Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If anyone changed their DNS, they were lucky. People posted here saying that changing their DNS didn't work. So I doubt the problem was just DNS if some people found it ineffective.

Some people found restarting the router effective today and yesterday. Guess what changing the DNS of a router does.... Yep that's right, it restarts the router!!

Why don't some people read the the thread, or even half of it, before speculating nonsense...

Technical bit: The problem was an IP routing issue, as anyone who did a tracert and posted it here showed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Well All,

Any one get any information back???

I have been playing with my DSL all weekend to try get it working.
    On Saturday, I was getting a private address, this cant be good, as then they would have to be doing NAT (Network Address Translation) or PAT (Port Address Translation), Other wise why bother to give out an address at all????

Not all apps work well with this and there HW must have been red hot to handle the traffic and translating it to get it out to the WWW.

Today I was having strange slowness and time outs, but deffo a different DNS worked..... for me anyhow

Would we have been experiencing two issues????

Any thoughts???? :confused:

I went down here to a pub today to try get the Kerry game (rte stream web only) going on their TVs but using vodafone's BB which they bought specially to try get the game; was ****ing dire. It couldnt even get passed one frame without buffering again.

We tried an O2 one as well which wouldnt even work (awful software/hardware, whats with the short cable sticking out of it?)

Anyway i couldnt figure out if it was a combination of the RTE site being overloaded with the **** nets, but the vodafone BB took a good 10 seconds to load up google today so id say their nets are just a bit ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

well i only have to put up with them for another month as i am getting Eircom 3mb:)

mle1324 wrote: »
    well i only have to put up with them for another month as i am getting Eircom 3mb:)

Good luck with that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 harlequins_lute

Some interesting points in the tread.... which I have read

If you change your DNS on your router it may restart your router.
    Depends on make etc. Not on a Cisco for example
    I changed the DNS on my PC I do not use the router to decide on the DNS settings.

The current flow of traffic is via an address registered to BT (ESAT) or INEX, and not to the vodafone Germany address mentioned in a previous post

So for fun lest speculate some nonsense
    • vodafone/Perlico had more than one issue over the weekend
      • based on
        • giving out private addressing
        • failed traces across the network
          • which are a help but not conclusive as you could be in an area of a network that does not all them, In this case it showed the failure from an address registered outside of Ireland
        • restarting your router or making a change to cause a restart, may have helped
        • mixed reports on DNS helping or not

At the end of the day a crap service for the weekend
    For which I am not a happy camper and will be expecting vodafone to do something about :mad:

• Advertisement

For which I am not a happy camper and will be expecting vodafone to do something about :mad:

See above :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

EPEEN - had the same issue with RTE today trying to watch the Kerry game...

it was a joke...totally impossible to watch

reckon that's an RTE issue......

EPEEN - had the same issue with RTE today trying to watch the Kerry game...

it was a joke...totally impossible to watch

reckon that's an RTE issue......

Yeah i guess it was one of their first web only matches since setanta hit the dirt and they didnt expect the amount of people to try log on to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Epeen wrote: »
    Yeah i guess it was one of their first web only matches since setanta hit the dirt and they didnt expect the amount of people to try log on to get it
    setanta ireland still broadcasting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

tmcann wrote: »
    Have changed DNS and its like the difference between night and day. I couldn't get on to MyEbay all day and now its instant. No idea what's going on.

DNS certainly wasn't the issue for me. Could perform lookups without any prob but traceroutes ground to a halt for non-Irish hosted sites .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I had these problems all weekend at home.

I'm in the office now but just wondering if it's all sorted now?

yes - it's all sorted - well for now at least - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

yes - it's all sorted - well for now at least - :)

Cool - thanks for the reply

not at home at the moment so i can't check this.....

buddy has perlico as well and says that he is experiencing problems.....

sounds like the same stuff that was going on at the weekend....

can someone please confirm that everything is o.k.??

thanks......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TychoBrailleur

I'm with Perlico and it's been ok since this morning. I guess the morning shift started at 7am and plugged that loose cable that was dangling off that box in the corner back in... :confused:

Funny how these issues happen at the weekend and magically get solved on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eamonn98

Some sites weren't loading for me all day Saturday and Sunday.. switched to OpenDNS and all is well.. switched back to Perlicos own DNS today and I'm back to square one. Sent them an e-mail on Sat and they haven't gotten back to me.

So much for this award winning customer service they're always bragging about!

One swallow doesn't make a summer. If it was a DNS problem, everyone on perlico's DNS would be having issues. We've already shown it's not the case. People have said changing DNS made no difference.

I've been using perlico's DNS throughout this weekend, and the internet has been working fine since 11pm last night. Without any intervention on my part.

Did anyone who is having issues today just try a router restart??

afraid to restart the router in case i lose the connectivity that i have.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I'm in Dublin absolutely crawling all weekend and today.
    Their DNS servers are ****e and are down as often as they are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

seems to be okay now. no problems today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 roamer171

Never had a problem with DNS. I could resolve them using management login on my netgear router no problem also could ping out. I am sure it was not a DNS problem but maybe a routing issue from the master server way down the line. Its working 100% now, also I never lost connection allways had a healthy 3 mb/384.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

as soon as tyoed that, its like someone turned the speed back up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eamonn98

Could there be the off chance that some users are still being connected to a different DNS server? I read somewhere that Perlico used UTV broadbands DNS servers before they were bought out by Vodafone..

I know changing DNS doesn't seem to be a universal fix, but it worked for me and a friend, so there may be more problems than just the one.. I'm in Kildare and my friend is in Bray..

From what I can tell, the primary DNS (89.19.64.36) and the secondary DNS (89.19.64.164) were equally susceptible. A month ago, when I first had the problem, I thought it was my Level3 DNS settings. Because when I changed them back to perlico's, my connection worked normally again... I quickly lost this belief when I ran into the same problem (albeit briefly) a week later.

What we can all agree on is that perlico have taken far too long to fix this problem, and we still don't know if it will come back or not! I think we should look for some sort of small rebate for the lost service time, or at least a proper guarantee from management that it won't happen again. Even a statement about the problems and what perlico have done about it, ala eircom style, would be *something*.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lol_leo

Ive been having problems with Perlico also. First time I noticed was about 1 month ago with ebay pages not opening. Nows it my ping rate which is 515 ms and appears to be getting worse...

Ive switched off and on router several times with no improvement. Should I be changing DNS setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lol_leo

Epeen wrote: »
    Go into network connections (from desktop or control panel), right click the connection you're using and go to properties.

Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the box and hit the properties button. At the bottom change the setting to "use the following DNS servers" and type:

4 . 2 . 2. 1
    4 . 2 . 2 . 6

Press ok and see if you can now visit those sites.

These are the Level3 DNS servers and are more stable than eircoms anyway. You can always use the openDNS ones too.

Ive tried changing DNS settings but Vista is telling me these are not valid 'The network address is invalid'

Should I be putting a few more numbers in front of 4.2.2.1?

You can setup primary and secondary DNS numbers (IPs) as follows

Whatever about routing issues, ping times are absolutely unaffected by DNS settings. Websites could load faster, but the raw ping time will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Anyone else having problems again? My connection seems to be the same as the weekend, but it was fine yesterday. I don't understand what's going on but it's driving me mental :(

• Advertisement

(tech bit) If it worked for a day, it sounds like you were given a new IP address after the day was up (Perlico give each router a new IP every 24 hours).

Mine is working fine here, so I suggest you restart your router, and let us know if this works! I didn't have to restart to get it working on Sunday night, and I haven't touched it since in case Perlico suffer another relapse of this fault. Last weekend was the 3rd time it's happened in a month, though the other 2 times weren't as bad.

Advertisement