Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ikon

I am having the same issues... yahoo and other sites mentioned in the previous posts does not work. Even yahoo messenger would not login?

Haven't contacted perlico yet? Anypoint?

Shouldn't have switched from UTV.... very bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Turning off your modem and then turning it back on might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tracing route to hp-intl-other.ebay.com [66.135.210.64]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 96 ms 88 ms 90 ms 192.168.55.122
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

That was tracert ebay.ie btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm with failico and am on the 3mb connection and am having them same issues as other users. Started happening last night and im also on openDNS.

Not getting any .com addresses but skype still works....? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Like I said earlier, this might help because you will get a new IP address and with luck have a different routing path.

• Advertisement

yeah the auld turning off and on didnt work, I think this could be a DDOS.

titan 18, I assume you're a Vodafone mobile customer. They have a similar thread with your issues in the midband forum. It appears that there's nothing you can do for the moment, as restarting the connection hasn't worked for one poster.

Could you do another tracert, except to www.rte.ie (and leave out the extra request timed out lines if it doesn't work!:) ) I want to see a tracert when it is working, and www.rte.ie seems to work for everyone so far.

My point about turning the router off and back on, is that you may get a different IP gateway assigned to you by eircom's BRAS. One that works. It didn't work for me late this morning, but when I tried it at around 7.30pm, it did work and I'm surfing normally. 89.19.64.1 seems to be one's friend. If your tracert has that in its second step, then you should be in business.

Done a tracert to rte.ie here are my results.

> tracert www.rte.ie
    Server: www.rte.ie.nsatc.net
    Address: 89.207.56.140
    Aliases: www.rte.ie

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to www.rte.ie timed-out
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

Doesn't work, resetting the modem doesn't work either.

I'm also on perlico & this **** has been happening intermittently since yesterday. I've tried 2 computers on the same connection & they both have the same problems, a bit slow 1 minute then blank pages & 20 mins later they both work again.

Anyone tried a proxy to bypass this crap? Does it work? Open to any ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Ok, ignore the ctrl + c bit. Just let it run until it finishes. It will go to 30 lines, but it won't take long. Then you can select and copy the results as I mentioned in the other post. The ctrl + c makes the tracert thing stop without you having to wait for it to finish. No biggie.
    Results from Run/CMD:
    Tracing route to hp-intl-other.ebay.com [66.135.210.64]

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 89.19.64.129
    3 28 ms 24 ms 29 ms 89.19.64.181
    4 22 ms 20 ms 21 ms 85.205.16.177
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
    Ok that website's not an option. This website is (supposed to be) based in ireland, it will give you the 4 numbers (e.g 93.107.8.299). Paste back the first 3. Thanks. http://www.irishisptest.com/whatsmyip.php

If that website doesn't work, this one should mention it in small bold lettering in the text below "Check my IP". It's based in the UK, it should work.
    First three number's are: 93.1

• Advertisement

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert www.ebay.ie
    Unable to resolve target system name www.ebay.ie.

I'm also unable to connect to http://www.whatismyip.com/ to give you my ip. (yet I can post this here)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

tracert www.rte.ie

Tracing route to www.rte.ie.nsatc.net [89.207.56.140]

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 * 16 ms 15 ms 89.19.64.2
    3 19 ms 14 ms 15 ms 89.19.64.73
    4 35 ms 17 ms 17 ms 213.233.129.93
    5 46 ms 46 ms 47 ms deg-gw-1.rte.ie [193.242.111.42]
    6 47 ms * 47 ms www.rte.ie [89.207.56.140]

Trace complete.

first 3 numbers - 93.107.85

is there a way of getting re-assigned a new ip which will get around this?

many thanks for all your help "to_be_confirmed"

These problems can't be really solved by any means this mortal customer has. If you want to get the internet fully working, keep restarting the modem until you can access www.ebay.ie again, then do the important surfing first. Like I said earlier, friends or family's internet could be helpful.

You can also search for a free proxy on google. Most won't work because of the problems, but there's the odd few like vectroproxy.com that will, albeit slowly. Some proxies can carry spyware or hidden viruses in the website, so take care when using these services and don't enter them if they look dodgy. As ever, always use antivirus and anti-malware software when on the internet.

Technical bit:
    After 2 hours of trouble-free browsing according to the router log, the modem was given a new IP address, that computers behind proxies or computers on big LANs (colleges etc) get. After 2 minutes, it changed to a normal 93.107 address, like this morning. After another 2 minutes, it changed the IP address to another 93.107 address, and that's what the computer is connected to now. To make it worse, it's connected with the 89.19.64.1 gateway which I thought was immune.
    End of technical bit:pac:

I'm back at square 1 anyway. I'll see what the morning brings.

Orlaith, you're going to kill me for not mentioning it. I meant the first 3 groups of numbers. E.g 93.107.500 from the result which would be say 93.107.500.300.

Thanks to all for posting the tracert stuff!

Orlaith, you're going to kill me for not mentioning it. I meant the first 3 groups of numbers. E.g 93.107.500 from the result which would be say 93.107.500.300.
    Whoops, sorry!

Here you go:

I've managed to login into my email (Yahoo!) and although it was slow and the page had to be refreshed, it worked. That was about 30 mins ago and it won't work again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

AGH! Ours is gone slow too! It's been hooked up to two different computers (my sister managed changing the IP address on the PC to an American one so she was able to get onto facebook) and I'm just screaming at the mac laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

yea perlico here too, cant get onto a good few sites for the last 2 days now,

abit ridicules at this stage

Mine has drastically improved since I posted here (I heart Boards!).
    I copied one of the openDNS 's from here and it seems to have worked.

mars bar wrote: »
    Mine has drastically improved since I posted here (I heart Boards!).
    I copied one of the openDNS 's from here and it seems to have worked.

it's drastically improved cos your posting on a .ie website, what's the rest of the internet like??

Yeah i know the .ie websites were fine, hence I posted on boards for help!!

The other sites are fine now, Facebook was the one I couldn't get into. Managed to get onto Twitter a couple of times throughout the day but no problems now.

The ONLY reason why OpenDNS has worked is because the restart the router needs to use OpenDNS, also refreshed the IP address stuff. That has fixed the problem until you either get a dodgy address again (like I did) or until Voda/Perlico fix the problem.

So if you can't access websites while on Perlico/Vodafone DSL, OpenDNS or Level3 (4.2.2.2) won't fix anything. Restarting the router sometimes helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for the update Orlaith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnnyoirish

I've just joined boards.ie because of this problem. It's been happening on and off for me for the last few weeks - sometimes rebooting the router improves matters, sometimes not. Sometimes using openDNS helps a little, sometimes not. I did a traceroute to one particular site a couple of days ago when these problems were happening, it bounced around a few Irish IPs (owned by Vodafone), then went to a German IP (also owned by Vodafone), then died.

From my very flaky tests, it seems sites hosted in the UK or Ireland are almost always accessible, but those hosted further afield are often impossible to connect to. To me it looks like vodafone are having some major network issues, and I intend to get onto Perlico in the next few days to request a reduction on my monthly bill. The service being paid for just hasn't been there!

For the record, I'm also a Perlico 3mb customer. This isn't a DNS issue, I'm having plenty of URLs resolving with both Perlico/Vodafone DNS and openDNS, but still it seems the connection breaks down before it even leaves Vodafone's network! Right now I can't even check where it breaks down, because I can't access any sites geolocating IP addresses. When I have been able to, the last point on the tracert always seems to have been central/eastern europe.

Will call back with more details if I find anything out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It could be a conspiracy to block Ireland off from the rest of Europe until we vote yes to Lisbon :D Oh wrong forum :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yes this explains a lot. Have been having problems connecting to a few sites in last day or two. Picked up briefly for awhile but now encountering problems again. And Perlico say there doesn't seem to be a problem. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jograntsknicker

They don't even have anything on their website explaining that they are currently experiencing problems. Very unprofessional. Has anyone been in touch with them to get an ETA on when this will be resolved.

Is it a coincidence that the last time this seems to have happened was also a weekend? Maybe they just won't pay the guys who can fix these issues for working over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

It started for me on Friday evening and I haven't been able to use the net properly since then.

This is completely unacceptable, I now have to pay them an extra €90 for breach of contract to switch to BT.

I really wish my elderly father had not answered the call from the pelico sales scum bag who tricked him into switching :(

BT's residential business is being joined with Voda's, just like perlico. Don't waste your time. And I'd say perlico would have the better support and billing out of the two.

If you call 1912 and press 3 (i think), you'll get a prerecorded message. Doesn't give much details however. I was told that the issue might be fixed by yesterday evening, but I fear he was talking about some issue between Perlico and Eircom wholesale over SSL stuff??

The point is, people need to call perlico and register their dissatisfaction and point out to them that with every single inaccessible website, a tracert test shows that the pings get sent to 85.205.16.177, an IP address registered with Vodafone Germany, and after that the pings are lost! Then ask for a resolution date for this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

not a clue about half the info here but my perlico keeps turning off wont find sites i looking for just says opps this link is broken last friday didt work at all if i on a web site it just goes opps again and stops working have to close it down and try again can take ages to get site again any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I've been having problems too (I'm with Vodafone fixed broadband) and I have just called their tech guys and was told that they have a server down and it's affecting everybody. Wouldn't promise anything but he said they hope to have it sorted today/this evening.

Here's hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jograntsknicker

I can't even access the vodafone.ie website. Ha ha. God, how bad are Perlico. Is this effecting all Perlico customers? Or just a select few.

• Advertisement

Same again today.

Although I can get onto Yahoo.ie and sign into my emails, although it is slow, at least I can sign into them.

Hope it's fixed today (re: post no #59) or Perlico will be getting a call (and earful) from me tomorrow.

Advertisement