Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card for 52 inch tv

Options
  • 24-07-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for a card that can be used to output to a 52" lcd, preferably through an av receiver via hdmi. I would like the sound output via the same connection rather than having a separate spdif cable.

I was thinking of a radeon 4870 or 4890. Question is do a need the 4890, I don't think so. Or could I even go for something less. Also is there much of a difference between the 1gb and 2gb 4870 cards.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Presuming it is for a HTPC setup rather than any gaming, there is no need to by a monster cards as HD/Blueray playback is not nearly as demanding as 3D gaming, and also without gaming 512MB is plenty of memory.

A HD 4650 would be more than adequate if this is the case and save you a minimum of 70-80 quid.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404840

If it is for gaming at HD resolutions (1080p) then the jump from 512 to 1Gb is very important for performance, but here is literally zero difference between 1 and 2Gb at that resolution (The extra GB is simply not needed). In this case would go with a 1Gb 4890 if you can afford it, but there would be absolutely no worries with 1Gb 4870 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Nice one.

Is is possible to output different resolutions from the different outputs at the same time? If I have my monitor (1920X1200) and tv hooked up at the same time can I set them to different resolutions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cracker wrote: »
    Nice one.

Is is possible to output different resolutions from the different outputs at the same time? If I have my monitor (1920X1200) and tv hooked up at the same time can I set them to different resolutions?

This can easily be done using Ati Catalyst Control center.

Advertisement