Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SenorCarlsberg

yep, i'm having the same problem here too (Cork). I though the problem was down to me messing with router settings in a bid to get my laptops to pick up a wireless signal from my shi!!y Zyxel router,apparently not.

These open DNS's that people have been speaking about......where would be a good place to get one just to use for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You can use whatever DNS you choose for as long as you want. It'll make no difference. You have to wait until perlico fixes it really.

Sometimes turning off the router and then turning back on the router will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

You can use whatever DNS you choose for as long as you want. It'll make no difference. You have to wait until perlico fixes it really.

Sometimes turning off the router and then turning back on the router will help.

I am seriously thinking of leaving Perlico, I was without the internet for about a week earlier this month some very unhelpful staff at the customer service there and now this? It's just not good enough in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

Hi

Vodafone seems to have a similar problem here in Dublin.

I can't access vodafone.ie either.

Can get to only a few sites, this one obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobslifeforu

Hi All,

Ive been having the same issues as most of you reported, it started for me about 2 months ago where when i turned on my router i could only reach some web pages, but all i had to do was restart the router and the issue would be resolved.

This weekend ive been getting really slow speeds across the board and im only able to connect to European websites, leaving me with perlico.ie to complain and boards.ie to complain :p.

I suggest everybody who is experiencing these connection problems fill in the below forum and submit it to perlico/vodaphone to let them know there is an issue with their service.

Perlico online support:
    http://www.perlico.ie/support/contactCS.aspx

Below is my proof theres an issue:

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.127.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.127.100: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=47
    Reply from 74.125.127.100: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=47
    Reply from 74.125.127.100: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=47
    Reply from 74.125.127.100: bytes=32 time=195ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 74.125.127.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 191ms, Maximum = 195ms, Average = 192ms

C:\Documents and Settings\admin>ping ebay.com
    Ping request could not find host ebay.com. Please check the name and try again.

lets hope it gets resolved soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marcco1977

I rang 1912 and option 3 for broadband

and the young chap on the other end of the line who you could hear from his voice must have answered the question all day. with out me finnishing my question answered it is a dns server problem and our engineer is working on the problem.

and when i asked him what exactly the problem is. he said he was not sure and all he was told to say was DNS problem.

Great to have trained staff???????????? :-) :):confused:

oh yeah i did a diagnostics test on my netopia router.

on ebay and on facebook

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Pass
    Authentication Pass
    IP Pass

Pinging www.facebook.com
    Cannot resolve hostname

the same for ebay on all sites

twitter was off now seems to be working

Pinging www.twitter.com
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 210/220/230 msec

they have had two days to resolve this issue and still it persists.
    Do there engineers work on the weekend??

Idiots (perlico that is). I'll ring them myself now.

I'll repeat it again. It's not a DNS issue. Changing it won't help, and if it works after changing it, it's a coincidence. Restarts might work, but they haven't worked for me today yet.

Well I called them. There wasn't much to say. I asked for a cause and he said it's a server issue. I asked if the "engineers" were working on it at the weekend as opposed to tomorrow at 9am, he said yeah they're working on it currently.

No repair time given as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am back from Cork and can now say that I am having the same issue at home now.
    I was considering switching to vodafone actually but since they are all the same now there is little point in that.

I filled in the form anyway with the trace route.

Tracing route to hp-intl-other.ebay.com [66.135.217.241]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.254
    2 23 ms 22 ms 23 ms 89.19.64.130
    3 22 ms 22 ms 23 ms 89.19.64.201
    4 73 ms 303 ms 292 ms 89.19.64.177
    5 23 ms 26 ms 24 ms 85.205.16.177
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Same again today.

Although I can get onto Yahoo.ie and sign into my emails, although it is slow, at least I can sign into them.

Hope it's fixed today (re: post no #59) or Perlico will be getting a call (and earful) from me tomorrow.
    Can't get into my emails now at all!!:mad:

If I ring that 1912 number, what details do I need/will they ask for? Account number, name etc?

Sometimes they ask for name, address and some other identifying question. Sometimes they don't bother asking for anything, as tech support doesn't usually involve account details.

You could try emailing them about the issue if you wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roamer171

Glad I found this site I was blaming IE8 and memory leaks. DNS resolved fine. Ping no probs, rolled back to IE7 and still a nightmare. So I hope perlico are going to sort out the issue before the computer flys in pure frustration.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I just filled this out. I'm having the same problems since Friday night. Bit of a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I'm having trouble too with my perlico 1mb,cant seem to get on to Ebay or Wiki,but yet can still got on to boards no problem,
    Could this be an attack on a DSN server?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I'm with vodafone and am in Dublin. It's been driving me mental since Friday.

I'm technogically clueless, so could some kind person give me very simple and clear instructions on what I can do to alleviate the problem.

I understand very little of the foregoing. Thanks.

Hello there,

Most perlico and vodafone DSL customers are having this problem. It's not a DNS issue at all. Basically, you have to sit back and wait.

The only thing that might work is switching off and back on the router/modem. It worked for a couple of people here today.

It worked for me yesterday, but not today so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Ciano313

I'm glad I'm not on my own with this problem. Perlico are actually taking the piss at this stage, I very much regret switching to them from eircom. Have written in explaining the problem everyone's having and how dissapointed I am with their services, yet nothing seems to have been done about it. Poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tmcann

Have changed DNS and its like the difference between night and day. I couldn't get on to MyEbay all day and now its instant. No idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

tmcann - How did you change DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

My line seems fine now with no changes. I think the fix above just coincided with Eircom/perlico/vodafone finally rectifying the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

yes, i was able to log in to some sites i couldn't earlier also, just now.

i bet this was scheduled maintenence or something that they knew they'd have fixed before monday when most people require it for work.

its still ridiciulous. i am going to call them and ask for credit for the days it wasn't working. if they can't provide proper service, they break their side of the contract and I will leave before my term is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

travist wrote: »
    yes, i was able to log in to some sites i couldn't earlier also, just now.

i bet this was scheduled maintenence or something that they knew they'd have fixed before monday when most people require it for work.

its still ridiciulous. i am going to call them and ask for credit for the days it wasn't working. if they can't provide proper service, they break their side of the contract and I will leave before my term is out.

Totally agree but there's probably a clause in the terms and conditions you agreed to saying something about providing uptime of 95% or something. That'll get them off the hook. Only out of contract people might be able to wrangle a free be out of them grrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Why cant anyone just provide a service and not charge if they dont provide it

Morals and ethics got lost in terms and conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tmcann

Probably irrelevant now based on recent posts but I followed Epeen's advice from lunchtime yesterday.

I've now changed back to automatically obtaining an address and everything is back to normal.

I noticed that when I was browsing over the last few minutes, some .com websites which I didn't expect to work were actually working. So I headed over here.

Happy days eh?! And no router reset needed.

tmcann wrote: »
    Probably irrelevant now based on recent posts but I followed Epeen's advice from lunchtime yesterday.

I've now changed back to automatically obtaining an address and everything is back to normal.

You can set them as alternate DNS addresses too so if your ISPs one goes out again, it will use them as backup automatically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Mine is working fine now.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Mine is working fine now.

for now*

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

thanks to all for the help and advice over the last few days...........

thanks to all for the help and advice over the last few days...........

That'll be 29.99 (+vat)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 harlequins_lute

Well All,

Any one get any information back???

I have been playing with my DSL all weekend to try get it working.
    On Saturday, I was getting a private address, this cant be good, as then they would have to be doing NAT (Network Address Translation) or PAT (Port Address Translation), Other wise why bother to give out an address at all????

Not all apps work well with this and there HW must have been red hot to handle the traffic and translating it to get it out to the WWW.

Today I was having strange slowness and time outs, but deffo a different DNS worked..... for me anyhow

Would we have been experiencing two issues????

Any thoughts???? :confused:

Advertisement