Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Rant about a warranty

• 24-07-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I know you guys are fed up with rants but i thought i just share my moment here with you even though i could be right or wrong!

Bought a car about 4 months ago so there 2 months left in the warranty...2 problems came up...spark plug and headlight.

spark plug burnt out, engine indication flashing so i had to get it fixed at local garage. I live in Waterford, bought the car in Gorey. Impossible to drive it up that far to get spark plug fixed. I rang them up before the garage fixed and they refused to covered it...told the garage that i ahve to bring it up, he suggested that it could be dangerous and more damagaing to the car. So i got it fixed and now out of pocket

Headlight, it turn out that the bulbs need replacing. I'm not going to drive over 80-90 kilometres to get bulbs fitted!!! I asked again if i could it elsewhere but the guy in Gorey said no...must get it fixed...

Told him " customer service is gone an buried, thanks very much".. cut him off

I just that he didn't want to know!!!

He tried to shaft me once by giving me a 3 months warranty before i caught him out before signing.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ah that felt better now...getting it out in the open...i might be wrong but i feel better now!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bulbs are hardly covered by any warranty? I'd be concerned about why the spark plug burnt out though, although surely replacement wouldn't have cost much more than fuel to Gorey & back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bulbs are usually considered a consumable and wouldn't be covered by a warranty, unless some electrical fault was causing them to blow. They're just something that goes and needs to be changed every now and then.

The same could be said to apply to spark plugs, they just need to be changed every now and then as part of normal wear and tear. But they should last quite a while, and if the garage claimed they gave the car a full service before selling it to you, they should have put new spark plugs in and they shouldn't really go after 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bulbs or spark plugs aren't usually covered by warranty as they are consumable and designed to be replaced as needed. as stephen said, if they were due to be replaced they should have been, but if you've done enough mileage since buying the car, it's to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, rant not warranted OP :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A spark plug would not be covered under a warranty. The underlying reason for it burning out is what I would be concerned about - did you find this out?
    Anyhow, from what I can see, the dealer gave you sound advice about not driving the car long distances given the issue. Did you get pics of the burnt out plug?
    Lastly, what exactly is the wording in the warranty document with reference to the engine (or was it a verbal warranty)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The bulb is not a warranty item as stated above.

A spark plug is also a consumable but was the car serviced before you purchased it? If so, how many kms have you put on the car since the purchase. If the spark plug failed prematurely then you may have a case. Proving the case may be another task.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In all fairness, how much is one spark plug and one bulb to purchase? Why would you bother annoying someone over these items to try and get them covered for free?

What next, when your car needs a service and tyres, will you try to get these covered under warranty too?

Wee see a lot of genuine threads here about warranty, but this one takes the piss IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One more (very obvious) thing - if you're replacing the spark plug yourself do all four to be on the safe side.

Advertisement