Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering in the side

Options
  • 24-07-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Has anyone covered their side passage recently? I was thinking of using some of that plastic corrugated sheeting, supported on some timber battens screwed to the external house wall and to the dividing wall. Then we can have somewhere to hang out the laundry during the summer months when it rains.

Anyone done this, and have any horror stories tips to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

its a good idea , just dont let it overhang in to neighbours ,as i dont think they would be happy with the extra rainwater! and fit a gutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+1 on Mintman's add a gutter.
    I've done a couple of these. If you get along with the neighbours it's always best to discuss your plan with them.
    Make sure the rainwater drains to your side into a water butt if you do a bit of gardening. If you are leaving one end open make sure to leave a decent gap for air to escape at the far end other wise you will create enough pressure in the "tunnel" to lift the roof right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

+1 on the air pressure!!!

i did a course a while back and at a certain wind speed ( cant remeber is of hand but it was not that fast ) the air pressure can reach forces of a ton per square metre

Advertisement