the only one who finds this shit really annoying? Jesus, give it a rest you cackling hags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Blitz: sorry to hear about the hat. was a pretty cool hat alright and it definitely got attention :)

to those that say he shouldnt wear it: why not? ffs its his personal property, he has every right to wear it and people should have enough respect to leave him to it whatever they may think.

On the whole "expect scumbags" thing. yes we should expect scumbags but I think thats more of a sad reflection on our society than it is on the individual. I had an ipod stolen from my desk in work while I was away doing a support call. I've had hassle over a phone while viewing text messages on the luas ("'ere bud, giz a look. fookin gimme ih' ye bollix"). I spend 3 hours commuting each day and I'd love to use a netbook for the journey but it wouldnt be worth the hassle. i've had a book torn up and stuffed into my pint when I was relaxing in a pub in celbridge after a long day followed by threats of "say anything and we'll get you outside" (i told the barman who called the guards - its good to know the local publicans , unfortunately, the same gits saw me there a week later and started trying to cause trouble ruining a good night out with a few friends.).

I remember seeing the Portuguese motorway system with the automatic ticketing and unattended pay booths and thinking, "this would be cool for ireland" followed swiftly by "actually it wouldnt work. it'd be vandalised within a week and the unattended pay machines would be dug up and carted off by a stolen JCB".

To those of you saying he deserved it because he should have known he looked different.. does this make it OK to beat someone for beign a different sexuality or religion? Does this make it right to burn out the only mercedes in the neighbourhood? Or egg the only freshly painted house? How about salting a persons rosebushes that he spent fifteen years cultivating and only served to brighten up the area?

That he "should have known better" isnt a good argument. That he should have to "know" at all is the sad and worrying thing.

anyhoo, as i said, sorry to hear about the hat Blitz. I really do hope you get it back.

Am I the only one who finds this shit really annoying? Jesus, give it a rest you cackling hags.

No, you're not the only one. Hen nights are the most horrid, vile, filthy collection of scumbags you'll find. It's a case of "You're getting married, you're losing your single life and your freedom, lets express this freedom by being the the biggest god damn assholes we can and piss off as many people as we can and ruin everyone's night." Scum.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

That's a really horrible thing to have happen. People cherish the items that remind them of their loved ones. To suggest someone should grieve for the loved one rather than the item does not realise that the item is in itself a part of the grieving process.

The guys involved are no doubt completely oblivious to the effect their actions have caused.

Getting this hat back is the priority now.

Boards.ie is a huge community - Everyone should ask around their mates - get their mates to mention it to their mates - put the word out that this hat has very valuable sentimental value to Blitz.

I'm putting up a personal reward of a €100 voucher for Gamesnash for anyone whos actions or information leads to the finding of or return of the hat.

And no this isn't a publicity stunt for any cynics among you. I want this hat found and returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeTache

MeEt mE aT tHe SpIrE @ 2pm

BrInG ThE goGGleS, WhIcH I DeManD FoR tHE SaFE rEtUrN Of Mr. HaT.

The Goggles are way cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thats terrible Blitzy. I am sorry for your loss. I didn't know that your hat also has a lot of sentimental value attached. I really hope it shows up again.
    This is what annoys me so much abou this country. If anyone dares show that they like to wear anything other than tracksuits, they get penalised for it. What annoys me even more is that hats can be grabbed so easily from heads so it deters many people from wearing them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's worth a go asking around the clubs and the taxi rank on o'connell street, it's a pretty memorable item, someone might know something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

LoLth wrote: »
    Blitz: sorry to hear about the hat. was a pretty cool hat alright and it definitely got attention :)

to those that say he shouldnt wear it: why not? ffs its his personal property, he has every right to wear it and people should have enough respect to leave him to it whatever they may think.

On the whole "expect scumbags" thing. yes we should expect scumbags but I think thats more of a sad reflection on our society than it is on the individual. I had an ipod stolen from my desk in work while I was away doing a support call. I've had hassle over a phone while viewing text messages on the luas ("'ere bud, giz a look. fookin gimme ih' ye bollix"). I spend 3 hours commuting each day and I'd love to use a netbook for the journey but it wouldnt be worth the hassle. i've had a book torn up and stuffed into my pint when I was relaxing in a pub in celbridge after a long day followed by threats of "say anything and we'll get you outside" (i told the barman who called the guards - its good to know the local publicans , unfortunately, the same gits saw me there a week later and started trying to cause trouble ruining a good night out with a few friends.).

I remember seeing the Portuguese motorway system with the automatic ticketing and unattended pay booths and thinking, "this would be cool for ireland" followed swiftly by "actually it wouldnt work. it'd be vandalised within a week and the unattended pay machines would be dug up and carted off by a stolen JCB".

To those of you saying he deserved it because he should have known he looked different.. does this make it OK to beat someone for beign a different sexuality or religion? Does this make it right to burn out the only mercedes in the neighbourhood? Or egg the only freshly painted house? How about salting a persons rosebushes that he spent fifteen years cultivating and only served to brighten up the area?

That he "should have known better" isnt a good argument. That he should have to "know" at all is the sad and worrying thing.

anyhoo, as i said, sorry to hear about the hat Blitz. I really do hope you get it back.

You don't agree that while this outcome is unfortunate, it's not altogether unlikely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It is terrible and I have also lost something with lots of sentimental value in a similar fashion and it hurts. Hope you can get it back.

I've had 2 baseball caps and a tie nicked off my person during nights out in Dublin......... so I just don't wear caps out anymore. Simple as. Hats are a prime target. Annoying that someone couldn't just leave them be.. but there you go obviously not.

Draupnir wrote: »
    it's not altogether unlikely?

As someone who often wears a hat, I do think it is unlikely. I've only ever had someone try to grab a hat off me once, and I thought that was exceptional circumstances. I've been mugged at knife-point once also many years ago, so it's about that likely. The fact people are making excuses for it to happen, and even making it out to be the fault of the person wearing the hat, strikes me as absolutely terrible.

• Advertisement

Heh. Wouldn't it be great if your head was shaped like a hat and someone tried to take it only they couldn't? lol!!!!. It wouldn't work for me though, I have been told my head is shaped like a toaster. :(

A chinstrap may also help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I am tempted to start a thread in the Facial Hair and Hats forum in a similar tone to the 'There's a rapist on the loose' threads you get in the Ladies Lounge..

There are hat thieves at large in our city... be extra careful out there people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeTache

FaIlUre tO coMplY wiTh tHe DeAdlIne iS nOt hElpinG yOur LiTtLe FrIeNd. aS yOu cAn sEe, hE hAs beEn ROugheD uP a BiT, aS a WaRnIng.

I WilL ExTenD thE DeAdlinE to 2.30, AfTer ThaT, ThE BrIm Gets iT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

After Hours, the home of paedophilic innuendos and safe-haven of snyper, screams "NO HAT JOKES!".

Shit, only just remembered that I too was in a club once when my own hat was stolen from me. It didn't have such a strong sentimental value attached to it, but it was a nice hat regardless.

I miss that hat. :( Godspeed Blitzkrieg.

I'm putting up a personal reward of a €100 voucher for Gamesnash for anyone whos actions or information leads to the finding of or return of the hat.

Hats off to you, sir.

As someone who often wears a hat, I do think it is unlikely. I've only ever had someone try to grab a hat off me once, and I thought that was exceptional circumstances. I've been mugged at knife-point once also many years ago, so it's about that likely. The fact people are making excuses for it to happen, and even making it out to be the fault of the person wearing the hat, strikes me as absolutely terrible.

I'm not making any excuses for it, simply saying that this is not an unusual occurrence in a city at night time when drunken people will be around thinking they are comedic geniuses. You are being very naive if this is something that seems wildly implausible.

Second of all, if the OP had such serious love for said item then he should have been a LOT more careful with it. It's as simple as that.

Sh'it happens, sometimes you can't do anything about it and sometimes you can. This is one of the times when the person involved could have helped themselves.r

I am tempted to start a thread in the Facial Hair and Hats forum in a similar tone to the 'There's a rapist on the loose' threads you get in the Ladies Lounge..

There are hat thieves at large in our city... be extra careful out there people!

A notorious hat thief has been released from prison and has been seen lurking on the escalators near the hat shop in St Stephens Green Shopping Centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Getting this hat back is the priority now.

Oh sweet jesus.

Give bono a ring,he may have a word about it at his concert in croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

WindSock wrote: »
    Heh. Wouldn't it be great if your head was shaped like a hat and someone tried to take it only they couldn't? lol!!!!. It wouldn't work for me though, I have been told my head is shaped like a toaster. :(

Has anyone ever tried inserting bread into your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

OK read that there - and while i dont condone robging adn stealing other peoples items. Also i fully endorse people's individuality and expression to wear what they want.

but its an awful looking thing probably done you a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I really don't like hats, think they're a bit stupid and I feel they're often worn by people simply for the sake of standing out.

That doesn't mean I'm going to post here saying that he should have expected the hat to be stolen. It's a really crap thing to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Draupnir wrote: »
    You don't agree that while this outcome is unfortunate, it's not altogether unlikely?

and would you not agree that the fact that the outcome is not altogether unlikely is unfortunate?

I could accept the argument that "you deserve what you get for wearing it" if the issue was about someone walking through harlem dressed up as a Klansman. I cannot accept it as a fair point for wearing a hat that could only cause offense if worn to a convention for cocklaphobes. wasnt that argument once put forward for women in short skirts? I dont think it was met with much popularity then either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I found it!

hatlar.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

Oh come on, I think that's a little bit overly dramatic.

Of course not, but I could spend all day making a list of bad things that have nothing to do with this incident too.

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh sweet jesus.

Give bono a ring,he may have a word about it at his concert in croke park.

Never know, could've been robbed to order by the Edge. Needs a big hat to be seen in Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

tuxy wrote: »
    Did your Dad also get you the goggles?
    Are they any use with out the hat?

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/yupko/ze-goggles-zey-do-nothing.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

LeTache wrote: »
    FaIlUre tO coMplY wiTh tHe DeAdlIne iS nOt hElpinG yOur LiTtLe FrIeNd. aS yOu cAn sEe, hE hAs beEn ROugheD uP a BiT, aS a WaRnIng.

I WilL ExTenD thE DeAdlinE to 2.30, AfTer ThaT, ThE BrIm Gets iT.

Dont over react HatNapper, he has a time machine and may still make it for 2pm even though its 2:16pm now, actually he,s probably gone back to lastnight and grabbed it from his own head before you got there. :pac::pac:

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I really don't like hats, think they're a bit stupid and I feel they're often worn by people simply for the sake of standing out.

People do wear them for practical reasons you know? Keeping your head warm, protecting you from the sun and the rain...

• Advertisement

and would you not agree that the fact that the outcome is not altogether unlikely is unfortunate?

I could accept the argument that "you deserve what you get for wearing it" if the issue was about someone walking through harlem dressed up as a Klansman. I cannot accept it as a fair point for wearing a hat that could only cause offense if worn to a convention for cocklaphobes. wasnt that argument once put forward for women in short skirts? I dont think it was met with much popularity then either.

Of course I think it's unfortunate, I genuinely think it's terrible to lose something as dear to you as this hat obviously was to the chap.

I don't agree with your second point as you have misquoted everyone in the thread who is putting forward the opposite argument, nobody said he deserved what he got, just that he shouldn't have been surprised given the state of Irish society these days, which you have agreed with. Are we done now since you agreed with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    That hat was unique and special. I dont care about the goggles or anything just the hat itself, a brown high topper with no inner lining. A 21st birthday gift from a father to his son. ANd you grab it and run. And when I catch up and shout that it was a gift from my father you still run.
    Hindsight is a b|tch, but get a lancer. Saved my hat a few times, from the wind and not.

=-=

If someone nicked my hat, I'd chase them. I've found I can run like hell if I have to, and have tripped my prey easily.

=-=

It kept my head cool during Hellfest, and keeps my head warm during the summer. For the winter I have a 1 & 3 hole balaclava, depending on how cold it is.

WindSock wrote: »

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/hair_hat.jpg

People do wear them for practical reasons you know? Keeping your head warm, protecting you from the sun and the rain...

...to cover up bald patches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why not? because people DO NOT have enough respect to leave him to it, it is a simple fact, you don't have to like it but thats the way it is, nobody is saying they are happy about it. People understand the sentamental value and do not like the news of him losing it, they understood the big risk he was taking by wearing it out, he also did seem to, "once bitten twice shy", he was bitten several times and never got "shy".
    Did anybody actually say he deserved it? Or that it was OK? I have not seen anybody say that :confused:
    People are saying it is EXPECTED, the OP knew that himself it was robbed several times before.

If the OP had come on and said "I have this top hat which means a lot to me, do you think it would be advisable to wear it out on a thursday night in town?"
    I think most would have said it was unadvisable due to the risk of theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ostensibly, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The thieves would want to be beret careful alright.

rubadub wrote: »
    If the OP had come on and said "I have this top hat which means a lot to me, do you think it would be advisable to wear it out on a thursday night in town?"
    I think most would have said it was unadvisable due to the risk of theft.

Exactly, if a friend of mine said he was going to be wearing that, or something like it the first thing I'd say is 'how many nights do you think it will last?'

Sleipnir wrote: »
    The thieves would want to be beret careful alright.

Yeah, they are lucky he didn't call the fez on them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement