Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend, July 24 - 26

• 24-07-2009 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Back to earth, but hopefully not with a bump.

24 Jul 2009 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Galway United Carlisle Grounds
    24 Jul 2009 Dundalk 7:45 Drogheda United Oriel Park
    26 Jul 2009 Bohemians :cool: 1:00 Shamrock Rovers Dalymount Park
    26 Jul 2009 Derry City 7:00 Cork City The Brandywell
    26 Jul 2009 Sligo Rovers 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic The Showgrounds

It'd be great to see some of the support who were at Dalymount for the CL game return to lift the lads against Shamrock.

Disclaimer: listings taken from the frequently unreliable RTE.ie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What's the story with never posting Division 1? Bet you will next season when Bohs are down there:D

24 Jul 2009 UCD 7:45 Mervue United UCD Bowl
    25 Jul 2009 Kildare County 7:30 Monaghan United Station Road
    25 Jul 2009 Waterford United 7:45 Limerick RSC
    25 Jul 2009 Finn Harps 7:45 Wexford Youths Finn Park
    25 Jul 2009 Athlone Town 7:45 Shelbourne Athlone Town Stadium
    26 Jul 2009 Sporting Fingal 3:00 Longford Town Morton Stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What's the story with never posting Division 1? Bet you will next season when Bohs are down there:D

Used to annoy the hell out of me , now i couldnt give a fuck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

haha:D

Sarge wrote: »
    Used to annoy the hell out of me , now i couldnt give a fuck :-)

Yeah, you will if delaney finds a way to relegate yis!
    It's only 1 extra cut and paste! If you're doing a thread on it every week, you might as well do it right.
    Real football for real fans*

*but not division 1, that doesn't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

What's the story with never posting Division 1? Bet you will next season when Bohs are down there:

First prize for most predictable post on the forum! When I was posting the fixtures, I wondered who it would be, and that's the truth.

When Bohs are in the First Division next season, I will post first division fixtures. No doubt there will be people moaning that I've left out the Premier Division fat cats. But if their past record is anything to go by, you won't ever catch them putting up a listing themselves when I forget or can't get to it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The fact remains that you might want to keep the first division lads sweet, SectionF. :D

Got to sit on the fence re: Sunday. Either side could slump after, or be galvanized by, the big occasions this week. An 8 point gap, bar off-the-field events or implosion, will surely be too much ground to make up for us.

More to the point, where am I going to get a fill of pre-match refreshment at that time without drinking around the kip.

SectionF wrote: »
    First prize for most predictable post on the forum! When I was posting the fixtures, I wondered who it would be, and that's the truth.

When Bohs are in the First Division next season, I will post first division fixtures. No doubt there will be people moaning that I've left out the Premier Division fat cats. But if their past record is anything to go by, you won't ever catch them putting up a listing themselves when I forget or can't get to it. ;)

It's your job to do it. Just saying, if you're going to do it, do it right!

Anyway, in the game of the weekend, I can't see anything other than a Shels win. Especially after 8 league wins in a row.
    But what about the big derby game in the premier division you say? I'll go with Dundalk after the Drogs shocking loss to Bray at home.

stovelid wrote: »
    The fact remains that you might want to keep the first division lads sweet, SectionF. :D
    Like we keep them sweet in the Premier? :D
    Got to sit on the fence re: Sunday. Either side could slump after, or be galvanized by, the big occasions this week. An 8 point gap, bar off-the-field events or implosion, will surely be too much ground to make up for us.

Hard to tell what way our lads will respond to Wednesday. Hopefully, they'll be thinking about the last time they got punished for sitting back and defending a narrow lead. I hope Madden gets a decent run. Maybe time for some fresh legs and ideas.
    More to the point, where am I going to get a fill of pre-match refreshment at that time without drinking around the kip.
    Shamrock fans travelling to the metropolis will find that the Home of Irish Football is served by many fine hostelries. But there are also many other options, given that it is located in a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A lovely trip to Athlone tomorrow, pints allowed in the their stand.:cool: Was thinking about popping over to Bohs-Shams but the effort of 1 on a Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As long as Bohs keep the players, they should still beat Rovers. They should've won at Tallaght until they sat on the lead (sound familiar) and there was an ocean between the teams in the second half in the first game.

And anyway the pressure is on Bohs to win the league. Rovers can wait :pac:

• Advertisement

Was thinking about popping over to Bohs-Shams but the effort of 1 on a Sunday.
    Where would you sit?

Where would you sit?

Connaught Stand as I'd be going with a Rovers fan as I usually do for Bohs-Shams matches.

Shamrock fans travelling to the metropolis will find that the Home of Irish Football is served by many fine hostelries.

True, but I wouldn't have time to drink around Landsdowne and get over to Phibsboro in time for the match?
    dfx- wrote: »
    And anyway the pressure is on Bohs to win the league. Rovers can wait :pac:

Just keep within 1-9 points of them and see what happens. :pac:
    Where would you sit?

He's trying to get you to sit in the Jodi. Fiver extra. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Our recent poor performances has to come to an end against Mervue tonight.

He's trying to get you to sit in the Jodi. Fiver extra. :D

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Huge match for us on Sunday, but I'm stuck in Wexford until half two. Highly doubt our national broadcaster will be showing the top of the table clash in our national league though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Brutal tonight. Thank god we were playing Mervue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Rovers fans creaming themselves about the prospect of bringing cans of red bull to the game on Sunday. Are we supposed to be angry? Are we supposed to notice? Are we even supposed to be able to see the unwashed filth waving cans at us from the stand? :confused:

We're over Wednesday and we'll never fail to be pumped up for a derby game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nice and badly needed win for Galway tonight.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Heard Jay O'Shea is skipping around doing his best not to get injured. It would tie in with the type of whirlwind activity that I heard his agent has been up to. Fair play to him though, he still managed to get into what I heard was a smart position to score the winner, and as you say it was a badly needed winner. Some points difference there in the league table now, compared to if Bray had won 1-0.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gwan ta **** Dundalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Bateman wrote: »
    Rovers fans creaming themselves about the prospect of bringing cans of red bull to the game on Sunday. Are we supposed to be angry? Are we supposed to notice? Are we even supposed to be able to see the unwashed filth waving cans at us from the stand? :confused:

Well you've certainly noticed and you seem a little angry so it must be working already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bateman wrote: »

We're over Wednesday and we'll never fail to be pumped up for a derby game.

Inflatable cans of red bull and beach balls :eek:

Its not been 11years since Drogs have beaten us in the league :-) , 4-2 scoreline flattered the drogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hahaha there might be a few other reasons behind that 11 years thing, reckon Limerick might take some points off Waterford tonight, which would be great news for us, can see both us and Fingal winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Its not been 11years since Drogs have beaten us in the league :-) , 4-2 scoreline flattered the drogs.

Given that we were in different divisions for 10 of those years, thats not a surprising statistic. Scoreline flattered Drogs alright. Gibb was a fool to get sent off. A lot of dodgy refereeing but we've no one to blame but ourselves. Our defence was very shaky, they couldn't judge the ball properly at all.

Its also been 14 years since Dundalk won a league title!lol

Cant see us getting anything in Sligo, we always win down there so expect that to change to morrow night.

We have a player coming back from Injury :eek: Mark Quigley is available for selection :eek::eek::eek:

And Dempsey and Leech in the next 2 weeks :eek::eek::eek:

fh041205 wrote: »
    Given that we were in different divisions for 10 of those years, thats not a surprising statistic. Scoreline flattered Drogs alright. Gibb was a fool to get sent off. A lot of dodgy refereeing but we've no one to blame but ourselves. Our defence was very shaky, they couldn't judge the ball properly at all.

Its also been 14 years since Dundalk won a league title!lol

Yeah but we have nine of them :-) , and nine cups :-) how many do the drogs have ???

From the moment gibb got booked that initial yellow card i knew he was going to get sent off , seemed like a bull on the pitch. Someone told me that it was his debut ?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Leech in the next 2 weeks

you must be so excited

Des wrote: »
    you must be so excited

Am actually hes a decent player, unfortunate his injury and now we have O brien i dont see him getting a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Yeah but we have nine of them :-) , and nine cups :-) how many do the drogs have ???

From the moment gibb got booked that initial yellow card i knew he was going to get sent off , seemed like a bull on the pitch. Someone told me that it was his debut ?

Twas his debut alright. He looked the same against Dundee Utd on Monday. Dangerous player and a liability IMO. I'm disgusted with him. Its the one thing we didn't need.

Btw taking credit for league victories that happened over 75 years ago is clutching at straws a bit isn't it? :D Ok i'll stop that now. Dundalk are the only team whove outclassed us this year and ye've done it twice which is really hard to take from our point of view. No other team has played so well against us all year.

What to say, but reiterate what's on our forum, the fact of the abysmal refereeing which is present in this League, supposely a shocking decision tonight down in at the Waterford aswell, penalty which should have been a free out and the Waterford players walked off, right it's all well in good our rivals but it's being to get beyond crap now.

As for Daisy, well not only just from this performance, but from this season, Giller should be the captain from here on in.

Sick at the result, but feck it, it's ours to lose still and hopefully they've learned there lesson from last season.

the fact of the abysmal refereeing which is present in this League

Hancock tomorrow:(

dfx- wrote: »
    Hancock tomorrow:(
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bohs 0-0 Rovers

Very decent game, even if there were no goals. Either team could have scorted, and there were spectacular saves from both keepers. Hancock bottled it a few times when we were in the final third, especially when Powell was brought down.

Thought we were the better team with Shamrock playing on the break for much of it, but our final ball was poor. Ndo, and even Deegan, dwelling too much on the ball and running out of options.

As the game wore on, both sides were more and more comfortable..probably the least anxious I've been at Dalymount in years at the end.

Most of the chances in the first half and unfortunately for Purcell, most fell to him in the second half. Fair enough result, but if we had the likes of Bohs' players, I'd be expecting to see some gulf of talent for my debt.

Defenders and keepers on top, Flynn was my best Rovers player with probably Treacy second best. Jason Byrne skied one and Twigg skied one...Baker wasn't great, Crowe was anonymous when he came on..Robinson put in his best performance so far and Deegan was class...

Nearly had a heart attack at the end with that shot just wide...

Great game. How did that shot not go in at the death? Yis looked very tired. I liked your young lad (Madden?). Is he the lad recalled from Shels? Bright future when he makes his confirmation. :D

I'd give anything (except stupid wages) to have a Deegan at Rovers. We sorely need somebody who can dictate tempo in the middle. I love Rice but he's not a playmaker. Bradley is too inconsistent and Shane is a head-down merchant/winger basically. Too many hopeful balls into the channels at the minute.

Hancock did bottle it but he also carded (Robbo I think) a player for a trip when your player tripped over his own feet. Linesman wouldn't overrule even though it as on his side. Stupid booking that could have cost us.

Not having a go here, but you need to address the attendance thing. You didn't even fill the Jodi for the Derby. I reckon we nearly matched you though it's hard to tell when you are actually in the crowd. Great atmo from your fans that were there though. Great to see some needle back in the only real Dublin derby again. :)

Well happy with draw though. We don't meet again for 3 months in which time you could lose some names. Massive improvement on last season. Win, draw, and a loss against a very superior team (yous) so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

We had so many chances to win it but not to be, 4/6 against Derry and Rovers during the European campaign, have to be happy with that. Looked to be Deegos best game, best of luck to him in England, could definitely see him as Trapatonis type of player aswell if it works out for him.

By what I saw and reports on the rovers forum the Jodi was full - as with rovers in Tallaght the singing end was overflowing and I didnt notice many empty seats the far end so thats 2700 in the Jodi and agains by rovers guestimates around 1500 rovers fans. Decent attendance all round really.

• Advertisement

Great atmo from your fans that were there though. Great to see some needle back in the only real Dublin derby again. :)
    Atmosphere was superb all round - but of course we outsang you, considering we had Johnny Logan on our side. :p I think the Jodi was full - packed down in G and F - and of course every true Bohs fan was delighted with the large Shamrock contingent... clicking them into the ground.

bohsman wrote: »

By what I saw and reports on the rovers forum the Jodi was full - as with rovers in Tallaght the singing end was overflowing and I didnt notice many empty seats the far end

Empty seats at the end of the Jodi, but I hadn't thought of the Tallaght similarity: people leaving seats to stand in the singing end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is Crowe actually complete rubbish or has he just been that way everytime I've seen him this season? Seems a shadow of the player he was - well at least as a footballer - physically, not so much.

Great game. How did that shot not go in at the death? Yis looked very tired. I liked your young lad (Madden?). Is he the lad recalled from Shels?

Very good player, but I think he will need to bulk up a bit.

Definitely not the player he was, no surprise to see Madden start ahead of him yesterday.

Madden looks good alright. Des, did Marc Hughes go on loan to yous? Has he played yet?

bohsman wrote: »
    Madden looks good alright. Des, did Marc Hughes go on loan to yous? Has he played yet?

Not that I know of.

Is he a striker?

Yea, hes got a few goals for us this season but there was a rumour he was going to Shels till the end of the season, maybe we'll be able to get rid of enough players that we'll need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

First time having a full team out since pretty much start of season (and still missing 2 of our better players)
    gave Pats a good going over:D

They looked as poor as we did against Cork a couple of weeks ago:o
    Eoin Doyle (Shamrock Rovers) gone to Sligo.
    Played left mid
    looked good! Thanks for that:D

Scored a lovely goal, took it properly, looked up, picked his spot
    Unlike rest of season with a fullback up front (a very good fullback mind!)
    snatching at chances
    elshambo wrote: »
    Sligo rovers just signed Joe Kendrick :D
    Had a savage game, espically second half!

All the new guys looked good and added a bit of much needed pace to the team

Ohh and the international Full back(Boco) played full back and at times ran the show!:D:D:D

Atmosphere was superb all round - but of course we outsang you, considering we had Johnny Logan on our side. :p I think the Jodi was full - packed down in G and F - and of course every true Bohs fan was delighted with the large Shamrock contingent... clicking them into the ground.

Best/cruelest chant of the afternoon: does your baby know you're here? (directed at your cheerleaders).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Best/cruelest chant of the afternoon: does your baby know you're here? (directed at your cheerleaders).

25 stone pats fan calling Owen Morrison lazy turned into fun times

"obesity; im twice the man i used to be......":D etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement