Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring Motor tax to another vehicle?

• 24-07-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Can you transfer motor tax to another vehicle? Renewed my tax for 6 months recently

but just after buying a newer car, the tax is due on it

can i transfer the tax? the cars have same size engine

or can i cancel the tax on my current car (its being traded in) and use the refund on newer car...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motor tax cannot be transfered to another vehicle.

The only exception where you can get a refund is if the car is scrapped and there was at least 3 months motor tax remaining on the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

really? shower of backstards

can you reclaim the tax paid if you are not going to trade/sell your car and just have it sitting in your garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I thought you could cancel your car tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From here lads: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates

Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;
    • The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    • The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    • The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
    Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The only thing that you could do is to negotiate with whoever you are trading the car i with, and get them to give you a better price for the tax that is already on the car.

used cars are in short supply at the moment, so you should be in good shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

bazz26 wrote: »
    From here lads: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates

Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;
    • The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    • The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    • The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
    Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,

I wonder could you use this to prove your case. I would asume you would have to sign a declaration in a garda station saying that the car has been off the road or something to that effect.

Advertisement