Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, my red hair has faded!!

• 24-07-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I hope someone can help!! I got my hair died red 3 weeks ago with some blonde pieces through it! It was more of a copper red than a bright red! After a few washes it really faded and now it just looks horrible!!! After spending €150 Im gutted it hasn't lasted longer!!
    I'm now thinking of getting some sort of semi permanant colour and putting it allover as I couldn't justify paying a hairdresser to do it again!! I remember a few years ago I had little bits of pink in my hair and I used to use stuff called 'Crazycolours' to top it up, was looking online at the crazy colours that are available and there seems to be 2... vermillion red and fire!!
    What Im wondering is... if I use one of them allover my hair would it turn out ok? I know the colour will be a bit mad on the parts that are blonde, but what will the parts that are already 'red' turn out like??
    Or, does anyone else have any ideas on what I could use to brighten it up?

Here is what the colour of my hair was supposed to look like, except I have a few blonde bits too!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

You can use Crazy Colours to top it up. Bear in mind that they are RED though (gallery here), not copper. Head into Terrisales on Abbey St., they have little ball things by Revlon that top up hair colour too, in slightly more natural colours but still semi-perm.
    http://www.revlonprofessional.com/english/rp_nutricolor.html

You could also try adding a drop of Fire colour into some conditioner to liven the colour up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Hmmm, yeah your right they do look VERY red!!! I thought that it would only go a mad red if the hair was bleached though? Maybe I could pick some up and do a strand test anyway and see how that goes!!
    Unfortunately I'm in Cork, haven't seen those Revlon ones anywhere! Will ring the salon supplies places here and see if they have them!!
    What would people's opinions be on using a home hair dying kit? Like the normal ones you see in chemists, garnier, loreal etc.. in a copper colour?? Would it turn out awfull?? I really don't want to go back to the hairdresser, everytime lately I have gone to him I haven't liked my hair, so this time I brought a picture and told him exactly how I wanted it but he still ended up doing his own thing and cutting a short fringe even though i wanted it long to the side!!! I know if I go back I won't be happy, I just want to get through the next few weeks until I can afford to get it done again and find a new hairdresser!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

You probably got a semi permanent colour put in - they all fade after a couple weeks. I get a semi done in my hair every month or month and a half and i can really see it fading after 3 weeks too - red would be more maintenance than a brown tho i'd imagine. definitely try putting some of that semi colour in your conditioner to liven it up
    nothing wrong with using home colours the only problem with them is that you dont always get the shade thats on the box and they are quite damaging to the hair - so i've heard anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Maybe the colour faded because your shampoo is too strong. Used to happen to me a lot :(. Invest in a good shampoo for coloured hair.

idunnoutellme is right - I think red tends to fade the most quickly - even permanent dyes.

My hairdresser gives me regular lectures for home dying (but meh .....it's a recession). The one thing she does say is, be consistent on the brand you use, so there's no bad chemical reaction. Have to say, I've had a few disasters.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Red just fades really quickly. I have natural red hair similar to what's in your photo and after a load of blonde highlights I ended up pretty much totally blonde. I went to the hairdressers to get it red again but it faded so quickly I just use a Nice and Easy colour every 2 months or so now. To me, it doesn't seem any different to the one the hairdresser use, I use the same technique (hardly a technique, she just lathered it in) and it lasts as long. It's also super cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

with regards to home dyes, give it a go. It really all depends on your hair - some hair has no problems, some hair hates it. I've been dying my hair for years and only ever got it done in the hairdressers once. But then again, I want mad colours in my hair and they never have them.

Red does fade quickly. I tend to use a pink-based red rather than an orange-based red, so that when it does fade, it doesn't look like cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I had a deeper red in my hair before and it lasted a lot longer! To be honest after a week it looked more brown than red, then started to look really brassy!!! I decided against the crazy colours, after a little thought I realized it wasn't such a good idea as I don't really want a crazy red.. just nice coppery red!!
    Thanks for the tips though:) I stopped off at the chemist on my way home from work and got "Loreal Paris Casting creme colour" in Amber!I chose this one over the others as the end colour for all hair colours is the same, and as I have blonde bits in my hair I thought it might look a bit allover the place if I had different shades of red in my hair!! Im sitting here with it on my head now and I hope it turns out ok.. Im really afraid!! :o
    If this turns out ok I won't be paying a hairdresser to do it ever again!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This is exactly why I never get my hair coloured in a salon anymore. They don't even last as long as a semi-permanent you'd buy in the chemists!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Red colours are the worst for fading, they're notorious for it.
    Dyed my hair black a few months back, then got a haircut and put Schwarzkopf live color xxl Real Red on it so that all the hair that had grown out would be red while the black bits would stay black. Natural hair was bright orange for 2/3 days but now its all faded to a really darkish red colour, or my friends have been saying it looks like a copper colour, and this is only 2 weeks on. All in all though I think it looks pretty cool.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

my hairdresser recommended redken shampoo and conditioner to extend the life of the red (she wasnt promoting it for her own purposes as they dont sell it there), it's good alright but a bit expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

*Lees* wrote: »
    I brought a picture and told him exactly how I wanted it but he still ended up doing his own thing and cutting a short fringe even though i wanted it long to the side!!! I know if I go back I won't be happy,

Story. Of. My. Life.

I find going to the hairdressers quite stressful as I never know what I will be like at the end of it! Althiugh lately I have been getting the same haircut done - long layers with a long side fringe, so nothing too drastic that they can mess up. I used to be more adventurous but it just isnt worth the pain anymore!
    This is exactly why I never get my hair coloured in a salon anymore. They don't even last as long as a semi-permanent you'd buy in the chemists!

This is true. I went from blonde to dark brown and after 4 weeks I was almost blonde again. I got it done a second time as the hairdresser told me
    it would stop fading after that and lo and behold after 3 weeks you can still see the dye in the water when I shampoo my hair - and I'm using colour friendly shampoo. It is really frustrating. I'm going to try a home kit next time - I have been using them for years and Nice and Easy burns my scalp so I'll have to try another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

juke wrote: »

My hairdresser gives me regular lectures for home dying (but meh .....it's a recession). The one thing she does say is, be consistent on the brand you use, so there's no bad chemical reaction. Have to say, I've had a few disasters.

Unless your colour is seriously messed up, they only say that to guilt you into spending a hundred quid getting your colour done by THEM! A good friend of mine left the hairdressing profession last year to go back to college and he told me this.

There's nothing wrong with applying semi-permanent dye. Yes, stay away from permanents if you can avoid it, but if you are happy with a 5 euro box of semi-perm why go to a salon and pay 10-20 times the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Red is very hard to manage. To be honest I have never had a dye done in a hair dressers because they don't last that long and the cash was never there when I was growing up, plus I like the idea of doing it myself at home.

For years I used and highly reccommended the 100% Colour be garnier, which I can't find anywhere anymore! Luckily I stopped dying the hair after 10 years.... I used to dye it red or a plum colour.. They would last longer than any friends who got theirs in a saloon. Even now I cant bare to spend 80€ for dye when I could do it for 10€ at home.

My little sister dyes her hair now and uses the red shade by the 10 minute hair dye company, loreal is it? but swears by it. I have noticed it fading so I brought her the red shampoo by John Frieda in Boots at 7-9€ a bottle and the conditioner but I swore by it when I was dying the hair too. You can buy a colour gloss for coloured hair for about €12 that you can put in to prolong the colour and its radiance. I usually use the brown one, wash the hair, towel dry it and out in the gloss for about 20 mins, you can use it for 3 mins too. Fantastic job.

If that's too pricey for ya Charles Worthington does a colour enhancer too for about €6 for a box of six but you can actually get them in the €2 shop for €2 and are just as good as the John Freida.

Advertisement