Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Liked Trudi Canavan, Garth Nix, Kelley Armstrong?

• 24-07-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have just re-read the black magician trilogy and now have nothing to read? Any suggestions?? My most recent liked authors are in title. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I have read all of Trudi Canavan's books.
    Just in case you dodn't know there is the age of the five trilogy i think its called and she also has a book out a few months now that is a kind if prequel to the black magican trilogy.
    Canavan's books were the first fantasy books I ever read when I picked them up last year and since I have read some Karen Millen/Miller and found her to be very good. It was the the innocent mage and awakened mage were the two of her books I have read.

The best recommendation I could make is Raymond E. Feist The Magican its the first book in a trilogy with Silverthorn and Darkness at setanon the 2nd and 3rd books. THere are alot more books after those three that continue some of the same characters and their sons daughters so if you start at magican and work your way through there is always going to be a reference to characters from the first trilogy which I find to be a very good part of feist's writing.
    Hope that helps, I might have dragged on a bit but I cant recommend feist enough and it was through boards that I found out about him after reading canavan's books and asking for a recommendation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cooney-tunes

Anything by Raymond E Feist or David Gemmell.

Terry Goodkind's "Wizards First Rule" (series is called 'Sword of Truth') is brilliant (my fave book ever):D i'v lent it to fans and non fans of fantasy and they have all loved it. I promise that you'll like it.

"A Song of Ice and Fire" by George RR Martin (first book is A Game of Thrones). Just started reading it and it's very very very good.

The Artifacts of power series by Maggie Furey. Kinda like black magican trilogy but different.

Will post more when i can remember them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Raymond E. Feist's Magician. It's absolutely incredible. Up until I found Robin Hobb I would have said Magician was my favourite book. It's incredible.

My second suggestion would be Robin Hobb. If you decide to start her books make sure you begin with Assassin's Apprentice (book one of the Farseer Trilogy) because her books (other than the Soldier's son ones, which I haven;t read) are kind of a continuing storyline and something you read in a later one may ruin the earlier one's for you to an extent.

I read the Black Magician trilogy, so based on that I'd say give Magician by Feist a read before Hobb as it's more along the lines of what you're thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Yeah I heard it wasn't the best. I'm reading the new one at the moment and really enjoying it. If you're a fan you should pick it up, but make sure you've read the Liveship trilogy first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

For me, Hobbs stuff started out as the best of the best, but each successive book has been not quite as good as the previous. Assassin series & Liveships are 10/10 and 9/10 for me, the Fools series I'd give a 7 or 8.

I'm now at the stage where I'll only buy the last Soldiers Son book when I eventually see it 2nd hand, and only then because I want closure after reading the first 2 (decent, and muck, respectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Yes!Yes!Yes!:)

Especially the soldier son books. Shaman's crossing is great, and Forest Mage is some of the most imaginative writing I've come across in a long time.I've read the books to death and I love her style.

Some Tad Williams would also be good. The war of the flowers is really good (although I never liked his Otherland books- everything else I enjoyed).

Jude Fisher isn't too bad either.

If you're into more complex plots and have LOTS of time on your hands I'd recommend Steven Erikson for somthing different. Can't wait till payday to get Dust of dreams. The man is simply....excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Trojan wrote: »
    For me, Hobbs stuff started out as the best of the best, but each successive book has been not quite as good as the previous. Assassin series & Liveships are 10/10 and 9/10 for me, the Fools series I'd give a 7 or 8.

I'm now at the stage where I'll only buy the last Soldiers Son book when I eventually see it 2nd hand, and only then because I want closure after reading the first 2 (decent, and muck, respectively).

Oh dear.. I must be in the minority liking the Soldier Son books then. I really liked the books. I was so-so with the Fools books though.... just goes to show how different people's tastes are!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmynippy

Ive read all of feist books....brilliant
    Shannara by terry brooks is ok,but forme,terry goodkinds sword of truth series is far and away the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I bought 'The Magician's Guild' and 'The Eye of the World' both at the same time after a trip to Eason's for something to do.

I read the TEoTW first and wasn't too impressed and then TMG. TMG hooked me and it was a pleasure to read the entire trilogy. I went back to TEoTW then after I'd digested it some what (its a very large book!) and I've been hooked ever since. The detail and sheer amount in the book and its sequels are mind boggling and it'll keep you ticking over until the release of the first book in the Traitor Spy (?) trilogy next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Grey2k

Try Fiona McIntosh, similar in scope to Trudi Canavan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_McIntosh

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

I've got to agree with the Robin Hobb recommendations, but seriously dont bother with the Soldier son trilogy. It's so bad it's almost offensive.

Some others you might be interested in are;
    James Clement's series The Banned and the Banished.
    Jude Fisher Fools Gold and
    Kate Elliott Crown of Stars.
    I'd love to be reading them again for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Harmsden

Robin Hobb's 'Assassin's Apprentice' is a must-read.

If you like Kelley Armstrong, I'm assuming you're into urban fantasy, in which case you should check out 'Valiant' by Holly Black, a novel about homeless kids working as drug mules for fairies in New York. It reads like 'Trainspotting' rewritten by JK Rowling. Dark, dreamy and hypnotic.

If you want to stay more within Armstrong's turf, try a book called 'Kitty and the Midnight Hour' by Carrie Vaughn. It's about a werewolf radio DJ who starts drawing too much attention to herself after starting a show about the paranormal. Really likable characters, really quirky stories and pages that blur by like puffs of smoke.

As for Garth Nix... Garth Nix recommends Scott Westerfeld? He just released a steampunk WW1 novel called Leviathan which is amazing. Maybe you should check out Margo Lanagan, an australian writer of seriously warped fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Plus one for Raymond E. Fiest Magician and George R.R Martin Song of Ice and Fire.

Also Brent Weeks "Night Angel" Trilogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

rere wrote: »
    I've got to agree with the Robin Hobb recommendations, but seriously dont bother with the Soldier son trilogy. It's so bad it's almost offensive.

Some others you might be interested in are;
    James Clement's series The Banned and the Banished.
    Jude Fisher Fools Gold and
    Kate Elliott Crown of Stars.
    I'd love to be reading them again for the first time.
    Kate Elliotts Crown of Stars is superiour to RR Martin imo, and I love the Song of Ice and Fire a lot, but I'd rate Malazan over both..,

If you're a fan of Low-Fantasy, you should try the Malazan books by Ian C Esslemont and Steven Erikson. There's a gorgeous 10 year anniversary hardback edition of Eriksons first book out at the mo.
    Seriously gritty, complex books.

Anyway OP, you could try David Eddings or David Gemmell.

Advertisement