Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSB look to increase variable mortgage interest rates by .5%

Options
  • 24-07-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-hike-shock-1838377.html

Are these people for real? Just when people in the country are being sqeezed enough the fat cats are deciding that they are going to try get more from some of the irish people.

How much longer as a country of people are we going to put up with greedy bankers looking to tighten the noose on our necks and let a goverment that is more interested in party survival than the well being of their country run things?

Honestly this country is just gone beyond and fcucking joke at this stage, (pardon my french.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The problem is the barriers in place if you want to switch your mortgage from one bank to another. Once you go to bank and get a mortgage then you are stuck with them for 30 odd years. They can increase the price all they like and you just have to sit there and take it. There should be a maximum fee of ~€500 to transfer your mortgage from one bank to another. This would create actual competition in the market and mean that things like this wouldn't happen.

Oh and your right this country is a complete shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

The problem is the barriers in place if you want to switch your mortgage from one bank to another. Once you go to bank and get a mortgage then you are stuck with them for 30 odd years. They can increase the price all they like and you just have to sit there and take it. There should be a maximum fee of ~€500 to transfer your mortgage from one bank to another. This would create actual competition in the market and mean that things like this wouldn't happen.

Oh and your right this country is a complete shambles.

The barriers in place now are the fact that many people are in negative equity. I would imagine any bank would be delighted to allow someone to switch their mortgage, but no other bank would have them.

A few years ago several banks paid for holders to switch their mortgages. Their was competition and fierce at that.Banks tried to outdo each other with more attractive products to get people to sign up. Thats part of the problem we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

These are the same bankers who fell over each other in a race to finance Carroll, Dunne, McNamara , Crosby etc in their inflated purchase of multi-million euro land banks in particular D4.

NAMA will rescue these boys and the bankers; to hell with the ordinary peasants, we will pay through the nose (or loose our homes) in extra taxes and increased mortgage payments. What a country.... contrast with the US and all those folks in New Jersey going to jail; that will never happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

From that article it seems that they will still be a lot cheaper than some of the other banks. Anyway interest rates are already artificially low to try and boost the EU economy. If people can't repay at 3-4% then they will have no chance in a few years when it is back at 6-8%. People in this country over borrowed and will pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoinbn wrote: »
    From that article it seems that they will still be a lot cheaper than some of the other banks.

it does gloss over the fact that not all banks have passed on all the cuts in rates. which is worse? not reflecting ECB rates at all? or passing them on and then "reluctantly" deciding you need to increase them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

People in this country over borrow and will pay the price.
    what price is that? people all over the country being evicted from their houses that nobody else can afford to buy so the banks cant sell. thats the whole idea of having these low interest rates for a few years. to help people get out of a hole. never going to happen.

on a €300k mortgage .5% increase means approx €70 extra a month. To a family out of work that could be one week of their monthly shopping in lidl or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

stevoman wrote: »
    what price is that? people all over the country being evicted from their houses that nobody else can afford to buy so the banks cant sell. thats the whole idea of having these low interest rates for a few years. to help people get out of a hole. never going to happen.

on a €300k mortgage .5% increase means approx €70 extra a month. To a family out of work that could be one week of their monthly shopping in lidl or somewhere.

What's the price? Their house.

A family out of work can't afford to pay for a mortage anyway.

What's the price? Their house.

A family out of work can't afford to pay for a mortage anyway.

they might.... between welfare, savings etc..

but an extra €70 will hurt

but you are essentially right, the people who borrowed to the maximum of their affordablity, at the lowest rates and the highest house prices were always likely to be in trouble at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

stevoman wrote: »
    How much longer as a country of people are we going to put up with greedy bankers looking to tighten the noose on our necks and let a goverment that is more interested in party survival than the well being of their country run things?

Honestly this country is just gone beyond and fcucking joke at this stage, (pardon my french.)
    You do realise that a variable rate of 2.69% is spectacularily low, and probably the lowest mortgage rates available in the Eurozone?

Even though the base rate is 0.25%, I am paying 3.75% variable (that's actually very competitive) for my UK mortgage. In the USA, mortgage rates are at least 5%, despite the fact the base rate is at 0%.

Come to think of it, I don't know of a country in the world that has such favourable mortgage rates as Ireland has at this moment. Short of paying people's mortgage, there's nothing more The Two Brian's could be doing for Irish mortgage holders.

Short of paying people's mortgage, there's nothing more The Two Brian's could be doing for Irish mortgage holders.

they are actually paying for some of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

People in this country over borrowed and will pay the price.

I can almost sense glee from your post. People may have over extended themselves and may now lose everything - a tough outcome for people who just wanted a job and a roof over their head.

Ordinary joe went in for a mortgage and was given the hard sell by the supposed experts and borrowed on their advice. Now he is being hung out to dry by the same banks. The same banks that are being bailed out by joe and the rest of the taxpayers - quite sickening really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its called living "within your means"

God help those people when ECB rates go back up. If they were struggling in September '08 on 6%+ retail rates, how are they struggling on 3% retail in July '09? (assuming no job loss)

The bankers can do what they want. If the TSB went bust, it would affect our banking system hence the govt can shout all they want, it wouldnt help anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ive just taken the decision to go 5 yr fixed because of this...im luck enough to have a decent job at the moment and the montly repayments on the 5yr fixed is within my means ( wouldnt have built the house otherwise) its an extra 140 a month out of my wages but at least ill be some what safe if the ECB rate goes back up

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

PTSB ...feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

ive just taken the decision to go 5 yr fixed because of this...im luck enough to have a decent job at the moment and the montly repayments on the 5yr fixed is within my means ( wouldnt have built the house otherwise) its an extra 140 a month out of my wages but at least ill be some what safe if the ECB rate goes back up

Unless you are getting a mouthwatering deal fixed I would personally advise against such a move; fixing mortgage rate. ECB rates when they go up will increase slowly and more that likely top out at 4% (several quarters from now could be 2-3 years time), assuming robust global growth returns or US defaults on its debts (likely: then all in the real s**t).

Just my advice, in particular anyone on tracker would be mad in the head to change to fixed.

Advertisement