Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview

• 24-07-2009 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey, I'm signed up on the technical preview of Office 2010 (the one that leaked to bitorrent last week). My company basically wants to know if it's worth upgrading to on release or if they can sneak by with 2003 for a little while longer.

If anyone else is using the technical preview (or a torrented version), I'd b really grateful for any of your thoughts, especially since I'm not getting many bugs with mine and I'd hate to miss something glaring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Don't know what you talking about :)

I'd say Office 2003 + A converter plugin and your good for another while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

meh, not much of a difference between '10 and '07 tbh;

but going from 03 to either is worth it imo.

The ribbon interface is very nice and handy once you take a moment to get accustomed to it.

Then again, I rarely use office at home and only have '03 in work so I cant say if there are any major/minor bugs in the TP of 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

at the end of the day, people type letters, do spreadsheets and look at joke powerpoint presentations.

Why do Microsoft have to reinvent the wheel all the time and charge ridiculous prices for the privilidge. 2003 has all the basics/is not bloaty on resources unless you're a nerdy Office guru.

BTW, Openoffice now supports docx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

kaimera wrote: »
    meh, not much of a difference between '10 and '07 tbh;

but going from 03 to either is worth it imo.

The ribbon interface is very nice and handy once you take a moment to get accustomed to it.

Then again, I rarely use office at home and only have '03 in work so I cant say if there are any major/minor bugs in the TP of 2010

Actually the Ribbon, as useful as it is, is probably the biggest concern. Some people probably will have gripes about that change, and not many of them would be used to Office 2007 either. It'll pretty much be a leap straight from 2003 to 2010. Something I'll be taking account of.

The TP version seems very polished though. OpenOffice isn't really an option for a business though. Never mind that 99.9% of our clients are using Microsoft Office 2003/2007, we need the level of technical support that's provided to the MS product too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

humaxf1 wrote: »
    BTW, Openoffice now supports docx

Google Docs started supporting Docx the day I finished college. Was most annoying.

I agree with most people that the ribbon is awesome. It's one of the few times I've had to (begrudgingly) say fair play to Microsoft. I think that the Office and Games departments are the only ones actually doing anything right in that company - though I have yet to finally get around to trying Windows 7. If what I've heard is true then it'll be a good year for Microsoft. Consumer confidence is never exactly high with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

banquo wrote: »
    Google Docs started supporting Docx the day I finished college. Was most annoying.

I agree with most people that the ribbon is awesome. It's one of the few times I've had to (begrudgingly) say fair play to Microsoft. I think that the Office and Games departments are the only ones actually doing anything right in that company - though I have yet to finally get around to trying Windows 7. If what I've heard is true then it'll be a good year for Microsoft. Consumer confidence is never exactly high with them.

I've got to factor this in as well. XP is going to be supported into 2011, so there's really no sense in moving to another OS until then. So maybe it'll be best to upgrade everything at the same time: Rigs, OS, and office suite.

Advertisement