Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - Speed Issue

Options
  • 24-07-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

ISP - Perlico

On 3mb line - speed is so bad at the moment it's almost like being on dial-up - in Kerry - this was o.k. Wednesday night but since Thursday morning has become unusable

Perlico just say there are no known issues.....

Anyone else having similar problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Tralee?

Get: http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Type in boards.ie and start a ping trace. Double click the hop at the top with the most packet loss and take a screenshot, i wonder if youve the same problem as myself

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Farranfore -

When did you start having problems?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pricewise post your line stats please

Farranfore -

When did you start having problems?

3 months ago :pac:

3 months ago.......?

crikey...........

did you report it?

• Advertisement

Ive reported it and been through hell and back with Eircom who are about as much use as a condom in a convent

Ive changed ISPs.

I've just contacted Perlico to report the problem....

I have been told to remove all the filters on the line and see if that helps the speed....

Apologies for being thick but i was told first that these filters were important for maintaining broadband speed....

Can anyone explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The filters keep analog stuff like phones from interfering with the broadband.

I have had problems with perlico too but rebooting my router fixes the issue I think. I do not use it too much at home for it to be a problem. I will be changing though. I am only on the 1mb package and I would like 3mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I've just contacted Perlico to report the problem....

I have been told to remove all the filters on the line and see if that helps the speed....

Apologies for being thick but i was told first that these filters were important for maintaining broadband speed....

Can anyone explain this?
    Yes they are vital to keep low and high frequencies seperate (low for phones, faxes, sky - high for broadband only).

Can we see your line statistics please? 192.168.1.1 > Password is 1234 > System Status > Show Statistics.

524533812.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Do what cpu-dude just told you to do:)

I disconnected all filters as suggested and everything seemed fine....

Then i started getting the following messages

"...firefox cannot connect to the server at ebay.co.uk...."

e.g. i can get to google and rte but i can't get to loads of other sites like ebay and yahoo

if i try and ping the sites i get nothing as well

i have tried turning the router offand back on again.....no joy!

HELP.....any ideas.....???

is there a way around this or is a new router required perhaps?

What DNS server are you using? Sounds like a DNS issue now.

How would i find out what DNS server i am using...?

Many Thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fergusyarrow

Hey guys. pricewise987, you could do an nslookup from the command line. It will tell you the name of the server:

fergus:~ fergusyarrow$ nslookup www.yahoo.com
    Server: 208.67.222.222
    Address: 208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.yahoo.com canonical name = www.wa1.b.yahoo.com.
    www.wa1.b.yahoo.com canonical name = www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com.
    Name: www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com
    Address: 87.248.113.14

I do believe Saruman is spot on though in his assumption that Perlico's DNS is at fault. I changed mine to openDNS earlier this morning and it seems to have resolved all my connectivity issues. The openDNS servers are as follows:

Try changing your DNS servers to these and see if it makes an improvement. Hopefully, it will and you can happily browse again without any problems.

Go into network connections (from desktop or control panel), right click the connection you're using and go to properties.

Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the box and hit the properties button. At the bottom change the setting to "use the following DNS servers" and type:

4 . 2 . 2. 1
    4 . 2 . 2 . 6

Press ok and see if you can now visit those sites.

These are the Level3 DNS servers and are more stable than eircoms anyway. You can always use the openDNS ones too.

C:\>nslookup
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Does this help?

i changed the openDNS servers as well:

Doesn't seem to have made any difference

can ping boards.ie

cannot ping ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fergusyarrow

Hi pricewise987. Go with what Epeen is saying and put in either the addresses he or I provided and see if this gets you back connected without any issues.

I was assigned a private IP address this morning by perlico, when I turned off and back on my router. 10.8.40.94. What is going on with them?! Also, while I was assigned the "private-only" ip address, surfing the internet was dire. It took 10 refreshes to call up this page, and most pages (rte, google etc) took 2 or 3 tries and a bit of waiting too.

I got a normal IP (93.107.8.*) just 15 minutes later, but that stull did not improve the internet connection. It was worse if anything. After a while of struggling to surf and checking pings (packets lost all over the place), I switched off-and-on the router.

And a massive amount of websites are out of service with routing issues too it appears. It's the same problem as what happened to me and others a week or two ago. Running tracerts to various websites shows:

Tracing route to hp-core.ebay.com [66.135.217.240]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 57 ms 58 ms 56 ms 89.19.64.129
    3 56 ms 56 ms 54 ms 89.19.64.181
    4 58 ms 55 ms 55 ms 85.205.16.177
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    etc etc etc.

I can't see it being a DNS address issue as website names are being resolved. The only thing that ever cured it was a restart, and that seems not to be working now.

One last thing. I was on the phone to perlico now, they have a recorded technical announcement about technical issues. Anyway, I was told that they may have it working by this evening, but there seems to be a couple of problems. Certainly perlico/vodafone do seem to be working on something at least.

did the following

".......Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the box and hit the properties button. At the bottom change the setting to "use the following DNS servers" and type:

4 . 2 . 2. 1
    4 . 2 . 2 . 6........"

got no connection to boards.ie when i did that so

changed to the settings below

now i am getting below when i try and ping ebay

> ping www.ebay.co.uk
    Server: hp-intl-uk.ebay.com
    Addresses: 66.135.200.28, 66.135.210.64, 66.135.200.146, 66.135.217.241
    Aliases: www.ebay.co.uk

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to www.ebay.co.uk timed-out

get this when i ping boards.ie

> ping www.boards.ie
    Server: www.boards.ie
    Address: 89.234.66.107

*** www.boards.ie can't find ping: No response from server

• Advertisement

magic "to-be-confirmed"..........

thanks very much......

Don't bother mucking about with DNS. It appears to be a perlico/vodafone/possibly eircom wholesale routing issue. In otherwise, we're screwed till they fix it:)

If you need to get to a website in a hurry, it's down to the nearest friend, neighbour or internet cafe with ye. Otherwise, enjoy what surfing Irish has to offer, as .ie websites have always seemed to work (unless you end up with 10.x.x.x IP adresses).

If you're patient and lazy, dialup can be used...:eek: Or an online proxy server that you can still access, but they're usually very slow.

Yes if you can resolve the website name it is not a DNS issue. Sounds just like the problem I had a few weeks bacl and when I restarted the router it worked. The reason it worked is probably I got a new IP address so was using a different routing path.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

I got the upgrade from 1 to 3mb during the week and for some reason it looks as if I have gone back years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I'm also having problems with my internet today. I'm with Perlico.

I can't get onto eBay (.ie/.co.uk.com.au/.de etc) at all. Even a few weeks ago I had problems, I couldn't get onto eBay or Yahoo.ie.

A lot of websites I've tried to get on either work and if they work they're very slow or and if they don't work they show me a blank "untitled" page or else show me the following message (depending on the website):
    Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I did a bit of experimenting, and these are the results of what works and what doesn't, if you do have Perlico/Voda DSL troubles.
    All Irish websites tested work
    All UK websites tested work
    A select few others, belonging to biggish international companies. I won't go into technical details, but the websites are basically hosted by akamai.com. Akamai.com have servers scattered everywhere, and people in the region get the website from the local akamai.com server instead of www.nvidia.com

The websites I've found working so far are:
    www.nvidia.com
    www.amd.com (and I assume ati.com)
    www.intel.com
    www.akamai.com

I want to try to build up a pattern with these outages.

Can people with difficulties (e.g. Orlaith) do a tracert to www.ebay.ie for me? You hold the start key and R together. Then type cmd into run. A black window will appear. In the black window, type "tracert www.ebay.ie", without quotes.

Let it run for a bit, until you start seeing Request Timed Out. When it happens, hold down control and c together for a moment. Then right click the tracert test and select mark. Drag over the area you want to copy so that it's all selected. Then right click, and it's ready to paste! Thanks a million for doing this.

Now the other *critical* bit of info is this. Go to the website http://www.whatismyip.com/. You'll see 4 numbers, separated by full stops. Could you give me the first 3 numbers of what's displayed? (the last one would allow me and everyone on the web to find your pc, and you don't want that:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can people with difficulties (e.g. Orlaith) do a tracert to www.ebay.ie for me? You hold the start key and R together. Then type cmd into run. A black window will appear. In the black window, type "tracert www.ebay.ie", without quotes.

Let it run for a bit, until you start seeing Request Timed Out. When it happens, hold down control and c together for a moment. Then right click the tracert test and select mark. Drag over the area you want to copy so that it's all selected. Then right click, and it's ready to paste! Thanks a million for doing this.
    Tried this and I get on ok until the "control and c together" Is control "ctrl"? If so, when I press that along with "c" all it does is make a list of "C:\users:***\ - nothing else.
    Now the other *critical* bit of info is this. Go to the website http://www.whatismyip.com/. You'll see 4 numbers, separated by full stops. Could you give me the first 3 numbers of what's displayed? (the last one would allow me and everyone on the web to find your pc, and you don't want that:p)
    This website doesn't work for me, all it shows me is this message:
    Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Ok, ignore the ctrl + c bit. Just let it run until it finishes. It will go to 30 lines, but it won't take long. Then you can select and copy the results as I mentioned in the other post. The ctrl + c makes the tracert thing stop without you having to wait for it to finish. No biggie.

Ok that website's not an option. This website is (supposed to be) based in ireland, it will give you the 4 numbers (e.g 93.107.8.299). Paste back the first 3. Thanks. http://www.irishisptest.com/whatsmyip.php

If that website doesn't work, this one should mention it in small bold lettering in the text below "Check my IP". It's based in the UK, it should work.

I know NTL/UPC where having a routing issue a while back with a server. I work in IT and diagnosed my customers inability to access a certain website as a routing issue. The tech I talked to had no idea what I was talking about but thankfully I scared him enough to let me email my report with tracert info to an email address, anyway in the end I got someone higher up call me back later and he got back to me later and confirmed there was a routing issue and they were able to sort it out thanks to my info so anyone with the issue with perlico should do the same, get trace route info sent in to them so they can see where the routing path is going wrong.

I guess it depends on how good Perlico/eircom are at sorting this kind of thing.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I told the guy in Perlico that I spoke to, that all the pings to affected websites became lost at a certain point. I gave him the IP address of where the tracert last worked, as it was the same address which had been implicated in the last problems.

The tracert result from Orlaith will tell alot.

I passed on my IP address and the suspect IP address from my tracert. Hopefully something will come of it.

Advertisement