Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To the 3 fellas that stole my top hat tonight

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Draupnir wrote: »
    I'd imagine this thread would have gone down a completely different route altogether had the victim of this crime not being a long term member known personally to so many of the replying posters.

I hear ya homeslice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

WindSock wrote: »
    My post was saying I was unhappy at the fact that it is so hard to express individuality here in this country. I am sure if you ask a lot of stylish fordiners who have been here, they would agree.
    I had a lovely feathered bowler hat that I got in NZ. Never any hassle wearing it. Until I came home.
    However, I would much rather wear what I like and take hassle any day of the week than do my clothes shopping in Champion Sports, just so I can blend in with the rest of the plebs.

This is brilliant.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Degsy wrote: »
    Sorry..was it a hat that got nicked?

Its just the way you're going on i thought they'd murdered him and desecrated his corpse in the morgue.

In a million years i wouldnt wear a hat like that in mcdonalds in o'connell st if i valued it.
    Of all the places to make a "wacky" statement about your individuality that was mosrt assuredly not it.
    Why?hasnt he the right to dress as he pleases?
    Yes,in a perfect world but dressing like that in that particular bucket of blood was not a good idea,he was lucky not to get a beating too.
    There are scum everywhere just looking for trouble,my advice is not to make yourself an easy target...some people wouldve regarded that hat as an affront to thier "machismo".

No it wasn't a hat that got nicked.

The wisdom of wearing the hat in the first place is a seperate issue. And my personal opinion is that it wasn't the wisest of moves but the fact is that something incredibly sentimental has been stolen. I can understand those who have the opinion that it shouldn't have been worn in the first place ( regardless of what should or should not be accaptable in a society ) but what I can't understand at all is the lack of sympathy some people seem to have for the situation.

Remove the hat and where it was from the situation. We have someone who has had something very precious to them stolen and it is causing them a lot of emotional distress. We should help them. That's the way I see it at the moment.

scop wrote: »
    @OP: 50% chance these were nice guys who were acting out of character due to drink. If you make a broad appeal you may very well get it back. Most likely some guy woke up and had no idea where he got the hat...**** chances are the new owner is not even the guy who took it off your head (you know how props get passed around). I'd put out feelers all over the place. Dublin is small...if you really want it back I think it can be done!

Its much more likely to wash up on Dollymount strand or in a skip off Abbey st. or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

plissken wrote: »
    Again with the mass generalizations :D

Generalising is better than Americanizing. :pac:

It is in my view that many unimaginative and also scumbagish Irish people do their everyday (not for the purpose in which they are intended) clothes shopping in Champion Sports.
    Yes, I judge people by what they wear. Don't say that you don't. What exactly do you think of a woman out wearing her pyjamas, for instance?

prinz wrote: »
    The 'plebs' are wearing what they like and you're hassling them....:confused:

How am I hassling them? Do I go up to them and make physical altercations with them? Give them unwanted attention? Do you even know what a pleb is?

I am merely looking down my snobbish nose at tracksuits. Hardly the same as stealing a hat that was given to them by a loved one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeTache

If the OP was looking for comfort and advice then he should have known what to expect in AH, PI would have been a lot more accommodating tbh. I'm not spouting the usual anything goes in AH attitude, anyone could have predicted the way this thread has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

How am I hassling them? Do I go up to them and make physical altercations with them? Do you even know what a pleb is?

By referring to people as scumbags and plebs based on their style of clothing. You're not so individual. I've seen plenty of bowler hats and other items of clothing about the place. "How rebellious!.... in a conformist sort of way" - Lisa Simpson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

lmao i think i know who this was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

I'd imagine this thread would have gone down a completely different route altogether had the victim of this crime not being a long term member known personally to so many of the replying posters.
    Most definitely. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Great, a hat. Move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

Not when your American :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It is in my view that many unimaginative and also scumbagish Irish people do their everyday (not for the purpose in which they are intended) clothes shopping in Champion Sports.
    Yes, I judge people by what they wear. Don't say that you don't. What exactly do you think of a woman out wearing her pyjamas, for instance?

Exactly my point, you made a post proclaiming your disgust at not being able to wear what you like for fear of being judged and ridiculed yet you make statements such as the above, tarring all people who wear tracksuits as scumbags, you obviously have no understanding of the word irony so I have attached a link that may help you. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gullible

prinz wrote: »
    By referring to people as scumbags and plebs based on their style of clothing. You're not so individual. I've seen plenty of bowler hats and other items of clothing about the place. "How rebellious!.... in a conformist sort of way" - Lisa Simpson.

No, I said scumbags wear tracksuits.

Plebs wear tracksuits, - look up pleb

Does not mean all people who wear tracksuits are scumbags. Or plebs.

I don't wear clothes to try to look different. That is sad in it's own way. I wear clothes because I like them, and I am not afraid to get hassle for wearing what I like. And I don't dress particularly outlandish, not that theres anything wrong with it. No one has my bowler hat either. I got it way before they were back in fashion anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Didn't get a chance to read all the replies, but I've seen the hat live - and it's a pretty damn impressive hat.

For those saying why would you wear something which meant a lot to you - why not? people wear rings, bracelets, watches that were gifts - which is the whole point of someone giving you something personal.

I don't wear clothes to try to look different. That is sad in it's own way. I wear clothes because I like them, and I am not afraid to get hassle for wearing what I like. And I don't dress particularly outlandish, not that theres anything wrong with it. No one has my bowler hat either. I got it way before they were back in fashion anyway :P

I do believe your Hat may a few sizes too small for your head as its obviously cutting off the circulation to your cerebral cortex, why can you not understand that some people like to wear tracksuits for no other reason than they like them, why do you continue to call said people plebs and scumbags, I'm agasp at how you dont get the senseless irony inherint in each of your posts.

Not when your American :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, I didn't know you were. Lets ad a few extra retarded :rolleyes: for good measure, eh?

Exactly my point, you made a post proclaiming your disgust at not being able to wear what you like for fear of being judged and ridiculed yet you make statements such as the above, tarring all people who wear tracksuits as scumbags, you obviously have no understanding of the word irony so I have attached a link that may help you. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gullible

I don't care about being judged for what I wear. I don't hassle people for what they wear either.
    Have you never judged people on their clothes? Their outward projection of themselves? Have you not?

Tracksuits, pyjamas, uggboots. All tell me something about the person. Do I give them sh1t for it? No. I don't give a fk what people wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Contrary to popular opinion, the use of a z instead of an s in words with a -ise/ize suffix is not an Americanism, but rather a form which is acceptable in both dialects. In fact, -ise comes from -ize, not the other way round, and this is unacceptable in American English.

I do believe your Hat may a few sizes too small for your head as its obviously cutting off the circulation to your cerebral cortex, why can you not understand that some people like to wear tracksuits for no other reason than they like them, why do you continue to call said people plebs and scumbags, I'm agasp at how you dont get the senseless irony inherint in each of your posts.

Wow, you really are missing the parts in my posts where I call people names for wearing clothes. Come back to me when you have read my posts. Thnx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd imagine this thread would have gone down a completely different route altogether had the victim of this crime not been a long term member known personally to so many of the replying posters.

And?

That is pretty obvious

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Contrary to popular opinion, the use of a z instead of an s in words with a -ise/ize suffix is not an Americanism, but rather a form which is acceptable in both dialects. In fact, -ise comes from -ize, not the other way round, and this is unacceptable in American English.

Oh right. I must revize my ideas then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

How am I hassling them? Do I go up to them and make physical altercations with them? Give them unwanted attention? Do you even know what a pleb is?

I am merely looking down my snobbish nose at tracksuits. Hardly the same as stealing a hat that was given to them by a loved one.
    I'm with you Windsock. You are entitled to your opinion, and keeping it to yourself is fine. People here obviously think the same thing about this hat. That also is fine.
    A**holes thinking they can steal it are not fine.
    The people who think that its the OP's fault, I'm rather concerned with !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Sir Molle wrote: »

Ya do? Well feel free to tell, in spite of anything else I've said in the thread, it would give me a nice Friday feeling to think the chap will get the hat back

And?

That is pretty obvious

So does that mean that every comment on Boards by these people is markedly different based on the username posting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

i hope to god your not talking through your hat!!!!!
    please return the hat to this man... 274 (now 275) posts is ridiculous!!

ridiculous for the fact that only a hand full of people have offered any worthwhile advise or offered help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Why can't one hold both positions here? I don't see why belief in one exludes the other.

1. People who drunkenly bully and assault a stranger and steal their property are scum.

2. People who use whacky outfits to express their individuality are sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

RandomIrl wrote: »
    i hope to god your not talking through your hat!!!!!
    please return the hat to this man... 274 (now 275) posts is ridiculous!!

ridiculous for the fact that only a hand full of people have offered any worthwhile advise or offered help.

I've been in touch with the OP via pms. I'm not sure if it is the hat, but I've notified my mate(who acquired a top hat from some girl) about this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

EDIT: never mind

Oh, I didn't know you were. Lets ad a few extra retarded :rolleyes: for good measure, eh?.
    all Americans are retards, Oh how inteligent of you to have formulated such a scathing, witty critic of an entire nation :rolleyes:

Wow, you really are missing the parts in my posts where I call people names for wearing clothes. Come back to me when you have read my posts. Thnx.
    How mature of you:rolleyes:

Do you still not see the irony of your posts? I'm sorry but I couldnt be bothered to try and come down to your level to explain it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

all Americans are retards, Oh how inteligent of you to have formulated such a scathing, witty critic of an entire nation :rolleyes:

Do you still not see the irony of your posts? I'm sorry but I couldnt be bothered to try and come down to your level to explain it to you.

I'M sorry but this relates to the OP how?

to the OP i hope you get some lead on getting your hat back. It has sentimental value for you and is important to you, no drunken fools should be able to take that away from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Bad luck on loosing the hat but I'm with the 'If it was that precious (non-replaceable) you shouldn't of wore it out' brigade.

• Advertisement

Where did I say that? I really think you have a lot of trouble understanding and reading my posts. You are on the defensive. I think having a discussion with you on the internet is about as useful as using an :rolleyes: (retarded smiley) in every retort.

Oh right. Selective posting, is it? I see how you so gracefully left out the next bit there...

You don't need to really when you're way off the mark anyway.

So does that mean that every comment on Boards by these people is markedly different based on the username posting it?

In short yes.

In short yes.

In long?

I've been in touch with the OP via pms. I'm not sure if it is the hat, but I've notified my mate(who acquired a top hat from some girl) about this thread.

Sure i solved the mystery ages ago.
    It wasnt just some girl, it was this girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sure i solved the mystery ages ago.
    It wasnt just some girl, it was this girl

Yeah we saw that the first time you posted it.

In long?

It is hard not to be unbiased toward posters on this forum when you have met them in real life, and/or if they are a long time established poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

In long?

Yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Yeah we saw that the first time you posted it.

Just for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I haven't checked on the thread for about an hour... what's the latest on 'hatgate'?

Just for you!

"Rodney, you plonker"

• Advertisement

I haven't checked on the thread for about an hour... what's the latest on 'hatgate'?

We're thinking of putting a pic of the missing hat on milk cartons, like they do with missing kids in America

Fingers crossed x x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This story is big... Maddie big!

I actually had the Herald on to me about something else earlier this afternoon... I should have told them this was a story with legs.

Let me sum it up for you in the form of a limerick:

A cat
    Got his hat
    stole by some prat
    But the Boards proletariat
    Don't care that
    This has caused the OP some considerable pain and anguish.

Hmm, I kind of lost it on the last line.

I actually had the Herald on to me about something else earlier this afternoon... I should have told them this was a story with legs.

Were they turning you down for your job application to sell their papers at the lights?

Ah Ah. Can we call it the Maddie Hattie story?

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Let me sum it up for you in the form of a limerick:

A cat
    Got his hat
    stole by some prat
    But the Boards proletariat
    Don't care that
    This has caused the OP some considerable pain and anguish.

Hmm, I kind of lost it on the last line.

Well you wont be the next Seamus Heaney anyway!

Wait.. why was monkeyfudge in the toilets of mcdonalds? No one uses the mcdonalds toilets other then to do drugs.

Monkey were you injecting into your penis while blitz kept watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ah Ah. Can we call it the Maddie Hattie story?

Ha ha! Very good! Did you just come up with that off the top of your head?

• Advertisement

Wait.. why was monkeyfudge in the toilets of mcdonalds? No one uses the mcdonalds toilets other then to do drugs.

Monkey were you injecting into your penis while blitz kept watch?

Judging by the photo, they could have just done all of that inside the hat and saved themselves all that and this hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement