Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number Plates Nicked!!

• 24-07-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Hi i was getting into my car this morning and noticed that my front number plate was gone,so thought to myself maybe i got i caught somewhere and it fell off,till i looked at the back and that was gone too ,so obviously nicked

So any advice would be appreciated ,do i contact the gardai and maybe the etoll as i have an acc tag with them or just go and get a new set of plates and forget about it?

Btw its only a 06 Citroen C4 van i use for work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

If I were you I would do everything that you have sugested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If I were you I would do everything that you have sugested.

+1

This is a case of *ss covering if ever I saw one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The reg from my bike was stolen in 2001. I got a speeding ticket for 60mph in a 40mph zone near Lucan somewhere.

It wasn't my bike and I insisted on the picture from the camera. It turned out it was a truck with my plate on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

EPM wrote: »
    +1

This is a case of *ss covering if ever I saw one

+2

absolutely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

As advised I would do everything you mentioned in your post. The guards being the main one.

If both plates were used you can be sure it will be used for something, whether its just robbing petrol or being used in a more serious job. Each are likely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

A friend's brother had his plates nicked about 3 years ago and they were used on another car in a post office robbery. Do everything you said to cover yourself from every angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Why would someone rob the plates (for a nefarious deed) when you can walk into any motor factors and get new plates made up with any reg you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

voxpop wrote: »
    Why would someone rob the plates (for a nefarious deed) when you can walk into any motor factors and get new plates made up with any reg you want?

I was thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

cost. scumbags don't want to have to pay or show their face to get new plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Was thinking that too or maybe (imagination running wild now)they dont want to be caught on any cctv in any of the motor factor shops or it was just as easy(and cheaper) to screw them off the nearest car they passed by

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Was thinking that too or maybe (imagination running wild now)they dont want to be caught on any cctv in any of the motor factor shops or it was just as easy(and cheaper) to screw them off the nearest car they passed by

It would still make more since for them to get the plates made up. Sure it would be next to impossible to track someone down by cctv in a motorfactors. It could be done in any motor factors anywhere in the country or over the net.

But by stealing the plates the op has been immediately alerted and can report it so that any suspicious carry on involving the reg will be flagged straight away.

But then again a scumbag's IQ is usually lower than their respect for other peoples property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

In the UK you can get theft proof plates where they are stuck on and shatter if removed, not sure if anyone in Ireland sells them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

cheers got new plates and informed the gardai :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

But by stealing the plates the op has been immediately alerted and can report it so that any suspicious carry on involving the reg will be flagged straight away.
    The theory is that they would be taken to use in a robbery. The actual vehicle to be used would be robbed well in advance, finding the right vehicle can take a while, and then they might want some time to prepare it or even just make sure it's in good running order. This means that it will have been reported stolen, and because it will have been taken a few days before it's to be used, the make/model and number plates will have spread through whatever systems, notifications sent out etc and there's always the chance that an alert garda will spot it and recognise it, especially if it's left parked outside a bank or post office etc.

The plates are then robbed at the last minute (most likely the night before the robbery), as pretty much any plates will do and even if they're reported stolen there won't be enough time for the plate numbers to make their way out to the gardaí on the street.

Hopefully when the ANPR system goes fully live and is getting updates through the day, stolen vehicle/plate details will be pushed out instantly.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The theory is that they would be taken to use in a robbery. The actual vehicle to be used would be robbed well in advance, finding the right vehicle can take a while, and then they might want some time to prepare it or even just make sure it's in good running order. This means that it will have been reported stolen, and because it will have been taken a few days before it's to be used, the make/model and number plates will have spread through whatever systems, notifications sent out etc and there's always the chance that an alert garda will spot it and recognise it, especially if it's left parked outside a bank or post office etc.

The plates are then robbed at the last minute (most likely the night before the robbery), as pretty much any plates will do and even if they're reported stolen there won't be enough time for the plate numbers to make their way out to the gardaí on the street.

Hopefully when the ANPR system goes fully live and is getting updates through the day, stolen vehicle/plate details will be pushed out instantly.

I understand the theory behind it but my point was that instead of stealing plates would they not be better to have a set made up, that way they would not be alerting anybody until they actually commit the crime, even over a night the op's plates could be up on the system and the stolen car, with the op's plates could be flagged. If they had plates made with the op's reg then the guards would not be on the look out for the reg(or trigger ANPR) and the scum could continue with their business until they actually commit the crime.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I understand the theory behind it but my point was that instead of stealing plates would they not be better to have a set made up, that way they would not be alerting anybody until they actually commit the crime, even over a night the op's plates could be up on the system and the stolen car, with the op's plates could be flagged. If they had plates made with the op's reg then the guards would not be on the look out for the reg(or trigger ANPR) and the scum could continue with their business until they actually commit the crime.
    Don't most if not all places now require proof of ownership before taking the order?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ah, do you not have to give ID or anything getting plates made up? Either way there's a risk of CCTV in the shop and the shop would presumably keep some kind of record of plates made. Grabbing a set from some car at night would probably be safer, probably quicker and easier too :)

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't most if not all places now require proof of ownership before taking the order?
    Ah, do you not have to give ID or anything getting plates made up?

Not that I have heard of. I had plates made up for myself about 2 months ago and for a friend a few months before and they just made them up with the reg I told them no mention of proof or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ah, do you not have to give ID or anything getting plates made up? Either way there's a risk of CCTV in the shop and the shop would presumably keep some kind of record of plates made. Grabbing a set from some car at night would probably be safer, probably quicker and easier too :)

Motor factors (or at least the one's I've been in) don't keep a record of the regs. of the plates that have been made. It would make it impossible to track anyone down.

Advertisement