Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8

• 24-07-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Well, seeing as how Windows 7 has been RTM this week, it's time to focus our procrastinating on the next OS. Sometime last year, before the public beta, many said that Windows 7 could be the last OS from Microsoft (for consumers anyway). I remember reading an article though last month about Windows 8 where they linked to the microdoft careers site where they were looking for software engineers to head a project, specifically mentioning Windows 8. A quick google will bring up a few more articles, if anyone is interested.

So, given it'll be at least 2 years before we see snapshots of Win8, anybody have any thoughts on possible features?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I strongly disagree that we will see new operating system in 2 years. The main reason that it happened now was Vista, and say no more mister, say no more.

Xp is grand and look how many years we had to wait for newer version of Windows.

I believe that W7 will be as strong as XP, it has to be. People lost their faith in Windows after Vista.

So maybe 5-6 years from now we will see first beta of W8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Yeh I'd really doubt that we'll be seeing "snapshots" of Windows 8 in two years time. Microsoft will probably talk about the kind of possible features that could appear in the next operating system when Windows 7 has been out for a few months.

I've been using Windows 7 as my main OS for a while now and I can see it lingering around as long as XP has.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think they'd like to get back to their old 3-year release cycle, so I wouldn't rule out seeing the first signs of Windows 8, or whatever it'll be called in a couple of years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

XP was great. I'm not planning on upgrading until 7's been out a year or so (do a lot of production, need to wait for stable drivers) but if it's as stable as XP then I'll happily make the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

banquo wrote: »
    XP was great. I'm not planning on upgrading until 7's been out a year or so (do a lot of production, need to wait for stable drivers) but if it's as stable as XP then I'll happily make the switch.

After two months of using W7 RC I have to say it is stable. Had some problems, but it's RC, I was expecting more trouble to be honest.
    Definetelly going with full version on 22nd of October.

BTW never had a Vista because of your reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

docentore wrote: »
    I strongly disagree that we will see new operating system in 2 years. The main reason that it happened now was Vista, and say no more mister, say no more.
    I didn't say we're gonna see a finished product in two years, or even a beta!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stephen wrote: »
    I think they'd like to get back to their old 3-year release cycle, so I wouldn't rule out seeing the first signs of Windows 8, or whatever it'll be called in a couple of years time.

Well with 7 they said they were trying to stick to the 3 year life cycle so I'd say they'll definitely stick with it for the future. Hopefully they'll get around to releasing winfs, meant to be out with vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

banquo wrote: »
    Vista (SP1) is stable. It had driver issues in the first few months but they're long sorted. When you say you're waiting for it to be stable what you really mean is you are waiting for SP1. Well Win7 is Vista with the service pack and a few minor tweaks. So its good to go out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd have to disagree. Vista EATS resources and even with a decent spec PC will still run a lot slower than 7 from my experience.

Plus 7 runs perfectly fine on the DELL Inspiron 6400 I'm using now (as I type) - I'd say about as good as XP personally, whereas Vista performed like a dog! (something to do with the integrated Intel video I gather).

7 also works well on several netbooks I've tried it on.. I wouldn't even attempt to load Vista!

Just waiting for the RTM to appear on my Technet Plus/MVLS site now so I can upgrade :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'll hardly buy another MS OS ever.
    I have my loads of XP licences.
    Ubuntu works
    Open solaris works.

Why would I ever buy a new MS OS? Yes Win7 is "ok", but I don't have vista so don't need it.

It's so bloated now all they could possibly do is cosmetic in 3 years.

I might try Win8 if it's pre-installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

would have thought Ubuntu was just as bloated tbh.

the main people who will want win7 installed are gamers and business or private users who want an upgrade but don't want to risk vista, breaking all their legacy applications.

i used vista for a while and didn't like it, but win7 looks like a good replacement for xp.

the newer security features of win7 are much better than xp..which is another reason business might want to use it.

The main issue with regard to unix-variant o/s vs windows is that most businesses are already familiar with windows, they've worked on it for 10+ years...it's not gonna be replaced by any *nix o/s anytime soon.

Advertisement