Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GARDA rent allowance 4,000euro per year tax free. Explain

• 24-07-2009 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

not garda bashing consider them simply public sector workers but the threads locked here have me interested. No one has explained or justified the tax free rent payment for a guard that could very well be living at home with his folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've wondered this myself. Will someone defend the indefensible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

yeah it just strikes me funny. In the other threads people mentioned guards being in debt after templemore but they get paid while training. What about the poor souls doing 3 years for a degree in nursing or teaching no paid training there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

partypiper wrote: »
    not garda bashing consider them simply public sector workers but the threads locked here have me interested. No one has explained or justified the tax free rent payment for a guard that could very well be living at home with his folks

They can't work near to home. They have to take a post where they need to rent.

Seems a little crazy, but Ireland does not allow gardi to live with their home family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Seems a little crazy, but Ireland does not allow gardi to live with their home family.

It's not really, they just dont want to put gardi in a situation where they are faced with the possibility of arresting people they went to school with or are related to. (Any more than is impossible to prevent obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That is not correct. There is nothing preventing a Garda from living in their original home if it's within practical commuting distance from their station. Many young Dublin based Gardai who are from Dublin live at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

That is not correct.

It was, at one time, but no longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

testicle wrote: »
    It was, at one time, but no longer...

Wishbone Ash is correct. Normally a 21 miles distance from relatived is required for placing a Garda in a station. This rule does not apply to Dublin Region though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it really tax free?

yes tax free into the hand spoke to mate about it he throws it off his mortgage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I've had to relocate for jobs. Nothing like tehi was put in place. Just another perk, definitely not required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'd understand the 4k existing if they had crazy problems getting staff, but they don't.

It's not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

the only way to get rid of it would be on a phased basis but it is tough to remove such benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

dont see the problem, its a perk of the job. I'm sure by giving this money a guard has to report for duty at any location he is ordered too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bringingitall

<Removed rather offensive comment on the intelligence of Garda recruits> eth0_

By the laws of supply and demand these perks and salaries are not needed to attract new recruits. The guards and prison officer recruitment drives are always and mean always over subscribed. Read the hundreds of threads on here.

<Removed rather offensive comment on the intelligence of Garda recruits> eth0_

Don;t get me wrong fair play and all for jumpin on the bandwagon and before someone comes on here and shows me the basic Garda salary startin at 23,000 or whatever.
    Lets get real its the:
    BASIC
    + shift allowance
    + rent allowance tax free(€4,160)
    + uniform allowance
    + boot allowance
    + away from station for the day allowance(airport passport guys + other moving prisoners from x to y)
    + overtime(easily availible, perhaps reduced now)
    + handy days standing around croke park (€200euro from what i'm told)
    + scheduling a ten minute court appearance on your day off knowing that you'll get paid for the minimum 5hours you get under union agreements that state you must be paid this minimum time regardless of your actual time worked(been told first hand about this)
    +Garda credit union(cheap loans how many apartments have you rented from Garda i've been in 3 apartments all owned by garda in the last 5 years, 3 friends have garda landlords)
    +health insurance for you and married partner
    + if put on clerical duty(9-5) an allowance to compensate you for the allowances your missing by not working unsocial hours
    + while on holiday pay an allowance to cover the overtime/allowance you could have potentiallly got if you weren't on the beach basically unsocial hours work allowance even though your not in
    + plain clothes allowance, if your plain clothes garda to buy your own clothes
    +Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance

What these cost the exchequer. Bear in mind it costs €4m to vaccinate young girls against cervical cancer and the goverment won't pay it.

Cost:
    Rent allowance costs €58 million Its paid to every member up to and including superintendent.

Premium Payments (€9.07m) Paid to those on holiday who would normally be eligible for unsociable hours allowance.

Clerical Allowance (€2.07m) paid to cops doing paperwork to make up for the allowances they are loosing out on because they are basically clerical staff.

Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance (€1.2m) (its value is 7.5 per cent of basic pay)

Uniform Grant and Allowance and Boot Allowance (€5.4 m)

Plain Clothes Allowance (€1.9m)

Non-Public Duty Allowances (€1.7m)

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0717/1224250847395.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

^--- I also think it's over-subscribed because people grow up watching movies/tv shows where the police are heroes so it's percieved as a sort of glamourous job, and obviously because a lot of people are insecure/whatever so want to be in a position of authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

AARRRGH wrote: »
    ^--- I also think it's over-subscribed because people grow up watching movies/tv shows where the police are heroes so it's percieved as a sort of glamourous job,

I don't think anyone considers life as a Garda to be 'glamorous'! :D

Lets get real its the:
    BASIC
    + shift allowance
    + rent allowance tax free(€4,160)
    + uniform allowance
    + boot allowance
    + away from station for the day allowance(airport passport guys + other moving prisoners from x to y)
    + overtime(easily availible, perhaps reduced now)
    + handy days standing around croke park (€200euro from what i'm told)
    + scheduling a ten minute court appearance on your day off knowing that you'll get paid for the minimum 5hours you get under union agreements that state you must be paid this minimum time regardless of your actual time worked(been told first hand about this)
    +Garda credit union(cheap loans how many apartments have you rented from Garda i've been in 3 apartments all owned by garda in the last 5 years, 3 friends have garda landlords)
    +health insurance for you and married partner
    + if put on clerical duty(9-5) an allowance to compensate you for the allowances your missing by not working unsocial hours
    + while on holiday pay an allowance to cover the overtime/allowance you could have potentiallly got if you weren't on the beach basically unsocial hours work allowance even though your not in
    + plain clothes allowance, if your plain clothes garda to buy your own clothes
    +Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance

Anyone want to go through these and justify them can't believe it

THIS IS A DISGRACE ON A PAR WITH FAS

Like the guy said it costs 4 million to Vaccinate all young girls against cervical cancer and were payin €9.07m on Premium Payments paid to those on holiday who would normally be eligible for unsociable hours allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Moving this to After Hours, because Work&Jobs isn't the place for bashing people about their jobs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moving this to After Hours, because Work&Jobs isn't the place for bashing people about their jobs.

:confused:
    And here is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement